Sponsored by:

Panoramic Roof Seal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 01:48 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Jag F-Type V8
Panoramic Roof Seal

Today I noticed that the seal around the panoramic roof rails are crumbling / rotting (likely from the heat in South Florida). Upon inspection it does not seem like water is leaking in under the seal and even if it were, it would not be a huge problem because there is nothing under that area. In other words, it seems like the sunroof has a main seal that is more in-board than this seal. Has anyone else noticed this problem? There seems to be a problem on both the driver and passenger side of my coupe.

Before you recommend the dealer, I am out of warranty which sucks. And I know, the car is filthy; sorry.

Does anyone know if this is indeed a big problem for water intrusion purposes? How do I replace it and what parts would be needed? I am totally in the dark on this issue. All help appreciated. Pictures below from the driver's side.

Old 04-12-2016, 02:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
Looks like it got chewed up over there. From my time driving with pano on loaner cars and inspecting them when opened, I think leaking from what you have shown shouldn't be happening because underneath that area is supposed to run towards a drain anyway. Anyway, I'm just amazed the sun can chew it up like that. Welcome (sarcastic) to the world of pano. Everyone knows I'm a major opponent of pano.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:10 AM

Jag F-Type V8
I am not a fan of the pano either, it makes the car really hot in the summer time down here. Anyways, does anyone know if I can remove the panels to the side of the pano glass? They seem to move a little, as if they are just clipped in. I also cannot seem to find the gasket on getmercedesparts.
Old 04-14-2016, 03:36 PM

Jag F-Type V8
Problem solved and solution discovered. It isn't cheap to fix because you need to buy the entire panel that has the bike rack (flip up) openings on it. The panel comes with the gasket installed according to the dealer. I am lucky enough to have built a good relationship with my service adviser who agreed to "goodwill" the part and work.

I am attaching a picture of the part required to replace the gasket. I hate it when posts are left without an answer, when down the road someone has the same issue in the future.

The following 3 users liked this post by jmueller:
chrome233 (11-30-2021), J666 (11-10-2019), krazzdav (01-16-2021)
Old 11-30-2021, 12:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2012 C63 AMG Coupe
old thread, sorry everyone. i would of DM'd Op but it wont let me

I know it was 5 years ago so its a long shot OP will see this. However

Did replacing the Panel Fix the issue completely? Mine is ripped in the exact same place as yours, But as your Post originally mentions below the Panel Is sort of a drip tray that drains out anyway. and the main seal for the lift up panel is still fully intact and sealed

I've ordered the replacement part you mentioned but im waiting 3 weeks for it too arrive currently and its raining everyday here in the UK, I don't want to wait all that time and then it isn't just that causing the issue. I just cant see how that tiny rip can be causing water to be getting in above the A pillar on both left and right side of the vehicle when there is drainage below it

so weird, i suppose what I'm asking is did simply replacing that 1 panel fully stop the leak?

thanks

Old 11-30-2021, 02:24 PM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C63
The thing is, is that when you get a rip there other stuff (dirt/debris) can get inside and then end up clogging the drainage pathways, leading to them not draining at all.
Old 12-06-2021, 06:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2012 C63 AMG Coupe
Sorted this now, In the end i dropped the whole headliner and poured water into the pan roof channel.

It turns out the top of the windscreen sealed had perished in the top drivers side corner, So as the water drains, intead of going down the side of the windscreen, IT was just coming in there and pooling in the headliner as well as running down the inside of the A pillar, SO i had the whole windscreen removed and resealed for £85. this fixed my issue.

The panel listed in the OG post didn't directly fix my problem however i have also replaced that now aswell as it will help keep water out of the PAN Roof drains.

(these panels are also identical to the ones on the w207 E-class coupe aswell as the C-class coupe. Turns out they share the exact same Pan Roof)

I ordered mine from www.lllparts.co.uk for a total of £114 each brand new

here are the part numbers for the Panels as listed in the OG post for the C-class Coupe (the pan roof saloon could well be different)

A2076900780 for the drivers side
A2076900880 for the passengers side,

(I'm in the UK so the Drivers and passengers side will be reversed if you drive on the right side of the road)

Last edited by chrome233; 12-06-2021 at 06:43 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by chrome233:
12C63 (12-06-2021), CRICHAMG (04-14-2023)