Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 03:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 846 Likes on 594 Posts
E63S | X5
Monitors wont set for inspection

So here is a fun one for you to ponder.

2013 w/ 18k miles. No tune. Bought the car last year and it was successful passing inspection. No issues whatsoever with the car and drove it to get inspected again today thinking it would be a breeze. Plug it in and done... Nope.

o2 sensors and o2 heater incomplete.

Again, no CELs, no codes even logged, nothing. Never cleared or erased.

I'm open to any advice on how to get these suckers to flick from incomplete to ok. I drove the car for quite a while today (~150 miles) doing everything from city driving to cruising at 55mph for about 50 miles straight. Now I'm just letting the car cool off and sit for the night and hopefully get them to set to ready soon.

And yes, I pulled up old threads about this but they had something to do with tuned c63s.

Edit: Solution in post 13

Last edited by CarHopper; 07-15-2015 at 09:45 AM.
Old 07-10-2015, 04:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W204 C63 Bone Stock; E36 M3 Supercharged 400WHP; X5 parts eater
Not sure why they will unset unless power was somehow cut off. But if they did unset try the following drive cycles:

Mercedes-Benz Drive Cycle

Drive Cycle Test Procedure

Note: The drive cycle test needs to be done two (2) consecutive times. Prior to driving the vehicle read the drive cycle instructions carefully and completely to ensure successful test result.

NOTE: Depending on engine temperature you may perform the testing starting with EVAP system (see step 7) or start with steps 1 through 4 or continue to step 6 (Air injection Diagnostics). It's very important to note that these tests are all based on engine temperature.

Drive Cycle Test Procedure Explained

1. OXYGEN SENSOR HEATER MONITOR - 02 Sensor Heater Diagnostics (do not interrupt this portion of the test). With the engine warm (greater than 80°C), and the transmission in Park position, proceed as follows:
- Start engine and increase engine speed to between 2,000 to 2,500 RPM for 2 minutes.
- After the 2 minutes, run engine at idle speed, with no applied load for 6 minutes (Air conditioning OFF, no throttle movements, no vehicle movement, etc).
- After this time period has been obtained proceed to step 2 below.
NOTE: If using a Hand-Held Scan Tool verify Step 1 test completion. This will be indicated by a check mark in the display field or the word PASS or COMPLETE.

2. OXYGEN SENSOR MONITOR - Lambda (02) Sensor Signal (do not interrupt this portion of the test, to be conducted directly after step 1 above has been performed). With engine temp greater than 80°C, and with transmission lever in position D (DRIVE):
- Drive vehicle for 3 minutes at 43 mph.
- After the 3 minutes has been reached proceed to step 3 below.
NOTE: If using a Hand-Held Scan Tool verify Step 2 test completion. This will be indicated by a check mark in the display field or the word PASS or COMPLETE.

3. CAT MONITOR - Catalytic Converter Efficiency Diagnostics (do not interrupt this portion of the test and must be conducted directly after step 2 above has been performed). With engine temp greater than 80°C:
- Drive vehicle with transmission still in position D for 3 minutes at 47-55 mph.
NOTE: If using a Hand-Held Scan Tool verify Step 3 test completion. This will be indicated by a check mark in the display field or the word PASS or COMPLETE.

4. FUEL ADAPTATION MONITOR - Self-adjustment of the air/fuel mixture (do not interrupt this portion of the test and must be conducted directly after step 3 has been performed). With engine temp greater than 80°C, proceed as follows:
- Place transmission into Park position and allow engine to idle. insure no load. (i.e. Air conditioning OFF, power accessories OFF) for 3 minutes. NOTE: If using a Hand-Held Scan Tool verify Step 4 test completion. This will be indicated by a check mark in the display field or the word PASS or COMPLETE.

