Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 05:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 368 Likes on 271 Posts
2005 E55
Originally Posted by shardul
lol ok

on a side note thank you all for the orders placed today though EC ATX
temps,baro,humidity,air fuel etc endless I missed them I didn't see them.
Old 08-18-2016, 06:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by thesaintusa
Consider the improvement that the ROW airboxes offer, and how the improvement in design (less obstruction) yields results.

Why is it so hard to imagine that further improving the airflow will yield further gains?

Air still has to flow into the box, and flow will be increased if there is no obstruction. If you can see it, it will have influence the flow. No different than how people just post pictures of the difference between the ROW and standard air box, and we all just nod our heads in agreement and say 'yes i can see the difference'.

I have no stake in the game, do not even have ROW boxes. I am just confused how people accept one thing but not another, when both modifications are improving the same thing -> air flow.
I'm with you on this. I can see the possibility of some very unhelpful turbulence getting eliminated with this spacer. Very exciting development, it'll all shake out shortly.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smart Car
Confirmed,

Illuminati are everywhere, even in these airbox spacers and dyno results.... some people have just made up their minds, and can't accept the truth! WAKE UP!

Old 08-18-2016, 07:13 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
E55K, Black on Black. C63, Black on Black. SRT-10 NightRunner 363of400
Originally Posted by Illuminati41
Confirmed,

Illuminati are everywhere, even in these airbox spacers and dyno results.... some people have just made up their minds, and can't accept the truth! WAKE UP!

Unfortunately, it's been another minute or two since I was in high school. How long did it take you to set up the account....
Old 08-18-2016, 07:16 PM
kmw

C63 Coupe
Originally Posted by shardul
lol ok

on a side note thank you all for the orders placed today though EC ATX
Ordered !!
Old 08-18-2016, 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,810 Likes on 1,664 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
Love all the 1-post newbies and conspiracy theorists coming out of the woodwork on this thread. Really gives this product an air of credence.
Old 08-18-2016, 08:11 PM
GRP

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
2010 C63
Originally Posted by BLKROKT
Love all the 1-post newbies and conspiracy theorists coming out of the woodwork on this thread. Really gives this product an air of credence.

Next thing you know, a 1 post newbie will be express delivering you a sneaker.

I could get my mind around a nominal gain but the claimed dyno gains beggar belief. Where are the independent test results?
Old 08-18-2016, 08:34 PM

12 C63 Coupe
definitely interested, but damn $450 for some filters?!
Old 08-18-2016, 08:35 PM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
W204 C63
Interesting.

I wonder if this will work with the BOCA Airboxes that I have.
Old 08-18-2016, 09:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,574 Likes on 927 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
I'm gonna make one out of play-doh, stay tuned for dyno results...
Old 08-19-2016, 03:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 763 Likes on 529 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order

The "airbox" that we're referring to here is nothign more than an air filter housing. The actual airbox - where the black magic happens and volume, intake runner lenghts, trumpet sizes, distances and resonanace frequencies matter - is under the engine cover and is optimized using computational fluid dynamics. The air filter housing is just that - and seeing as the inlet port size (the snorkel size from the front of the car) and the outlet port size (at the MAF) are unchanged, the spacers do absolutely nothing. Imagine a room with doors at each end. No matter how big you make the room - you can turn it into a concert hall if you wish - it doesn't change the door sizes and the number of people per unit of time that can enter and exit. Unless you increase the velocity of the air with a RAM air intake (or the pressure using forced induction - the only two variables here that would change the mass of air going in), which you can't possibly notice on a dyno seeing as most of them are stationary and you'd need to be moving at 100 mph before anythign of the sort comes into play, it's all wishful thinking.

Any measurable change in power on a dyno in this scenario had to be caused by (a) flow restriction by the air filter element itself, which is a function of the material porosity and surface area and the only variable that can actually produce a difference, (b) other factors like temperature, humidity, engine heat soak or someone letting out a serious fart with lots of methane upwind of the car, or (c) run-to-run varaitions, accuracy and measurement error of the dyno. That's it.

