Sponsored by:

Something Seriously Wrong With Car, Need Advise/Help Please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 146 Likes on 111 Posts
2012 c63 AMG, 2011 GLK 350, 2019 GLS 450
Maybe you had a bad batch because I disagree fully. I just got pss for my car 235/35/19 and 265/30/19 and they are amazing blows the contisport out of the water def the best tire I have ever had. Car feels great so very surprised with you saying they don't work on our cars. Cause they work great for me and others that recommended them to me here on the forum
Old 04-19-2016, 09:45 AM

Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts
2009 c63
Originally Posted by AMGonFire
Maybe you had a bad batch because I disagree fully. I just got pss for my car 235/35/19 and 265/30/19 and they are amazing blows the contisport out of the water def the best tire I have ever had. Car feels great so very surprised with you saying they don't work on our cars. Cause they work great for me and others that recommended them to me here on the forum
PSS are the most supported tire on this site and validated by the local tuner who mounted my ties just last week.

Agree more with bad batch theory. Merc has a relationship with Continental... so no surprise to push it...
Old 04-19-2016, 10:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,835 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
Michelin PSS are perfectly fine for our cars and the weight ratings are right where they need to be. Many of us run them hard with zero problems. The Mercedes 'MO' tires are their version of a tire with run-flat capabilities, that's all that means.

I mean, you're talking about spinning the front tires. Which is not possible. So my vote here is for 'user error' for whatever that's worth.

What you've described sounds more suspension related. Or even sounds like someone who had wheels installed incorrectly or non hub-centric. Whatever either way problem solved (until you post a new thread that you're weaving all over the road and spinning the front wheels again)

Last edited by BLKROKT; 04-19-2016 at 10:30 AM.
Old 10-13-2016, 12:03 PM

Received 76 Likes on 48 Posts
C63 AMG Saloon
Well it looks like it was never sorted but just improved because the PSS were a softer tyre. It has eventually got worse so I took the car yesterday to a very trusted tuner MSL performance who came out in the car, put it on the ramps and straight away found the problem.

Both the front upper control arms have play in them which you can feel when pulled or pushed with your hand! Mercedes told me they checked all the suspension! The problem has got worse now with the steering feeling very light and floating. I also found a thread on the UK forum which a guy had the same problem, same car and on PSS tyres so while on his trip round europe he went to MB Italy they told him it was the upper control arms on the front, went back to the UK which his nearest dealer replaced them and it solved the problem.

So I know mine are faulty and have proof of the problem and resolution so its booked into Mercedes in two week. I have extended warrenty but they said if they cant find the fault they will have to charge me £100. I told them I have felt the failed parts and that whilst it was on the ramp there were 5 other C63 amg there some even 3 years older and not one had play!

So hopefully it will all be sorted but I thought I would update now for others that may have the same problem

Last edited by Phil_T; 10-13-2016 at 12:07 PM.
Old 10-13-2016, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,835 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
Originally Posted by Phil_T
Well it looks like it was never sorted but just improved because the PSS were a softer tyre. It has eventually got worse so I took the car yesterday to a very trusted tuner MSL performance who came out in the car, put it on the ramps and straight away found the problem.

Both the front upper control arms have play in them which you can feel when pulled or pushed with your hand! Mercedes told me they checked all the suspension! The problem has got worse now with the steering feeling very light and floating. I also found a thread on the UK forum which a guy had the same problem, same car and on PSS tyres so while on his trip round europe he went to MB Italy they told him it was the upper control arms on the front, went back to the UK which his nearest dealer replaced them and it solved the problem.

So I know mine are faulty and have proof of the problem and resolution so its booked into Mercedes in two week. I have extended warrenty but they said if they cant find the fault they will have to charge me £100. I told them I have felt the failed parts and that whilst it was on the ramp there were 5 other C63 amg there some even 3 years older and not one had play!

