Cleaning alcantara seats

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 08:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
A V8
Cleaning alcantara seats

searched alcantara, nothing came up.. what have you guys been using to clean your seats and steering wheel?

found this

http://www.autogeek.net/sonax-alcantara-cleaner1.html
Old 02-12-2015, 10:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 C63 AMG 507
Subscribed! Lol
Old 02-13-2015, 02:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by solekeeper
searched alcantara, nothing came up.. what have you guys been using to clean your seats and steering wheel?

found this

http://www.autogeek.net/sonax-alcantara-cleaner1.html
I have the alcantara (MB calls it "DINAMICA") inserts in my C63 sedan.

For regular maintenance/cleaning, invest in a good vacuum (the small kind with a hose capable of hosting attachments). I've included a picture of the Miele model nearly identical to the one I use (along with the various attachments).

Miele makes some great vacuums (especially for the purposes of interior detailing).

I use the small, slender, rectangular-shaped attachment to vacuum the alcantara. This easily picks up any dust, crumbs, etc. and makes the alcantara fibers "stand up" (they get matted down after extended use).

As a consequence, the seats/inserts continue to look brand new.

If you need to remove any stains on the alcantara, simply use a cotton terry cloth towel and some warm water. Make sure you just dab the stained areas as intense agitation will tear at the fibers.

Don't use a microfiber towel (unless it is a super-soft, interior-grade variant) because it will be too hard on the leather/alcantara. The Benz owner's manual also warns against using a standard microfiber for cleaning the interior.

Those two simple tricks have kept my DINAMICA inserts looking/feeling great.

If you really want to get detailed and don't have the funds for a good vacuum (which doesn't make sense because you'll be burning through a few vacuums a month in terms of fuel cost), you can use a special detailing brush to make the fibers stand up. Personally, I think this is insane from a practicality/time standpoint.

All you'll really need to keep the DINAMICA looking good is a vacuum with the proper attachment, a cotton terry cloth towel, and access to warm water.

Any cleaning products aimed at treating alcantara are a waste of money, in my personal experience. Warm water pretty much takes care of everything.

If you have any additional questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Seats after over 1.5 years of ownership:

Cleaning alcantara seats-image23_zps247d23d8.jpeg

Cleaning alcantara seats-img_3065_zps937ba402.jpg

Vacuum:
Attached Images  

Last edited by zibby43; 02-13-2015 at 02:52 AM.
Old 02-13-2015, 03:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
Gallado Spyder / AMG C63S / Cayenne
zibby! nice interior .. how do I clean the alcantara steering wheel ? just warm water ?

they are so smushed and nasty and I only have regular micro fiber cloth
Old 02-13-2015, 08:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts
2006 E320 CDI 2014 C63 507 Coupe 2012 E550 4M 2016 E63s Wagon
Zibby - nice write-up pretty much the way I clean mine.

I use my household dyson vacuum with the crevasse attachment, and I like it because it has optional bristles which help loosen particles.

The steering-wheel I use a cloth soaked in warm water (If it's really dirty/greasy I might add a DROP of soap to a gallon of warm water) and wet the steering-wheel. Then I blot it dry with a dry terry-cloth towel.
Old 02-13-2015, 08:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 C63 P30
thats some clean interior zibby.
When i was shopping for mine i found a 2012 that had the dinamica and i hesitated because i didnt want to keep it clean and assumed in a texas summer it would not feel too great

i need to try just water on my steering wheel though, its not too dirty but could use a light wipedown
Old 02-13-2015, 09:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG - PP+
as per Zibbys good recommendations, to keep it simple and not use anything harsh, but I will add I have been using RaceGlaze Alcantara cleaner for years, my M3 CSL had alcantara seats and whole wheel was covered, and this was one of the best recommended products on the CSLRegister forum, bar warm water.

