C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MBH Headers/Mids/X + Carbonio airboxes + radiator blockoff plate DIY INSTALL/REVIEW

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 09:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,827 Likes on 1,670 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
Originally Posted by mthis
here u go.
c63 airbag: c63 airbag - YouTube
Awesome man, thanks!

Going to try this now. Think my software was just really old. Will let you know.
Old 03-22-2015, 11:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

So, quick update. No joy unfortunately.

Updated the software, ran the SRS module, and I actually don't have any codes. The airbag light is on (the red one) as well as the warning when I start the car, but there are no codes to clear. Ran all modules, and same thing. Looks like I will have to take it to the dealer afterall, because if there are no codes, and the airbag never deployed, then I'm not sure why the airbag light is still on. Thanks for checking for me anyway mthis!

On a happier note, I have some preliminary results on the effectiveness of the radiator blockoff plate, and it is very very good for us (see thread here: https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...your-cool.html )
Old 03-23-2015, 12:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Anything W/4Wheels
Originally Posted by BLKROKT
So, quick update. No joy unfortunately.

Updated the software, ran the SRS module, and I actually don't have any codes. The airbag light is on (the red one) as well as the warning when I start the car, but there are no codes to clear. Ran all modules, and same thing. Looks like I will have to take it to the dealer afterall, because if there are no codes, and the airbag never deployed, then I'm not sure why the airbag light is still on. Thanks for checking for me anyway mthis!

On a happier note, I have some preliminary results on the effectiveness of the radiator blockoff plate, and it is very very good for us (see thread here: https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...your-cool.html )
was the car on or off when you tired scanning for code?
Old 03-23-2015, 08:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by mthis
was the car on or off when you tired scanning for code?
I tired every combination man. Car running, no code. Car on key position 1, no code. Key position 2, no code. Restarted the software, computer, unplugged the connector, etc. A real head-scratcher.

The only codes I have now are related to my secondary O2 sensors (heater circuits) which I removed. Working on a solution to that also... will just leave this here until I can report back affirmatively on the 'fix'...

MBH Headers/Mids/X + Carbonio airboxes + radiator blockoff plate DIY INSTALL/REVIEW-img_2250.jpg
Old 03-23-2015, 10:14 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
2012 C63 Coupe P31
Nice write up BLKROKT. Have you dynoed before these mods? Before and after would be cool to see the gains. I own a 2012 p31 coupe also and will probably do something similar as your setup except oe tune and row boxes. For the secondary O2's, couldn't you have just left them connected and have Eurocharged deactivate them with the software? If they're plugged in, then the heater circuit is complete and you wouldn't get a code. That's what I did on my CLK500 with Kleemann headers and tune. I welded some extra O2 bungs into the downpipe I made and just plugged them in.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by quaalude
Nice write up BLKROKT. Have you dynoed before these mods? Before and after would be cool to see the gains. I own a 2012 p31 coupe also and will probably do something similar as your setup except oe tune and row boxes. For the secondary O2's, couldn't you have just left them connected and have Eurocharged deactivate them with the software? If they're plugged in, then the heater circuit is complete and you wouldn't get a code. That's what I did on my CLK500 with Kleemann headers and tune. I welded some extra O2 bungs into the downpipe I made and just plugged them in.
No before dyno unfortunately, but I do have 1/4 mile times which are more meaningful to me anyway. We will see how much I improve on my 12.1@117mph stock time in a few weeks when the tracks open up out here.

EC can shut off the cat detect sensor part, but not the heater part. I have cats. I also have bungs already on the MBH headers for the secondary O2s, but I plan on using those for my wideband AFR gauge. So I just disconnected the sensors, and now I'm getting code only for the heater circuit. I could have left them hanging zip tied outside the exhaust somewhere, but didn't know if they would even heat or function correctly that way. So now I don't intend on plugging them back in at all. My buddy suggested I do some research on the resistance needed to trick the ECU into believing that the secondary O2s were heating correctly. I figured 20ohm should do it. We will see.
Old 04-12-2015, 11:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I tired every combination man. Car running, no code. Car on key position 1, no code. Key position 2, no code. Restarted the software, computer, unplugged the connector, etc. A real head-scratcher.

The only codes I have now are related to my secondary O2 sensors (heater circuits) which I removed. Working on a solution to that also... will just leave this here until I can report back affirmatively on the 'fix'...

Update on this. It worked. CEL gone. No codes. Also no secondary O2s at all.

For those of you who want to get rid of your secondary O2s completely - either because your headers don't have an extra bung, or you want to use your spare bung for other purposes, or whatever - it's a simple fix.