So hopefully it will all be sorted but I thought I would update now for others that may have the same problem
That's what we were all telling you in the first place - that it had to be suspension-related (see immediately above your post). It couldn't have been the tires, the MPSS is totally fine for our cars, weight rating and all. Glad you finally had it properly checked out before you got yourself killed. I'd go to the Mercedes that sold you those Conti tires and demand some sort of compensation because of their gross incompetence.
Old 11-07-2016, 08:27 AM

C63 AMG Saloon
Update

Car went into Merc a couple of weeks ago, They rung me up after an hour and said we dont know what part you mean! How hard is upper control arms with balljoint facing downwards hard to understand! They asked for the phone number of the independent that diagnosed the problem so I asked why, which they said so we can ask what part and the problem was which I told them already twice!

They said ok we will check again and call back. (I said I would give them the independent number if they needed it) They called back and said nothing is wrong with it. I asked what ramp it was on which they said 2 post! Hahaha I replied testing suspension on a 2 post without the weight of the car on the suspension and told them to put it on a lift.

They called back saying they found play but it wasnt enough to cause the problem I am having and said they put it on an MOT test and it passed (even merc warrenty said that means nothing and wouldnt diagnose the problem) They told me there was nothing wrong with the car and any further investigation would be £100 an hour and could take 4 hours and they may not find anything. I said all them other 5 c63's I tested must be broke and mine is fine then.

I asked if they drove the car which you could tell on the phone they wasnt sure and they just said yes on a small test route. I told them at the start to drive it and go on the highway to see how dangerous it was.

Anyway I rung merc extended warrenty explained everything and they said they cant see why they dont put a claim in as the work would get done and said when I pick the car up tell them to call them, When I got there the guy that sold me the car three years ago was there and I have always had a good relationship with everytime I have been in and he asked what was up and told him expecting nothing but he spoke to the manager and they spoke to merc extended warrenty which helped even more and now they are replacing them had to wait another two weeks for the parts to come in so once the car is in and back I will update again.

As others in UK express constantly merc customer service regarding issues is awful. Thank god the sales guy and extended warrenty is a great service though.

Last edited by Phil_T; 11-07-2016 at 08:31 AM.
Old 11-07-2016, 08:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,594 Likes on 938 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
You sure it's not the cross strut (AKA Lower Control Arm)?

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...all-joint.html
Old 11-07-2016, 08:59 AM

C63 AMG Saloon
Originally Posted by Jasonoff
You sure it's not the cross strut (AKA Lower Control Arm)?

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...all-joint.html
It's the upper on mine not the lower, can remember having to put my arm right up to get to it and push/pull it and felt the play.

The lowers were fine
Old 11-07-2016, 09:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 AMG
It's the upper on mine not the lower, can remember having to put my arm right up to get to it and push/pull it and felt the play.

The lowers were fine
Odd that joint failed. At least that arm is cheap, lots of decent after market available to replace it with if merc won't warranty.
Old 11-07-2016, 09:07 AM

C63 AMG Saloon
Odd that joint failed. At least that arm is cheap, lots of decent after market available to replace it with if merc won't warranty.
Part 9

https://mbworld.org/forums/attachmen...suspension.jpg

They are $200 each without fitting and full geometry. I looked to see if there were after market parts but couldnt find any
Old 11-07-2016, 09:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 AMG
Part 9

https://mbworld.org/forums/attachmen...suspension.jpg

They are $200 each without fitting and full geometry. I looked to see if there were after market parts but couldnt find any
Weird you couldn't find any. Here's a few part numbers you can look up.

Moog: RK620086 & RK620087
Dorman: 520953 & 520954
Flennor: FL582F & FL581F
Mas: CB28263 & CB28264
Uro: 2043304311 & 2043304411

Lemforder, FEQ, Vaico, Centric, all have OEM replacements as well.
Old 11-07-2016, 02:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
2009 SLK55 AMG
Given the age of your car and the issue why debate with your dealer? If your indy is confident on his diagnosis is not the prudent and safe thing to do and just let him fix it based on his diagnosis.
Some times practicality rules even over extended warranties.
BTW, unless you have the passive system of TPMing like many lesser models do here in Canada. your TPM system does not work off the ABS sensors. There should be sensors in each wheel and you should be able to see the pressures in the speedometer when you scroll to that feature.
The passive system does work off the ABS sensors which pick up differences in wheel speed between a fully inflated tire and a flat because the flat tire runs faster due to smaller diameter than its mates.
Old 11-08-2016, 07:29 AM

