C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Warming up car in S?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 02:47 AM

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
2018 e63s edition 1
Warming up car in S?

I keep reading people say wait until the car is warm to get out of C but is there any problem in warming up a car in S mode really (2011)? I'm not sure if it's just the tune my car has but I feel like I can keep RPM low and drive pretty gentle while still being in S mode and in theory S mode should be easier on the. Sure it will hold RPM longer and such if you're getting on the gas but when you ***** foot it, it seems to understand that and hold gears too long before up shifting. While we're on the topic, is C starting in second? I never liked the idea of that, it was like the skip shift in the corvette I had, I felt like I was just lugging the car.

#newbieC63ownerquestions
Old 06-19-2015, 07:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,810 Likes on 1,664 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
You're fine driving in S or S+ when the car is cold. Just don't go banging off the rev limiter until it's warmed up and you'll be fine.
Old 06-19-2015, 07:49 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 civic Si 2004 Acura TL 2013 MB C350
a warm up is a warm up...... no matter what mode u in.... as long as u let the oil run throu your engine cams moving parts ect. to make sure they are properly lubed.... unlike women that just get in, turn key crank and go... in any weather condition... that 1/2 your engine's lifespan... bad bad.. OPERATING TEMPERATURE is the key my friend!!!!
Old 06-19-2015, 08:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMG
Nothing wrong with starting the car and driving off once the revs settle after cold start.
Don't keep the car idling and sitting there, get it moving.
It's also fine to drive around in S mode without letting it get above 3-4000rpm. Some people prefer to drive around in C till it's warm because of the rough shifts.

I've found when i had my car different tunes and adaptations determine how it shifts when cold.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts
C63 coupe, Z3M Roadster garage queen
Originally Posted by ShaneN.
While we're on the topic, is C starting in second? I never liked the idea of that, it was like the skip shift in the corvette I had, I felt like I was just lugging the car.
Yea, C mode will always start you off in 2nd gear. With this engine, torque at low rpms is sufficient to keep it from feeling lugged. Note that you CAN force it to 1st with the paddles.
Old 06-19-2015, 02:15 PM

2018 e63s edition 1
Thanks guys, just wanted to make sure, by reading the board prior to owning the car I thought that S mode would always hang the RPM up high between shifts but if you take off gently it doesn't seem to shift any (if at all) later than in C. On that note, going for a drive!
Old 06-19-2015, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
C63 BS, GLA45
S and S+ only holds shifts if you're driving hard. Driving it easy it shifts just a tad later than in C as well as use first (already mentioned). This helps in warming up the gearbox oil a little faster without abuse.
Old 06-19-2015, 09:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 761 Likes on 527 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
^ This. The only possible downside I can think of is that while you're warming up the car in S, it learns and adapts to the "grandma" driving style. I force it into first (D1) when driving up the ramp from the underground garage at 5 km/h and will sometimes also drop it down to D1 before coming to a complete stop to warm up the gearbox oil a bit faster like rage2 suggested, but it usually stays in C the entire time until the oil is at 90+ deg C and I am ready to open it up. Don't want the ECU / TCU to adapt to "gently gently" in S or S+, only in C.
Old 06-20-2015, 02:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMG
Who cares how it adapts in S if you use M mode once it's warm
Old 06-20-2015, 10:00 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
E55K, Black on Black. C63, Black on Black. SRT-10 NightRunner 363of400
Diabolis, I bet that thing sounds wicked starting up in the garage and rolling up the ramp! I don't park in a lot of garages here in Charleston, but when I do or I'm traveling with it, people start grabbing for their children!
Old 06-21-2015, 10:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
C63 BS, GLA45
Originally Posted by RawBenz
Bingo.
Old 06-22-2015, 03:26 AM

2018 e63s edition 1
Originally Posted by Bigtickets
Diabolis, I bet that thing sounds wicked starting up in the garage and rolling up the ramp! I don't park in a lot of garages here in Charleston, but when I do or I'm traveling with it, people start grabbing for their children!
The car I just got has the full headers back IPE system and I live in a condo, cold starts set off alarms every time. I hope people can't hear it from in their units above though!
Old 06-22-2015, 03:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Originally Posted by RawBenz
Originally Posted by rage2
Bingo.
Yes, but - not all of us want to drive in M all the time, so in that scenario it becomes a case of the cure being worst than the disease. There are no issues whatsoever with warming it up in C and switching to any of the other modes once the engine oil is warm; warming it up in S requires that you BOTH have a gentler foot than you normally would in C while the engine is cold, and buggers up your ECU / TCU adaptive learning. I would instead suggest that you're better off warming up and/or driving in C if you're stuck in rush hour traffic, and keep S and S+ for "beast" and "unhinged beast" mode. It's a difference between a simple turn of the knob vs. the car adapting to your grandma driving style in S. Which would you consider preferrable? You can certainly do what you guys suggested, but I only mentioned that there are some potentially undesirable consequences of driving like a grandma in S.

Originally Posted by Bigtickets
The car I just got has the full headers back IPE system and I live in a condo, cold starts set off alarms every time. I hope people can't hear it from in their units above though!
It does sound absolutely wicked on startup. And, it did give me the scare of a lifetime once - in my infinite wisdom when I was coming back home one day (hot engine and oil - NOT COLD!) I decided to quickly shift to neutral as I was rolling in the underground lot and blip the throttle hard (like, to redline) about three times, for no other season tham aural pleasure like when you're approaching a tunnel or an underpass and you drop two cogs and gun it in 2nd. Lo and behold, there was an elderly lady with her daughter walking out of the building into the underground lot some ~50' away from me and apparently the noise scared the living c**p out of her and she fainted. Turns out she had a history of heart trouble, and for several minutes we weren't quite sure if I had actually given her a heart attack and sent her on her way to the Pearly Gates. Fortunately she came to a couple of minutes later - but those were probably the longest two or three minutes of my life. The paramedics had to give *me* Ativan to calm me down when they arrived. Yeah, I was $h!t1ess scared all right. Her daugheter just said to me "now you know how I felt - not to mention my mom".

On a happier note, a few months ago there was some guy showing off with his tricked out 997 Turbo at the Porsche shop where I spend a fair bit of my time and money. One of mechanics asked me to "blip the throttle a few times" as I was pulling in the garage in my C63, so I happily obliged. He said he actually saw flames come out of the tailpipes - I suspect it had squirted enough unburnt gas into the exhaust that it combusted when it hit the hot cats. Wish I had seen it myself. I know my 928GT does it on the overrun, but that thing has been massaged a fair bit (and talk about being loud) - this is a drivetrain-wise stock APX C63. Needless to say, the 997T dude promptly stopped with his shenanigans.

Last edited by Diabolis; 06-22-2015 at 03:11 PM.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:05 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
E55K, Black on Black. C63, Black on Black. SRT-10 NightRunner 363of400
^^. That's hilarious! I would have Paid money to stand next to the old lady and your friend with the Porsche.
Old 06-24-2015, 01:39 AM

2018 e63s edition 1
What's your exhaust setup Diabolis?
Old 06-24-2015, 01:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

What's your exhaust setup Diabolis?
100% stock and untouched (on the C63). The E55 has a full Supersprint from the headers to the tips.

Last edited by Diabolis; 06-24-2015 at 01:26 PM.