C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Radio Reception

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 MB C63
Radio Reception

My 2013's AM radio reception isn't very good. As a matter of fact neither is the FM although its better than the AM. I took it in to the dealer to schedule an appointment to look at the radio as well as the steering wheel adjustment...it won't go up or down. Anyway the SA said that sometimes AM isn't that good and took me out to another car turned on the AM and it played perfectly. Made him look a bit foolish.
Later that day I get a call scheduling my service. I was told that MB doesn't think AM radio and reception are a big priority and that there was nothing they could do. I hate this sort of BS. You mean to say MB has purposely ignored AM radio because FM was better. And that I couldn't expect better.Hmm..what about all the MB's in the lot where the AM works perfectly well. Sheesh what a load.
Anyway after doing a bit of research I read that some cars had a missing fuse. I looked at the fuse diagram and determined that fuse 46 handled the Antennae Module. Assuming this module was for the radio antennae i removed the fuse to see what would happen. Nothing changed as far as my reception was concerned. This leads me to the conclusion that the module is not working. Is this a logical conclusion? Is the Antennae Module for, among other things, radio reception? Anyone know or have any opinions based on the foregoing?
Thanks
Old 06-07-2016, 08:32 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
2008 W204
Originally Posted by hmf63
My 2013's AM radio reception isn't very good. As a matter of fact neither is the FM although its better than the AM. I took it in to the dealer to schedule an appointment to look at the radio as well as the steering wheel adjustment...it won't go up or down. Anyway the SA said that sometimes AM isn't that good and took me out to another car turned on the AM and it played perfectly. Made him look a bit foolish.
Later that day I get a call scheduling my service. I was told that MB doesn't think AM radio and reception are a big priority and that there was nothing they could do. I hate this sort of BS. You mean to say MB has purposely ignored AM radio because FM was better. And that I couldn't expect better.Hmm..what about all the MB's in the lot where the AM works perfectly well. Sheesh what a load.
Anyway after doing a bit of research I read that some cars had a missing fuse. I looked at the fuse diagram and determined that fuse 46 handled the Antennae Module. Assuming this module was for the radio antennae i removed the fuse to see what would happen. Nothing changed as far as my reception was concerned. This leads me to the conclusion that the module is not working. Is this a logical conclusion? Is the Antennae Module for, among other things, radio reception? Anyone know or have any opinions based on the foregoing?
Thanks
Have the exact same problem on my 2008 C300...very frustrating. AM is for when I want to be serious and listen to CBS or Bloomberg.

I bought an antenna amp off eBay pulled from a 2010 C300 for $40. Pulled down the rear driver side C-Pillar and just like your experience with the fuse, when I completely removed the antenna amp, no change at all in FM or AM. Replaced it. No change in FM or AM.

I bought a used amp pulled from a wrecked car from a company that sells parts from wrecked cars, it wasn't like it was an auto repair shop selling the parts they replaced. Seems unlikely that the part was broken too, as it was from a car two years newer. But who knows.

To buy a brand new amp, it is $105, which I may do soon. This is the part:
http://www.mbpartsworld.com/p/Merced...048200089.html

I have COMAND which I am assuming you do too. I am wondering if it is something to do with the head unit, but I hope not.

Really frustrating though when you have cars that are from the 90s with perfect AM reception... it seems like a W204 thing too.

One weird thing I noticed is if you close the screen, but leave the system on (with the button right under the screen) the reception gets a little better. Also, when I put my phone on charge, it kills the reception. Shouldn't be like that.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
The MB diagnostic tester should be able to see if the signal is good, it has in the past so i would think it still would.

Here is what i would do as your diagnostic assumption is partly correct assuming the output of the amp is connected and the coax going to the antenna amp is good. I would tell the dealer that you are going to purchase an antenna amplifier and have an independent shop do the repairs, then you are going to send them the bill with a markup. And if you are feeling good about it, you might not blast them on google, Bing, Facebook and any other social media they do.

If you have rear tinted window, your chances of success are 50/50 with the dealership as they can always blame the tinter.
Old 06-08-2016, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 MB C63
Hmm..seeing as this thread was resurrected I'll tell you my solution. It may not apply to everyone but the primary problem was the tint. Apparently metal tints do not play nicely with some car's reception. When I removed the rear window tint my reception improved dramatically. Not saying that's your problem but something to think about.
Old 06-08-2016, 07:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
that is true also