C63 AMG Saloon
Originally Posted by Alex.currie44
Given the age of your car and the issue why debate with your dealer? If your indy is confident on his diagnosis is not the prudent and safe thing to do and just let him fix it based on his diagnosis.
Some times practicality rules even over extended warranties.
BTW, unless you have the passive system of TPMing like many lesser models do here in Canada. your TPM system does not work off the ABS sensors. There should be sensors in each wheel and you should be able to see the pressures in the speedometer when you scroll to that feature.
The passive system does work off the ABS sensors which pick up differences in wheel speed between a fully inflated tire and a flat because the flat tire runs faster due to smaller diameter than its mates.
Because I paid $1600 dollars for extended merc warrenty as previously said which obviously only covers merc to fix the car so why would I pay $700 dollars to fix the car? Doesnt matter now anyway its getting sorted thanks to Merc warrenty.

The tps on my car has sensors in the valves, the car doesnt give the reading of the pressures. You inflate the tyres, reset the computer and if one is low it brings up the warning which doesnt tell you which tyre or the tyre pressure.
Old 11-08-2016, 09:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
2009 SLK55 AMG
Because I paid $1600 dollars for extended merc warrenty as previously said which obviously only covers merc to fix the car so why would I pay $700 dollars to fix the car? Doesnt matter now anyway its getting sorted thanks to Merc warrenty.

The tps on my car has sensors in the valves, the car doesnt give the reading of the pressures. You inflate the tyres, reset the computer and if one is low it brings up the warning which doesnt tell you which tyre or the tyre pressure.
Ah. Now I understand the X warranty issue. I have one too bought at my dealer but I can get the car fixed anywhere and make a claim. It doesn't have to be a Merc dealer.
Your TPMS in the UK is different I guess. What you describe to me is the same procedure for the passive system I have had on the 2 W211's, W212, R171 and C117 cars I have had in Canada. Set the pressures, reset and if there is an issue the ABS sensor sets off a warning.
On the C63 there is a screen that will show the pressure in each tire. It is supposed to flash a tell tale on a tire that is under inflated from a signal from the transmitter in the valve stem. I have yet to experience that.
Old 11-08-2016, 09:54 AM

C63 AMG Saloon
Originally Posted by Alex.currie44
Ah. Now I understand the X warranty issue. I have one too bought at my dealer but I can get the car fixed anywhere and make a claim. It doesn't have to be a Merc dealer.
Your TPMS in the UK is different I guess. What you describe to me is the same procedure for the passive system I have had on the 2 W211's, W212, R171 and C117 cars I have had in Canada. Set the pressures, reset and if there is an issue the ABS sensor sets off a warning.
On the C63 there is a screen that will show the pressure in each tire. It is supposed to flash a tell tale on a tire that is under inflated from a signal from the transmitter in the valve stem. I have yet to experience that.
Yes I have learnt for next year to go for an aftermarket warrenty instead of merc extended warrenty so I can take it to any garage I please. Also with the experience I had with the dealer trying to get the claim has put me off even though it was merc warrenty that told the dealer to fix the car.

After your reply I looked into the tpms on the forum and it seems to vary across the whole production of c63 amg as to which of the two systems the car has. I even looked on youtube and some have the same one as me and others have the one you describe which I would rather have as it shows the pressures. I wonder if its as simple as a software change?
Old 11-09-2016, 01:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 794 Likes on 545 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order

After your reply I looked into the tpms on the forum and it seems to vary across the whole production of c63 amg as to which of the two systems the car has. I even looked on youtube and some have the same one as me and others have the one you describe which I would rather have as it shows the pressures. I wonder if its as simple as a software change?