5. EGR SYSTEM MONITOR - EGR System (Emission Vacuum Diagnostics): No DTC codes should stored for the intake manifold pressure sensor and EGR pressure transducer during this portion of the test. With the engine temperature at 80°C:
- Start and Drive vehicle (in D position) and then accelerate smoothly up to 2000 rpm, and then decelerate smoothly back down to 1100
rpm.NOTE: If using a Hand Held Scan Tool to verify test completion. This will be indicated by a check mark in the display field or the word PASS or COMPLETE. After this test step has been completed, turn ignition OFF, wait 10 seconds and repeat this test step again.

6. AIR INJECTION MONITOR - Air Injection Diagnostics: (do not interrupt this test when performing this test step 6).
NOTE: It is recommended to perform this test while the engine is cool. You may choose to place a suitable auxiliary fan in front of the vehicle to force engine cooling. Continue test step: With engine temperature less than 40°C, the air conditioning OFF and the transmission in Park position;

- Start engine and accelerate engine speed to 1450 rpm.
- Allow engine to run at this increased rpm until coolant temperature reaches between 70°C to 106°C.
- Allow engine to run with increased rpms for 7 minutes.
- After the 7 minute time period has been reached, stop the vehicle, place gearshift lever into Park position and allow engine to idle (with no load) for 6 seconds.
- Turn the ignition OFF, wait ten seconds and repeat this test step.
- Note that when testing the air injection system, the engine coolant temperature must be at the same temperature as when before the ignition key was switched off in the prior test step.
NOTE: If using a Hand-Held Scan Tool to verify Step 6 test completion. This will be indicated by a check mark in the display field or the word PASS or COMPLETE.

7. EVAP MONITOR - Fuel System Leak test (EVAP): No DTC codes should be present in memory for the EVAP canister purge valve, fuel tank pressure sensor, or the shut-off valve.
Note: Prior to performing this test (7) step:
- Ensure the fuel tank fuel level is between 1/4 and 3/4 full and
- The engine temperature less than 100°C with air intake temperature less than 45°C.
- With the transmission in Park position, start and idle engine for 20 minutes, with no load.
- Note that if after the 20 minutes of idling and no readiness codes were set, consider driving the vehicle for an additional 20 minutes.
- After these 20 minutes has elapsed, turn ignition OFF, wait 10 seconds and repeat this test step again.

Completing the above outlined drive cycle should set the proper readiness flags and complete the necessary emission monitors required to pass the emissions test.
Old 07-10-2015, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
^ Thanks for that. Going to try it out
Old 07-11-2015, 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I had that happen to my Kleeman K2 tune. The first year it passed and the second year, the rear O2 sensors were off. Don't know how the hell that can even happen?? I know the dealer didn't write over it because you will get the "Cat Efficiency" CEL if running stock tune with the 200 cell Kleemann cats. In the end, I had to resend my ECU to Kleemann for another tune.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
A little update.

Reached out to the previous owner. Turns out the car has a Eurocharged tune (one of the previous versions) and was flashed at a dealer so there was no handheld with the car.

Then I reached out to Eurocharged about this. Luckily, I bought a handheld + tune last week that should arrive soon. EC said that even though the car is tuned right now, when I send back file on the car they'll be able to see the stock file as well. Then, they'll send me back a stock file and a v5 file.

We shall see how this turns out. I'm still scratching my head as to how the monitors were good to go for the first inspection and not this one.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by Sincity
I had that happen to my Kleeman K2 tune. The first year it passed and the second year, the rear O2 sensors were off. Don't know how the hell that can even happen?? I know the dealer didn't write over it because you will get the "Cat Efficiency" CEL if running stock tune with the 200 cell Kleemann cats. In the end, I had to resend my ECU to Kleemann for another tune.
^^ this happened to me with my 09 as well.

I think the inspection changed from last year to this and now it was caught.
Old 07-14-2015, 06:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by PurpleHeartAMG
We shall see how this turns out. I'm still scratching my head as to how the monitors were good to go for the first inspection and not this one.
Is it possible that the last inspection was a safety only? Where I live in NY,
model year 2013 would not have gotten an emissions inspection in 2014.

First OBD inspection is after the vehicle is two model years old. Just a thought. Either way let us know how you make out after the new tune.
Old 07-14-2015, 07:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 C63 P30
A little update.

