Does Eurocharged V5 map delete Mercedes transmission / cooling software updates

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 Estate
Does Eurocharged V5 map delete Mercedes transmission / cooling software updates

Hi guys,

My car is booked in next Thursday for a Eurocharged v5 map.

I am contemplating getting Mercedes to update my transmission software to reduce jerkiness and update cooling software to raise limp mode limit on Tuesday, prior to me going for mapping.

My question is, will the Eurocharged map delete these software updates?

Mercedes AMG at my local dealer tell me if I do these software updates after the map, the map will be deleted.

Not sure myself hence questions, would like everything done if possible.

Many thanks,

M
Old 02-20-2015, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 846 Likes on 594 Posts
E63S | X5
For starters, don't raise your limp mode temp limit... That is just asking for trouble. Take the right steps if you plan on running your car that hard and get the updated cooling kit MB offers. Seriously though, unless you track this car all the time I wouldn't worry about it because I doubt your car will see temps that high from just driving on the road.

Second: TCU Reset

Third: Dealers and aftermarket support know nothing. Absolutely nothing. They are telling you it'll be deleted to cover their ***. Your tune won't be touched. I've also given you all the resources here so that you don't even have to go to the dealer.

Suggestion, if you have a question about what a tune will/wont do and if this or that will effect it then contact the tuner. They'll know the best out of anybody and are probably still open today...
Old 02-20-2015, 05:42 PM
GRP

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
2010 C63
Originally Posted by PurpleHeartAMG
Suggestion, if you have a question about what a tune will/wont do and if this or that will effect it then contact the tuner. They'll know the best out of anybody and are probably still open today...
I am on the otherside of the world and Jerry (Eurocharged) replies to all enquiries very promptly. No need to seek a secondhand opinion when you can contact Eurocharged so easily.
Old 02-20-2015, 08:20 PM

C63 Estate
@purpleheart

1) From what I heard, the limp mode temperature limit was over sensitive on the face lift 63's, the coolant software update by Mercedes is an updated patch that simply raises the limp mode temperature limit to a more realistic limit without actually causing damage, it just comes into a play a few degrees higher, still protecting the car, but allowing me to go a bit longer on the track, as far as I know.

I track my car quite hard:

★ HD SCARING PASSENGERS IN A MERCEDES C63 AMG TOP GEAR TRACK + DRIFTING ...: http://youtu.be/4GuO0UOUGo8

★ HD TAKING SOLDIERS SIDEWAYS IN A MERCEDES C63 AMG - DRIFT, EXHAUST SOU...: http://youtu.be/pQNUn3aiReU

If you watch some of my later videos on smaller tracks I can barely get 2 laps. On the top gear track, not so bad, as has long straights. Granted, I need the cooling package, but at 3k + GBP, and with the w205 coming out shortly, I can't warrant the expense. If I was to keep the car longer I would make my own custom kit for far cheaper using custom coolers / lines etc, but plan to sell the car next year once W205's become available on the used market.

I do the British Drift Championship so if I want to go mental, I use my track inspired drift car, the c63 is a daily that gets thrashed 'occasionally' lol, doing the odd charity event and supercar days where I show people estate cars with goodish driver's can mix it with the fastest cars out there. Anyhow if the Mercedes supplied coolant software upgrade helps squeeze a little more out of the car that would be great for me personally.

2) Again, as far as I know, there is a physical software upgrade for the transmission on mct equipped cars. I know about tcu resets, but correct me if I'm wrong, Mercedes actually released updated software which smoothens out manual mode at slow speeds, reducing jerkiness. I don't think they just reset the tcu unless I am mistaken. I understand what this does, it 're-adapts' to your driving style, but was under the impression Mercedes released a improved patch. My car hasn't been to Mercedes main dealer since 2013 so thought they might have updated physical software since then?

3) I may have to go to the dealer for at least the transmission software update, if it does at least exist. If it's just a tcu reset, of course like you say, I can do this myself. Maybe I've read an Internet myth, but was sure I read they released updated software? Same goes for coolant software upgrades if this does actually exist. Thanks for your input though, so would a Eurocharged map not be touched regardless of what was done at a dealer ecu wise? Again was concerned by what I read on this forum, unless people were giving out the wrong info, I know sometimes knowledge can be all over the place, like grp says Eurocharged should be able to clarify. Cheers purpleheart

@grp very good point I will email them once I'm home.

