New Owner Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C63 AMG
New Owner Questions

Hey all, just a few quick questions from a new owner:

1) I miss having a nice place to put my sunglasses, and wish there was some way to convert the useless ashtray on my 2012 sedan to a nice sunglass holder. Haven't seen any options for that though. I have however seen a part which appears to be intended to mount up by the "oh Jesus!" handle on the driver or passenger upper door frame. Has anyone installed one of these? Are there better options? Yeah, I know I can just stick them in the center console, but that is a little annoying because I have other crap in there.

2) I get an odd suspension binding while reversing and steering sharply - for example, backing straight out of the driveway then cutting sharply while still reversing to swing out into the street. I get some binding up front which is hard to describe, It's not a tire rubbing as far as I can tell but I guess I can't totally rule that out - the car is on stock wheels and I assume stock-size tires, but as I write this I realize that I haven't actually gone and looked to verify that. Ok, I may answer my own question then - but just in case, has anyone else had any weirdness with front suspension noise while backing / turning?

3) Ok, nit-picky one here. Does anyone feel that the sound system makes SiriusXM sound really compressed? I really haven't noticed satellite radio sounding this crappy in my other cars, and other sources - even streaming bluetooth - sound pretty good in this car. For some reason though the satellite sounds really crunched and I hear a lot of compression artifacts. I'm not really a picky listener either - I'm not one of those "I gotta have all of my music in lossless formats" guys. Ok, I solve this one by putting my right foot down and hearing the big V8 roar! But still, would be nice to know if I am crazy or not. Maybe the XM folks are just starting to compress a lot more to try and squeeze more channels?
Old 12-22-2015, 09:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C63 AMG
Figured out #3

Ok, I answered my own question on #3. All of my other cars have XM receivers, and apparently MB cars feature Sirius receivers. Did some googling around last night and discovered that apparently Sirius uses an older, less efficient audio codec and therefore worse sound quality, particularly given that SiriusXM is trying to squeeze as many channels on as they can. Bummer.
Old 12-22-2015, 11:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 396 Likes on 275 Posts
'13 C63 AMG P31
1 - I either wear mine, carry them on me, or just put them in my lap/seat. I am sure there are some clip on things. I saw yesterday a fellow member had like a door handle insert he used for coins.
Originally Posted by Pepito

2 - It could be due to your car being cold as well. Do you have stock wheels/tires or are they aftermarket. Like you said, it could be something rubbing.
3 - I never use sirius, I usually use the bluetooth and that works great.
Old 12-22-2015, 06:11 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2014 C63, 2016 GLE Coupe, 2015 G550, 1968 Datsun 2000
Here's mine.
Bought eBay, replace with driver side handle. Works okay for me.