Fuse and Relay Location for Secondary Air Pump

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 401 Likes on 279 Posts
W463 G550 / C190 GTC //prev: W204 C63 507 / R170
Fuse and Relay Location for Secondary Air Pump

Can anyone tell me which 40A fuse and which relay control the Secondary Air Injection pump?

The dealer's technician believes my relay or pump are faulty and that's what's been giving me the occasional misfire and check air injection system warning lights.

A new pump and relay are on order, but I may need to pull the fuse if it misfires again.

I suppose this makes sense as a root cause for my issues - if the pump is running when it shouldn't be, it will lean out the mixture and cause a misfire?
Old 03-13-2015, 01:51 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2010 C63 P31 AMG
Originally Posted by Surge
Can anyone tell me which 40A fuse and which relay control the Secondary Air Injection pump?

The dealer's technician believes my relay or pump are faulty and that's what's been giving me the occasional misfire and check air injection system warning lights.

A new pump and relay are on order, but I may need to pull the fuse if it misfires again.

I suppose this makes sense as a root cause for my issues - if the pump is running when it shouldn't be, it will lean out the mixture and cause a misfire?
I went through a bout of misfires myself but not specifically related to the secondary air pump. For a 2015 car, real new..surprised you are having that issue. The relay I believe is located in the fuse box on the driver side fire wall. The box is black and has clamps on it. I am not entirely sure which fuse it is but I am thinking it the green one toward th center of the fuse box. The Hella fuses are for the lights.
Old 03-13-2015, 12:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
'12 C63 Black Series, '12 ML350 BlueTech
Originally Posted by Surge

My understanding is the pump mainly runs at cold start. So if it is faulty it won't inject air properly to the exhaust system and you will have a rich condition. I don't think the misfire are related because the air pump kicks in after cranking the engine. So if you have misfires it happens before. But I may be wrong
Old 03-13-2015, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 401 Likes on 279 Posts
W463 G550 / C190 GTC //prev: W204 C63 507 / R170
Right, but if the air pump stays on when it shouldn't (either because the relay is stuck open or the pump is somehow defective), then you can have a misfire because the engine control computer thinks the engine is running too rich (it senses the extra oxygen in the exhaust), so it leans the engine to compensate. It gets overly lean and cylinders start to cut out.
That's my understanding anyway.