C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Am I the only one whose voice-activated Nav is a POS?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts
C63 coupe, Z3M Roadster garage queen

I have a 2012 coupe with a voice-activated Nav that drives me bat-**** crazy. Its a successful event if it takes less than half a dozen tries to get an address entered while I'm driving. If you find something in the news about a road-rage shooting where the victim is a Mercedes COMAND system, it'll probably be me.

Are others having a similar experience? Are there differences between model years? Has anyone found a way to improve this POS?
Old 08-03-2015, 04:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
C63 AMG P30 *EuroCharged*| Porsche Cayenne | Buell XB9SX

I've found all of the convenience features of these cars to be worthy of the POS label.
Old 08-03-2015, 05:44 PM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
C63
Who cares about the COMAND system? Just say "OK Google, navigate to X" to your smartwatch. That seems to work in just about all cars that I sit in. Even works from the backseat.

I bought the car for engine, so no, COMAND doesn't give me road rage. It doesn't even know any phone numbers. My phone will take voice commands for that too.

What does bother me is that car mags, journalists and car manufacturers even spend time on this stuff. They actually think that they can add value. Instead, they should just integrate Car Play/Android Auto and go focus on displaying, you know, car information.
Old 08-03-2015, 05:44 PM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
C63
Who cares about the COMAND system? Just say "OK Google, navigate to X" to your smartwatch. That seems to work in just about all cars that I sit in. Even works from the backseat.

I bought the car for engine, so no, COMAND doesn't give me road rage. It doesn't even know any phone numbers. My phone will take voice commands for that too.

What does bother me is that car mags, journalists and car manufacturers even spend time on this stuff. They actually think that they can add value. Instead, they should just integrate Car Play/Android Auto and go focus on displaying, you know, car information.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford Truck, 2014 C63 AMG 507
^^. I agree. I've used the Command Nav only a half full of times. The Google phone search and Nav are n
Better than any in car system I've ever seen. I also have a New Audi with their latest MMI Nav system. It's pretty but still no match for a smart phone and Google.
Hell, with Google you don't even need an address if it's a business. Just voice command a search for the business and press the directions icon.

If all car mfgs would get their sh_t together and allow their in car systems to mirror your smart phone screens that would replace pretty much any in car Nav on the market. The only down side.... No cell coverage means no Google maps.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:24 PM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
2001 Porsche 911 Turbo (heavily modified)
Originally Posted by odonnks
^^. I agree. I've used the Command Nav only a half full of times. The Google phone search and Nav are n
Better than any in car system I've ever seen. I also have a New Audi with their latest MMI Nav system. It's pretty but still no match for a smart phone and Google.
Hell, with Google you don't even need an address if it's a business. Just voice command a search for the business and press the directions icon.

If all car mfgs would get their sh_t together and allow their in car systems to mirror your smart phone screens that would replace pretty much any in car Nav on the market. The only down side.... No cell coverage means no Google maps.
They need a hybrid of both. Mirroring of phone nav but if no cell service just use traditional HD nav backup
Old 08-05-2015, 05:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
They just need to outsource the nav system to Garmin or TomTom, kind of like outsourcing the braking system to Brembo.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63
Mine is possessed. I had to visit a funeral home. I didn't remember the address or name of funeral home but remembered the road.
Had a time but got the road in. It took me to the exit and the road. As I was driving down the road it said destination ahead 100 ft on right.
Actually it was about 200 ft.
Spalin it to me Lucie.
Old 08-07-2015, 09:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 Diamond White C63 Coupe
I hate that bitc*!
Old 04-06-2016, 12:33 PM

CLA
Angry Voice recognition/activation/navigation

I have 2015 CLA250. I've taken it into the dealer several times because the "Enter Destination" command is worthless. They claim there is an update which MAY make it better, but they haven't got to my vin yet. I also think it is a POS. Anyone else having similar problems?
Old 04-06-2016, 01:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts
C63 coupe, Z3M Roadster garage queen
Originally Posted by hscala
I have 2015 CLA250. I've taken it into the dealer several times because the "Enter Destination" command is worthless. They claim there is an update which MAY make it better, but they haven't got to my vin yet. I also think it is a POS. Anyone else having similar problems?
Welcome to MBWorld! I'm sorry to hear that your new car's COMAND behaves as badly as ours does.

You're on the right topic but not the right car. This forum is about the C63AMG which was last updated in 2012, and we probably have a different COMAND interface than you do. You might get better feedback on the CLA forum at https://mbworld.org/forums/cla-coupe-c117-176/
Old 04-06-2016, 02:31 PM

CLA
Navigation

Originally Posted by zcct04
I have a 2012 coupe with a voice-activated Nav that drives me bat-**** crazy. Its a successful event if it takes less than half a dozen tries to get an address entered while I'm driving. If you find something in the news about a road-rage shooting where the victim is a Mercedes COMAND system, it'll probably be me.

Are others having a similar experience? Are there differences between model years? Has anyone found a way to improve this POS?
I have a year old CLA250. The "enter destination" command almost never works. Brought it in several times but no improvement. They claim they may have a fix but haven't reached my vin in several months. They've made this claim before. Anyone else having this problem?
Old 04-06-2016, 06:24 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
W204 C63 P30 / C190 GT S
You're not alone. I never use voice commands in any car, they're usually useless and just waste the time they're supposed to save
Old 04-06-2016, 06:37 PM

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts
2020 AMG C63 Coupe, 2012 C63 AMG Coupe, 1989 560SL
i pretty much only use the comand system for bluetooth audio/integration from my phone. I still find it better to use than most other manufacturer offered systems when I have to use it but unless you have to why bother?
Old 04-06-2016, 08:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 408 Likes on 290 Posts
'10 C63
I use my phone. The car's nav is like asking my ex-wife to navigate. It was slow and never got us to the right place. Plus there's no way I'm spending $200+ to update it. $70k car and you won't update the nav for free?! There's one thing tesla got right...
Old 04-08-2016, 06:47 PM

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts
2016 Cardinal Red AMG C63 S
I used mine for the first time, and actually didn't find it that bad...