This is for "offroad use only" of course. The fix is to solder a 50W 20ohm resistor (I used this one:
Chassis Mounted 50W Watt 20 Ohm Aluminum Shell Wirewound Resistor: Single Resistors: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific Chassis Mounted 50W Watt 20 Ohm Aluminum Shell Wirewound Resistor: Single Resistors: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
) into the heater circuit for the secondary O2. Tuners are able to turn off the 'sensing' part of the secondaries so as not to trigger a CEL, but are unable to turn off the heater part. This resistor tricks the ECU into believing that the heater circuit is functioning correctly - had to figure out how many ohms the heater circuit output to the ECU when functional, I think it's somewhere in the 12-40 range.

I cut off the secondary O2, electrical-taped and shrink wrapped the sensor wires (black + grey), then wired the resistor between the two heater wires (white + white). Wrapped all of it in plastic loom, reconnected plugs, and wiretied out of the way away from the headers.

Have gone through a bunch of cycles already, and problem solved. No codes, and no CEL. Was getting a code during the first couple of cycles, saying that the secondary O2 heater circuit status was "permanent", but it went away after about 5 cycles, and no CEL as a result either way.

Last edited by BLKROKT; 04-12-2015 at 11:47 AM.
The following users liked this post:
MBNRG (04-03-2019)
Old 04-03-2019, 11:43 PM

Received 236 Likes on 158 Posts
Thank you, BLKROKT for another informative post
Although more 'specialized' knowledge, his technique for fabbing Secondary O2 Emulators should be a sticky.

I don't suppose it is common knowledge that Eurocharged Tunes (and likely other tunes as well), code out the sensor function, but do not code out the heater function of these O2 sensors.
For those of us wanting to use these Secondary O2 sensor positions to connect an AFR monitor (ie Innovate DLG-1, etc), his Emulator technique will be necessary, to prevent not only the subsequent CEL, but also the engine from likely reverting to a fixed map/open loop type operation.
Thinking more broadly, his technique may also help those running with LTH + Tune, and Heated Exhaust Gas Oxygen sensor monitor "Not Ready" faults during Emission testing

Last edited by MBNRG; 04-04-2019 at 04:44 AM.
BLKROKT (04-07-2020)
Old 04-04-2019, 08:13 AM

Received 66 Likes on 29 Posts
996 Turbo, E86 Z4M, GLE 63 AMGs
Great write up! and work looks amazing... i always thought you already had headers!!!
Old 04-04-2019, 09:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by hadam3
Great write up! and work looks amazing... i always thought you already had headers!!!
I’ve has headers on for 4yrs already. MBNRG just dug up an old thread.
Old 04-04-2019, 09:34 AM

Received 66 Likes on 29 Posts
996 Turbo, E86 Z4M, GLE 63 AMGs
I’ve has headers on for 4yrs already. MBNRG just dug up an old thread.
lololol.
Old 04-12-2019, 04:08 PM

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts
2001 Audi S4 Sedan (RIP) 2013 P31 W204 C63 (RIP)
Great write up ROKT. I'm planning to hit Daytona at the end of the month and will definitely be doing this blockoff plate mod.

Originally Posted by MBNRG
Thank you, BLKROKT for another informative post
Although more 'specialized' knowledge, his technique for fabbing Secondary O2 Emulators should be a sticky.

I don't suppose it is common knowledge that Eurocharged Tunes (and likely other tunes as well), code out the sensor function, but do not code out the heater function of these O2 sensors.
For those of us wanting to use these Secondary O2 sensor positions to connect an AFR monitor (ie Innovate DLG-1, etc), his Emulator technique will be necessary, to prevent not only the subsequent CEL, but also the engine from likely reverting to a fixed map/open loop type operation.
Thinking more broadly, his technique may also help those running with LTH + Tune, and Heated Exhaust Gas Oxygen sensor monitor "Not Ready" faults during Emission testing
Apologies if I missed it somewhere, but this is for the secondary O2's after the primary cats, correct? I'm planning to delete my secondary soon and assume there aren't any sensors there to contend with but just wanted to be sure.
Old 04-24-2019, 06:01 PM

Received 236 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by BITRBO
Apologies if I missed it somewhere, but this is for the secondary O2's after the primary cats, correct? I'm planning to delete my secondary soon and assume there aren't any sensors there to contend with but just wanted to be sure.
Correct, BLKROKT's O2 Emulators are for the Secondary (Downstream) O2 Sensors for those running aftermarket Long Tube Headers + Tune.
This Downstream O2 Sensor is immediately after the Stock Primary Cat in a stock OEM setup, but this position can change on aftermarket Long Tube Headers (depending on cat or cat-less setup, X-pipe, etc)
If by 'delete secondary' you mean deleting Stock Secondary Cats - those have no associated sensors
BLKROKT (12-27-2021)
Old 07-13-2019, 07:44 AM

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts
2020GLC63
Just checking to see if you ever got to run at the track to see new time difference with headers.

edit didn't realize the thread is so old, saw recent photos from a few months ago lol ;-)

Last edited by brad65ford; 07-13-2019 at 07:50 AM.