There's no need even for the play-doh as Jason suggested... just get a set of old air filters and completely remove the paper filter in the middle, leaving you only with the rubber gasket surround. You won't ingest any debris or dust on a dyno with the car itself being stationary in an enclosed garage, so just do a run without any possible flow restriction... which can be the only thing responsible for any actual power gain (or loss) here. Even if you have no air filter and/or box at all, you have a throttle body that is much more limiting, then an intake manifold that is more limiting than the TB, and then intake valves that are even more limiting than that. The air filter housing box volume is completely irrelevant.

Last edited by Diabolis; 08-19-2016 at 03:41 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Diabolis:
BLKROKT (08-19-2016), chrisridebike8 (08-20-2016)
Old 08-19-2016, 05:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts
W212 - E63 AMG
Originally Posted by Diabolis

The "airbox" that we're referring to here is nothign more than an air filter housing. The actual airbox - where the black magic happens and volume, intake runner lenghts, trumpet sizes, distances and resonanace frequencies matter - is under the engine cover and is optimized using computational fluid dynamics. The air filter housing is just that - and seeing as the inlet port size (the snorkel size from the front of the car) and the outlet port size (at the MAF) are unchanged, the spacers do absolutely nothing. Imagine a room with doors at each end. No matter how big you make the room - you can turn it into a concert hall if you wish - it doesn't change the door sizes and the number of people per unit of time that can enter and exit. Unless you increase the velocity of the air with a RAM air intake (or the pressure using forced induction - the only two variables here that would change the mass of air going in), which you can't possibly notice on a dyno seeing as most of them are stationary and you'd need to be moving at 100 mph before anythign of the sort comes into play, it's all wishful thinking.
A fair point tbh and I see where you're coming from.

However, I don't think the gains from this are coming from an increase in air box volume (nor was that ever the intended purpose of the spacers).

Assuming these gains are authentic (and I have no reason to doubt Shardul tbh), then it's most likely because of the reduction in turbulence as the air comes in through the snorkels, which in a sense could-well increase air speed going through the filters

I dunno. My throttle bodies still aren't opening fully, so I can't really say much
Old 08-19-2016, 09:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Just stop drinking the kool-aid here. Turbulence and velocity and straight air bull****.

If the intake snorkel were 1/2" from the bottom of the lower airbox, then yeah I can see how raising the filter might help. But air is taking the path of least resistance here, and even at WOT the TBs and airboxes flow way more than what the engine can actually ingest. Size of the airbox makes zero difference - if anything it's size of the filter element that would, and that's not changing here.
Old 08-19-2016, 05:32 PM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
W204 C63
FWIW, I spoke with Jerry. He said he didn't even pick up these kind of gains when he REMOVED the whole filter for a dyno run.

So...
Old 08-19-2016, 05:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Originally Posted by PACougar
Here's an Uncorrected graph and the graph that's using STD correction. I added in the weather stations temp that's used as part of the correction. As you can see, the before run benefited from the correction because it was a bit warmer. The uncorrected number shows even bigger gains for that very reason. Of course that's why correction factors exist. Dynojet's software does not allow independent correction factors for multiple runs on the same graph, so you can't cheat by having different corrections for two different runs on the same overlay. I hope this helps you understand how a dyno and the software work.
If you look at your own dyno graphs again, you will notice that the "after" run wat at an 8 degree cooler and denser ambient air (and we know nothing about the pressure - which is critical - or humidity levels, let alone heat soak and that the intake had a chance to cool down and thus heat up the incoming air even less than it did during the first run). Now, I am not a pilot (chisridebike here is, so maybe he can chime in on the validity of my assertions), but IIRC all other things being equal, the air density change for every degree in temperature equals to about 125' of altitude - so between the two runs, the second one is equivalent to being conducted at an altitude 1000' lower than the first, which would result in roughly 4% denser air. Now, if you look at the uncorrected peak hp numbers (and the torque difference is even less), you will notice a difference of... wait, I'll let you guess. Right - it's about 4% (OK - it's closer to 5%... but that 1% can definitley be explained by the under-hood temperatures, the dirty air filters during the first run and/or an atmospheric pressure diference between the two runs). I hope this helps you understand how physics and chemistry work.

Show me ALL of the data for the two runs and I'll let you know where the difference came from. And, which particular model of Dynojet is this? Inertial or load type? I've been around dynos for a while... they're not exactly consistent each and every time.
The following 2 users liked this post by Diabolis:
Bigtickets (08-25-2016), BLKROKT (08-19-2016)
Old 08-19-2016, 05:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Phil Chow
FWIW, I spoke with Jerry. He said he didn't even pick up these kind of gains when he REMOVED the whole filter for a dyno run.

