C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Exhaust H pipe question.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 03:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C63 AMG
Exhaust H pipe question.

Hi. My car is going in this weekend for secondary cat removal plus resonator removal..

With the H pipe (in place of resonator) where is the best place to put the centre piece. Closer to the front or closer to the back of the car ?

I have gleaned from reading many other posts that the ideal diameter of the centre piece is 1 1/2 inches. I am after a deep muscle car V8 sound as opposed to a race car sound and that where you place the centre piece can make a lot of difference to the sound.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-17-2015, 05:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 847 Likes on 594 Posts
E63S | X5
Are you doing a full custom job, or do you have a prefabbed h-pipe?

I have an h-pipe in place of my secondary cats, not resonator. As for the diameter of it, I'd say it's about 1.5''

I don't think the location of the cross over will cause a difference in sound, you just need it to equalize the exhaust pressure
Old 03-17-2015, 05:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by PurpleHeartAMG
Are you doing a full custom job, or do you have a prefabbed h-pipe?

I have an h-pipe in place of my secondary cats, not resonator. As for the diameter of it, I'd say it's about 1.5''

I don't think the location of the cross over will cause a difference in sound, you just need it to equalize the exhaust pressure
It's going to be a full custom job. The shop that's doing it are very good. Downside is I cannot fully remove the secondary cats as MOT laws state that if a car came from the factory with secondary's they must "appear" to be there for testing. So it's a case of opening the cats, gutting the internals and then welding it back up again.

Thanks for the advice about the cross over pipe. The exhaust shop guy is very experienced and will make sure the banks are balanced out.

Last edited by -ian; 03-17-2015 at 05:27 PM.