Use sparingly, light misting over wheel or seats or gear stick boot, and rub gently with warm water, turning frequently.

http://www.raceglaze.co.uk/race-glaz...ather-cleaner/

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=325515

Amazon.com: RaceglazeUK Ltd. Alcantara Cleaner: Automotive Amazon.com: RaceglazeUK Ltd. Alcantara Cleaner: Automotive
Old 02-13-2015, 12:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
Great write up Zibby! I like the feel of alcantara on the steering wheel but I have been holding the non-alcantara parts of the wheel due not knowing how to clean it. I am also afraid of dulling flattening it from my handgrip.
Old 02-13-2015, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by dchl21
zibby! nice interior .. how do I clean the alcantara steering wheel ? just warm water ?

they are so smushed and nasty and I only have regular micro fiber cloth
Thanks man! You can pick up a terry cloth 100% cotton towel for pretty cheap (I've accumulated dozens over the year, compliments of my golf club haha). You can wet a section of the towel with warm water and then dab the areas that need attention (be sure to get the fibers moist but not drenched).

Then, to get the fibers standing back at attention, I would recommend using a vacuum with the appropriate attachment.

Alternatively, you can also use a new toothbrush to very gently brush over the fibers and this also helps them stand back up after being matted down. You'll be able to tell which direction you need to go to get the fibers to stick up. This step comes after using the wet towel.

Originally Posted by rediesel
Zibby - nice write-up pretty much the way I clean mine.

I use my household dyson vacuum with the crevasse attachment, and I like it because it has optional bristles which help loosen particles.

The steering-wheel I use a cloth soaked in warm water (If it's really dirty/greasy I might add a DROP of soap to a gallon of warm water) and wet the steering-wheel. Then I blot it dry with a dry terry-cloth towel.
Thanks, rediesel. Your process is virtually identical to mine. I have an attachment with bristles, too. I'm definitely going to give that a try now. Appreciate the tip!

Originally Posted by rentzington
thats some clean interior zibby.
When i was shopping for mine i found a 2012 that had the dinamica and i hesitated because i didnt want to keep it clean and assumed in a texas summer it would not feel too great

i need to try just water on my steering wheel though, its not too dirty but could use a light wipedown
Thanks for the kind words, rentzington! Appreciate it. It's a surprisingly forgiving material in that it stays cool in the summer and warm in the winter. You can never go wrong with full leather though. The leather color schemes available for the C63 are very nice.

Originally Posted by Dazzagt
as per Zibbys good recommendations, to keep it simple and not use anything harsh, but I will add I have been using RaceGlaze Alcantara cleaner for years, my M3 CSL had alcantara seats and whole wheel was covered, and this was one of the best recommended products on the CSLRegister forum, bar warm water.

Use sparingly, light misting over wheel or seats or gear stick boot, and rub gently with warm water, turning frequently.

http://www.raceglaze.co.uk/race-glaz...ather-cleaner/

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=325515

Amazon.com: RaceglazeUK Ltd. Alcantara Cleaner: Automotive
Thanks for the info. I am going to pick-up a bottle in case I ever need anything stronger than water. It definitely feels better going with a product that someone has had success with.

Originally Posted by otakki
Great write up Zibby! I like the feel of alcantara on the steering wheel but I have been holding the non-alcantara parts of the wheel due not knowing how to clean it. I am also afraid of dulling flattening it from my handgrip.
Thank you sir!

No need to worry about permanently matting the fibers. The DINAMICA seems even more resilient than other forms of alcantara. With the cleaning techniques discussed above, you can easily get the fibers to stand back up.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A V8
thanks for those tips zibby, helped alot.
Old 02-13-2015, 11:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 C63 AMG P31
Steam cleaning works well... That's how I take care of steering wheels. And a razor when it's too far matted, you just shave it.
Old 02-14-2015, 11:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A V8
Originally Posted by ToXicXxX
Steam cleaning works well... That's how I take care of steering wheels. And a razor when it's too far matted, you just shave it.

razor, as in just for the steering wheel.. or for seats also?