So...
^ This.
Old 08-19-2016, 08:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 AMG
Play-Doh mould is done. Are you saying I should just fkn toss this now?
Old 08-19-2016, 09:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Jasonoff
Play-Doh mould is done. Are you saying I should just fkn toss this now?
Definitely not... you should build the rest of the car!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...new-model.html

Old 08-19-2016, 09:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Diabolis
Definitely not... you should build the rest of the car!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...new-model.html

In the 13min it took you to respond, I've already tossed my project and polished off a pint to dull the pain...
Old 08-19-2016, 09:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Jasonoff
In the 13min it took you to respond, I've already tossed my project and polished off a pint to dull the pain...
You mean you're going to have to start from the beginning and have to make new filter outline molds again in addition to the rest of the car?
Old 08-20-2016, 04:37 PM

Received 205 Likes on 146 Posts
C63 amg Custom 67 Camaro GLK 350 4matic 2017 AMG GTS
I have my doubts about power across the board and the amount of power gained. Long story short, when we would switch out intakes on mechanical fuel injection and or carbed cars on the track, we had dyno results from longer intake runners and shorter intake runners and the difference in power between them. This is a bit different, but with shorter intake runners we had more high end HP, but gave up low end HP and torque.
On our longer intake runners we gained torque and lost high end HP.

There were always a give and take with either setup. so on certain tracks we would use one over the other to gain and advantage on that track.

This seems to be just a spacer to gain air space, flow and or intake length or all 3. But to gain right across the board and the amount of gain to me is a bit suspect.
But I cannot dismiss it 100 percent either knowing what we have done in the past.

Not having forced induction, you have no inertia. Just natural flow. How would Mercedes have missed this? Is this less or more efficient because with the amount of gains being told, this would be more efficient and AMG and Mercedes would have done the testing having world class flow benches and graphs, charts and flow characteristics all done, done again and redone to optimize their motors.

This is why I am a bit skeptical.
Old 08-20-2016, 05:23 PM

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts
CL63 AMG
ROW Airbox and AFE Pro Dry filters are the best intake. A spacer will not do anything since the AFE filter side profile is already less and does not restrict the airflow like the stock filter.

Not to mention ROW airboxes come with brand new MAF sensors so it's preventative maintenance, 2 birds, one stone.
Old 08-21-2016, 12:12 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
CLA 45 AMG, C63 AMG Edition 1, GLA 250
So I ordered these and will also get a Dyno at the same place. Right now the only mods I have is the Eurocharged V5 tune, Eisenmann race exhaust and Wavetrac LSD on an Edition 1. I have the ROW airbox with me but not installed yet. I returned the AFE Filters as the spacers already have filters.

How do you guys recommend I do the dyno? Should I write down all the measurements such as; correction factor, humidity, engine temps, air temp and oil temps before I dyno and then try to dyno when those numbers are about the same again? What other metrics should I be looking at? Skratch77 had some tips that I am also gonna see about.

Last edited by wikiwiki; 08-21-2016 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Added in AFE filter part.
Old 08-21-2016, 08:14 AM

Received 125 Likes on 107 Posts
2014 Mercedes C63 AMG 507 Edition
Originally Posted by wikiwiki
So I ordered these and will also get a Dyno at the same place. Right now the only mods I have is the Eurocharged V5 tune, Eisenmann race exhaust and Wavetrac LSD on an Edition 1. I have the ROW airbox with me but not installed yet. I returned the AFE Filters as the spacers already have filters.

How do you guys recommend I do the dyno? Should I write down all the measurements such as; correction factor, humidity, engine temps, air temp and oil temps before I dyno and then try to dyno when those numbers are about the same again? What other metrics should I be looking at? Skratch77 had some tips that I am also gonna see about.
The spacers should take a few minutes to fit. Run the car on the dyno before you fit them to get a baseline.
Then fit the spacers and run again. In that short time, the environmental conditions such should not have changed.
Old 08-21-2016, 08:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Don't forget to sprinkle the magic fairy dust on them before making the pull

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: M156 UPD Intake Spacer Review