Once I've had clarification on my above points, and spoken with Eurocharged direct, I can hopefully get everything updated, along with the map, unless I am barking up the wrong tree. Since the car hasn't been to a main dealer since 2013 I would have assumed something needed updating but open to thoughts.

Cheers,

M

Last edited by Monky; 02-20-2015 at 10:01 PM.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,810 Likes on 1,664 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
I'd like to hear more about this 'limp mode' software update which raises the limit. Is this a real thing? Raising it ~10 deg won't blow up the car, but will help quite a bit.
Old 02-20-2015, 10:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 AMG 507 Edition
Originally Posted by Monky
2) Again, as far as I know, there is a physical software upgrade for the transmission on mct equipped cars. I know about tcu resets, but correct me if I'm wrong, Mercedes actually released updated software which smoothens out manual mode at slow speeds, reducing jerkiness. I don't think they just reset the tcu unless I am mistaken. I understand what this does, it 're-adapts' to your driving style, but was under the impression Mercedes released a improved patch. My car hasn't been to Mercedes main dealer since 2013 so thought they might have updated physical software since then?
Have heard of no such thing. I suspect there is nothing to it, as people would be raving about it on these boards, and haven't seen anything credible on this. Would be interested to hear feedback if you have something concrete.
Old 02-20-2015, 10:28 PM

C63 Estate
A bit off topic, but the dealer I go to is Mercedes World, Brooklands England, where the old historic race track from the 1900's used to be. Its not a normal local small dealer.

It's 4 floors, houses race cars, gulwings, Formula 1 cars, AMG suites you name it if it's Mercedes related it's there, quite impressive to be honest.. They also do AMG experience days and have there own track, skid pan etc. As much as normal dealers might not know much, because this place pushes AMG's hard on site, they tend to have some slightly more useful knowledge, although as always a pinch of salt is needed.

Being a car dealer by trade, I've gotten quite friendly with some of the parts guys, talk the talk etc

I asked the parts guy if they had limp mode problems on early face lift models around there track and he disappeared for 15mins to ask a tech for me, he came back and replied very honestly yes. Noting that they had issues until the cooling package was added. I wasn't speaking directly to techs myself, so some info could be lost in translation, but he said later model 63's had slightly revised cooling systems to combat this, like 2013, not sure how true that is.

He also stated that if you buy the cooling package, they also update the software once it's done. I asked if this raises the limp mode temperature sensitivity but he wasn't sure.

However, for £168 respectively, I could have this software update myself without actually doing the ridiculously expensive cooling package upgrade, which let's face it, should be god damn free! I doubt they would let me update the software alone if it did damage etc, so maybe it does exist, and does raise the limp mode temperature, and might allow me to run a bit longer on track. If I am correct obviously one can assume that with the cooling package and software update combined it would probably never go into limp mode, who knows, but wonder if just doing the software update might help a little. Saying that it might not even raise the limp mode lol, but there is a coolant software update from what they say, whatever it may do.

Same goes with the gearbox software update, they want to charge me smother £168 for this on top of the £168 for the cooling software update, so assumed this was a proper update and not just a tcu reset?

And how food for thought, my original questions still stand. If the Eurocharged V5 map won't be effected regardless of what they do, despite them telling me it will, then we can't take everything I've been told as gospel, but the parts guy did go way out of his way to find out all this so credit I'm where's it due.

Cheers,

M

Last edited by Monky; 02-21-2015 at 04:01 PM.
Old 02-20-2015, 10:38 PM

C63 Estate
Originally Posted by Bardman
Have heard of no such thing. I suspect there is nothing to it, as people would be raving about it on these boards, and haven't seen anything credible on this. Would be interested to hear feedback if you have something concrete.
According to Mercedes World Brooklands, the software update is needed once the cooling package has been added, it's the last piece of the puzzle so to speak. But for £168 I can have just the software update alone on my car without the remainder package that comprises of new coolers / lines etc.

Same goes for updated transmission software, another £168, hence my questions.

I would not, for example, want to have both these 'software updates' for £336 combined added, only to find the Eurocharged map deleted them and vice versa. Going from what purple heart said this wouldn't be the case.