Reached out to the previous owner. Turns out the car has a Eurocharged tune (one of the previous versions) and was flashed at a dealer so there was no handheld with the car.

Then I reached out to Eurocharged about this. Luckily, I bought a handheld + tune last week that should arrive soon. EC said that even though the car is tuned right now, when I send back file on the car they'll be able to see the stock file as well. Then, they'll send me back a stock file and a v5 file.

i wonder why the monitors would be off with the tune anyway, i thought that they were on unless you had a catless setup.
my inspections due next month so i better check it out
Old 07-14-2015, 09:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
C63
it's easier for the tuner to turn them off.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
Originally Posted by Winker2112
Is it possible that the last inspection was a safety only? Where I live in NY,
model year 2013 would not have gotten an emissions inspection in 2014.

First OBD inspection is after the vehicle is two model years old. Just a thought. Either way let us know how you make out after the new tune.
Yup, just ran out and checked. Didn't think to look before but it was only safety inspected last time.

So pretty much mystery solved on this one. Car came with tune, never passed an emissions inspection, only safety. Now I have to figure out how to get the monitors (which have probably always been incomplete from the tune) to set. I'm hoping EC can set this up because I do not want to take it to the dealer and will just drive around uninspected.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:45 AM

2012 C63, 2014 GLK350, 1993 SVT Cobra
Yup, just ran out and checked. Didn't think to look before but it was only safety inspected last time.

So pretty much mystery solved on this one. Car came with tune, never passed an emissions inspection, only safety. Now I have to figure out how to get the monitors (which have probably always been incomplete from the tune) to set. I'm hoping EC can set this up because I do not want to take it to the dealer and will just drive around uninspected.
That monitor reset process was a royal pain in the *** on my Shelby as well. Pretty much all the tuners turn them off. Ford Racing even had a step by step process to get the monitors to reset...and it worked like a champ. The tuners tell you to just drive it normally for a few hundred miles but even that didn't work in my case.

Jerry at EC told me the monitors are left on in the latest tunes. I'm curious as to what you find.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!

The simplest solution is to shut off the rear o2 sensors. It'll give you 1 not ready, but it'll allow you to pass your emissions testing. The other solution that can resolve your issue is to replace your dead rear o2 sensors. Take your pick.
Old 07-15-2015, 09:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
Bumping this one last time just in case this ends up being a thread someone pulls up during a search. Problem solved...

It was the tune. I'm running the v5 right now an it was actually my o2 sensors that have now set. Waiting on the o2 heaters but I can at least pass now.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...-customer.html
Old 07-15-2015, 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
Andddd they are all set now
Old 07-15-2015, 11:45 AM

What was changed? Was the tune changed to enable O2 monitors? Was the O2 monitors disabled in the tune? or was the tune set back to stock?
Old 07-15-2015, 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
Originally Posted by Gerry_M
What was changed? Was the tune changed to enable O2 monitors? Was the O2 monitors disabled in the tune? or was the tune set back to stock?
The tune that was on the car previously disabled those monitors. All I did was upload the eurocharged v5 map and the monitors set with the tune on the car. So yes, you can pass inspections with the v5
Old 07-15-2015, 12:58 PM

The tune that was on the car previously disabled those monitors. All I did was upload the eurocharged v5 map and the monitors set with the tune on the car. So yes, you can pass inspections with the v5
Good news. What year is your car and does it have a perf package?
Nice to see that you saw an improvement from what ever old EC tune that was there to the new one.
Old 07-15-2015, 12:59 PM

2012 C63, 2014 GLK350, 1993 SVT Cobra
Awesome. Thats exactly what I was hoping to hear.
Old 07-15-2015, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
Originally Posted by Gerry_M
Good news. What year is your car and does it have a perf package?
Nice to see that you saw an improvement from what ever old EC tune that was there to the new one.
2013 and non pp. I do have the lsd though which is awesome.

Definitely an improvement not only in performance but the car feels much much healthier. Smooth shifting etc. It is a little quirky in C mode when it is cold but probably because it just wants to go go go and I'm not letting it.