C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Need opinions. Throttle Actuators failed.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 C63
Need opinions. Throttle Actuators failed.

I have a 2008 c63 with about 91k miles on it. I purchased it at 70k miles and all maintenance and repairs have been done by a reputable Indy shop that's done work on quite a few of my friends and family's cars.

About two months ago the car was idling really high and he isolated it to a hose leak, car drove fine for the following month.

Last month while driving the engine light came on, car went into limp mode, and the rpm's started bouncing while driving. Codes pointed to a bad rear throttle body. He recommended only replacing that unit. The tests on the front actuator passed fine.

Next day same issue, rpm's go wild, diminished power, engine light. Codes point to front throttle body now. It passed the test fine two days prior.

I know the dealer recommends replacing entire intake manifold when this happens, but I'm being told it's not necessary (which I'm good with as it saves $$$). Concern I have now is whether or not replacing the front actuator will actually solve the issue.

Has anybody dealt with this? Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
Are you sure the TBs are bad? Maybe the intake has a crack and is letting air in.

Why would you replace the whole intake of only the TBs failed? Seems pointless to me.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 C63
Originally Posted by Merc63
Are you sure the TBs are bad? Maybe the intake has a crack and is letting air in.

Why would you replace the whole intake of only the TBs failed? Seems pointless to me.
That echoes what my Indy shop owner is saying. Obviously I am not mechanically inclined so I'm trying to get the best advice I can.

The codes only point to the TB's being bad, odd part is the fact the one that is now coding bad tested fine one week ago. That's what makes me curious. I don't know enough to guess about what else it could be though. If it is actually the intake I don't want to replace another TB...
Old 01-25-2015, 06:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
What's the codes?