I've emailed Jerry at Eurocharged to see if he knows anything about this and to clarify.

Tuners here that sell the Eurocharged maps seem to know nothing about limp mode, I guess as most customers just floor it on the street and never really push the car hard enough to trigger it. I can however, a few laps at Brandshatch sideways and full ***** mode is activated a bit weak really, my 650hp 1994 Toyota can take it far harder lmao and that never goes in a straight line, much less complicated mind the C63 is a luxurious Road car at the end of the day, just be nice to do 3 laps instead of 2, can't even get tyres up to temp.

Last edited by Monky; 02-21-2015 at 03:56 PM.
Old 02-21-2015, 07:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 431 Likes on 354 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
Ask Jerry to be sure but the EC tune only changes certain parameters in the tune and is not a full over write. I don't think you will erase any additions made to the tune by MB.
Old 02-22-2015, 04:16 PM

C63 Estate
@Mort - many thanks, have emailed Jerry, hopefully get a response before car goes in for these software updates appreciate he is probably really busy fingers crossed! Might just go for it and hope for the best

Going to chop out my primary cat's alone and straight pipe, leave the rest stock, can't wait!
Old 02-22-2015, 06:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 431 Likes on 354 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
If your going to remove the primaries may as well get LTH and take the secondaries out too for good measure and get more hp to scare veterans as well as a great sound...LOL
Old 02-22-2015, 06:51 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2015 C63S E1; 2016 C450 AMG
I believe that if the dealer flashes new ECU software it will overwrite your tune. This will be a pain as you cannot load your tune back with the handheld device if the device thinks the tune is already loaded. You would need to contact EC and get the handheld reset.

The safest thing is to use the handheld to go back to the stock tune before visiting your dealer. Then after the dealer you can reload the tune from the handheld.

Good luck.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:31 PM

C63 Estate
@ Mort Ahh man their horrendous cost though lol, still gotta get a Quaife so I can do some proper skids this year at Top Gear haha I just thought as primaries were beefier and not many people do it, it might have a slightly more unique sound and a few extra ponies over most who do secondaries / resenators etc.

I'm usually an idiot and make everything as loud as poss, so was tempted to remove the whole lot, but it's still gonna have the OEM manifolds which are still a big restriction so thought primaries would be a nice middle ground, like this chap did, sounds noice!

That's the only vid I can find on YT where someone has removed just the primaries. Should make it a bit more interesting on track anyhow, if I can do more than 2 laps, refuse to pay for the cooling package, I would make custom coolers etc but plan to sell it next year when the W205 become available on the used car market, but may keep it for 2 years not sure yet. Got my drift car to throw money at all year just picked it up from Ireland, don't laugh, first time putting my mug on camera

@ irablumberg - What about if I get the software updates done on Tue at Mercedes, then get the tune done my Eurocharged on Thursday as booked, should be safe? Thanks for your input much appreciated.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:32 PM

C63 Estate
p.s will some similar style videos with the C63 this year, will do some filming on Thursday, and maybe a massive celebratory burnout Gotta get new tyres on the rear anyhow so might as well destroy them. Got Michelin Pilot Super Sports on the front now, what a difference!
Old 02-22-2015, 07:59 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2015 C63S E1; 2016 C450 AMG
Originally Posted by Monky
@ irablumberg - What about if I get the software updates done on Tue at Mercedes, then get the tune done my Eurocharged on Thursday as booked, should be safe? Thanks for your input much appreciated.

Should be OK, but do check with EC.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:07 PM
MBW Editor

Front Page News!

We had to cover that Catless C63 video on the front page. Too fierce!
https://mbworld.org/articles/catless...day-off-right/
Old 03-02-2015, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts
C63 507 with BS Body; 2008 SLK 55
1. The Eurocharged tune only affects the engine mapping, not the TCU.
2. The cooling package upgrade workshop instructions (available at this site) do not mention a software upgrade at all. It is intended to lower the oil temperatures. So, why would it still be needed to raise the limit for limp mode?

This whole story sounds a lot like 'I know a guy who knows a guy, who says he knows something'.

Can you please get the service bulletin or install instruction mentioning the software patch in conjunction with Cooling Package Upgrade 44O? I bet you it does not exist.