In Canada the discrete TPMS sensors in each wheel were standard on the APX / P31 / Development package or whatever it was called in the UK - the one with the composite brake rotors and the extra power. The cars without the package simply used the ABS sensors like all other MBs to detect when one wheel is spinning faster than the others. A "retrofit" would involve getting TPMS sensors, pickup sensors near the wheel wells, possibly harness wiring and at least two different modules plus an ECU recode... in other words, you'd be beter off buying a new car.
Old 11-09-2016, 03:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts
2010 C63 2019 GLA45
It's in the option codes:
475 TPM high line/mid line
Vs
470 TPM low line.

I am looking right now at a 2009 C63 for sale on autotrader with P30 that has the 470, in CT.

However my 2010 car with no P30 has the 475.

When I was shopping and running many data cards, I noticed a lot of 470 in '09 cars and more of the 475 in '10 and '11 cars, no correlation to P30 in US.
Old 11-19-2016, 12:15 PM

C63 AMG Saloon
They have replaced the arms and done a full geometry. The car has become firmer but still dont think its fixed all the problems as the steering wheel is still vibrating slightly on the highway and you can noticeably feel it. Also when doing a u turn it feels like the front tyres have no grip when turning and feels like they are slipping which you can feel it through the car like its skipping!
Old 11-19-2016, 12:40 PM

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
2011 C63
They have replaced the arms and done a full geometry. The car has become firmer but still dont think its fixed all the problems as the steering wheel is still vibrating slightly on the highway and you can noticeably feel it. Also when doing a u turn it feels like the front tyres have no grip when turning and feels like they are slipping which you can feel it through the car like its skipping!
If steering wheel is vibrating, it's either an out of balance tire or an out of round tire. At least that's been my experience. As far as the car skipping in a turn, if this is happening at parking lot speeds, it's completely normal. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
thesaintusa (11-19-2016)
Old 11-21-2016, 10:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Originally Posted by glennhl
If steering wheel is vibrating, it's either an out of balance tire or an out of round tire. At least that's been my experience. As far as the car skipping in a turn, if this is happening at parking lot speeds, it's completely normal. Good luck.
^ This... or wheels that are not hubcentric. One of the three.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 AMG
I had vibrations in my steering wheel when my front cross strut ball joints were bad. I'd make sure they were properly inspected since they seem to be a relatively common issue.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:19 AM

C63 AMG Saloon
Originally Posted by glennhl
why do you say the car skipping at turning parking speeds is normal?

Also this floating car feeling is still here, you notice it more on turns as the car first feels planted and stiff then mid corner goes loose and light!
Old 11-21-2016, 10:27 AM

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
2011 C63

Also this floating car feeling is still here, you notice it more on turns as the car first feels planted and stiff then mid corner goes loose and light!
The skipping has to do with the steering ackerman and wide tires. All my cars that had wide tires have done it and if you search here you will find it is normal for the C63.

Good luck fixing the floating feeling, that sounds terrible.

Last edited by glennhl; 11-21-2016 at 11:09 AM.
Phil_T (11-25-2016)
Old 11-21-2016, 10:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I had vibrations in my steering wheel when my front cross strut ball joints were bad. I'd make sure they were properly inspected since they seem to be a relatively common issue.
Right - except that he had the ball joints replaced, at which time one would ASSUME they would have checked the rest of the suspepension bits.

Because the inside edge of the tire has to make a tighter arc than the outside edge of the same tire (it travels over a shorter path and tries to rotate slower than the outside), and when the tire is wide enough and the arc tight enough like it is on the inside wheel during a U-turn, you're going to get some skipping. Geometry 101...
Phil_T (11-25-2016)
Old 11-21-2016, 11:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Diabolis
Right - except that he had the ball joints replaced, at which time one would ASSUME they would have checked the rest of the suspepension bits.
He said the cross strut (upward facing ball joint aka LCA) was fine so I'm assuming they only replaced the strut (downward facing ball joint aka UCA).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Something Seriously Wrong With Car, Need Advise/Help Please