C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

will a tuned ecu be reset back when battery disconnected?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C63 Sedan
will a tuned ecu be reset back when battery disconnected?

i have eurocharged v5 and it runs perfectly on my car. Yesterday i disconnected battery for about 2hours since i need to retrofit my airbag with a leather cover. when i re-drive the car afterwards i feel a bit different than before. c/s mode seems a bit hesitating but i am not sure whether the ecu has been reset to factory....

my question is:
will battery disconnection reset a tuned ecu (like eurocharged?)

if yes, is it reset back to factory (and lose the power upgrade) or..a default eurocharged tune? if the latter does that mean i need to drive a certain distance to let ecu adapt and learn my driving style again? or do i need to connect to OBD for a refresh?

pls help on my stupid question
Old 01-18-2015, 09:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 408 Likes on 290 Posts
'10 C63
You lose all the adaptations such as transmission shifting. Drive for awhile and it should relearn your driving style. The tune should still be there. EC even told me to disconnect the battery overnight to clear all the adaptations as one of the troubleshooting techniques.
The following users liked this post:
SolidC63S (01-26-2022)
Old 01-18-2015, 10:07 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
you will be fine, the tune won't be removed or lost, but as said above the adaptations will be reset
Old 01-18-2015, 10:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 c63 (p31) w/LSD
your tune is flashed or "burned" into memory and doesn't go away until flashed otherwise. But as you drive your car "learns" and adapts certain parameters dynamically based on driving style, altitude, fuel type, etc. These dynamic changes are done on the fly constantly by the computer but they are stored in temporary memory that is erased when power is pulled and return to their defaults once power is restored then adjust again dynamically from there again.
Old 02-04-2015, 12:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
e63 NA
Originally Posted by loungn14
you will be fine, the tune won't be removed or lost, but as said above the adaptations will be reset
Great I had the same question. I'm unplugging my battery for a while and I knew the adaptations would be reset but I was curious about tune.
Old 03-04-2016, 06:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
'10 C63
what else do you lose? seat memory? radio/sat settings? phone book? window and sunroof auto open/close? homelink settings such as garage door? navi memory previous visited etc?

anyone know the details?
Old 03-04-2016, 07:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
I had my battery unplugged for 3 weeks while my ecu was getting reflashed. I didn't lose any of my seat memory, radio settings, phone books, or even window and sun roof.
Old 03-05-2016, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 C63
Originally Posted by I am Jeff
I had my battery unplugged for 3 weeks while my ecu was getting reflashed. I didn't lose any of my seat memory, radio settings, phone books, or even window and sun roof.
i took your word for it and gave it a try last night... had it unplugged for over an hour... and then freaked out because i closed the trunk and now there was no power to open the trunk... good thing there was a key to open it with...

like you said... all that stuff did not reset... what i noticed today while driving was the button to lock the windows was activated... and the selection for the left or right side view mirror movement while in reverse was not selected... after selected the passenger mirror which is my default, it remembered my setting for it...

driving experience... to be honest... i couldn't really tell that much... it could have just been me but it sort of felt like rpms were going a little higher than usual in S mode... but then it could have been me trying to teach it that way and my foot just got heavier... oh well... no harm done
Old 03-05-2016, 12:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
Originally Posted by bluejae
i took your word for it and gave it a try last night... had it unplugged for over an hour... and then freaked out because i closed the trunk and now there was no power to open the trunk... good thing there was a key to open it with...

like you said... all that stuff did not reset... what i noticed today while driving was the button to lock the windows was activated... and the selection for the left or right side view mirror movement while in reverse was not selected... after selected the passenger mirror which is my default, it remembered my setting for it...

driving experience... to be honest... i couldn't really tell that much... it could have just been me but it sort of felt like rpms were going a little higher than usual in S mode... but then it could have been me trying to teach it that way and my foot just got heavier... oh well... no harm done
It's funny you said that. I did the exact same thing too and closed my trunk lid after I unplugged my battery. It was an OH SHYT moment. Searching for the key hole for the trunk in the dark wasn't fun.
Old 03-05-2016, 12:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 C63
Originally Posted by I am Jeff
It's funny you said that. I did the exact same thing too and closed my trunk lid after I unplugged my battery. It was an OH SHYT moment. Searching for the key hole for the trunk in the dark wasn't fun.
lol... there was a moment when i put the key in and was scared at the thought of it not working since i had never used it before... i had thoughts flash through my mind about when my trunk was switched with a carbon fiber trunk and what if the hardware wasn't installed correctly... but when the trunk opened with the key... i was all like