Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mysterious Coolant Leak

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2019, 05:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S600
Mercedes continues to build lots of compromised parts from an engineering standpoint, and they continue to do it, because the blind faithful continue to purchase their product....
Old 11-23-2019, 04:41 AM

Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
W124 260E
What a nice bit of engeneering ,just to be let down by a 2 $ set of head bolts . Bad idea i think ..
Old 07-25-2020, 07:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes ML420
Originally Posted by andrew c230k
Yep its what I feared, Mercedes Benz wont even chip in a nickle and they know it's a poorly engineered part, I am so upset about it I am going to sell the car and never buy another Mercedes product again. Anyone with one of these ticking time bombs should sell their's too so your not left holding a live grenade. My car only had 57,000km on it. Yes its a 2008 but some attempt could have been made to help out. Thing that ticks me off the most is back in 2012 I had to add some coolant, I figured it was just because its a 4 year old car and used some up so I just added it I should have probably had it pressure tested then maybe they would have found something and it would have been covered under warrenty at 35,000km.

I was a big time Mercedes AMG enthusiast now I have never owned any other brand of car, but this whole situation has ruined that for me.

What was as you feared. This thread has gone so far off topic it's ridiculous.

Boy does it wind me up when you have to register ffs.

So, is it possible you can confirm that the problem was with your car please.
Old 07-25-2020, 09:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,597 Likes on 940 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by wwhatton
What was as you feared. This thread has gone so far off topic it's ridiculous.

Boy does it wind me up when you have to register ffs.

So, is it possible you can confirm that the problem was with your car please.
Read the thread. The answer is in it.
Old 10-02-2020, 03:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W204 c63 amg saloon
4 years late to conversation lol.

I fully feel the frustration by OP as I am same boat. Getting MB stratford to strip engine and determine if it is definitely the headbolts. Unfortunately I let mine run with low coolant until car broke down fully and now wont start. What's this about locked engine iv been hearing??

Anyways, yes I know it's an expensive motor and things do go wrong. I am fully prepared for that. But like most guys been saying, a known fault due to poor design should definitely be covered by MB. I have heard in many cases MB chipping in half as goodwill.

However, what concerned me was that OP was thinking of just selling off the motor. And another member also mentioning that as an option. I assume you would make the potential buyers aware of the missing coolant right??? You can't argue its sold as seen. A buyer cant 'see' missing coolant during a test drive and inspection.

i feel passionately about this as that's how I was stung. Car was sold to me with leaking coolant and 600 miles later broke down completely. Guy was an MB enthusiast and works for MB dealer too!
Old 10-02-2020, 03:49 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
W204 C63 R171
Hydrolocking due to coolant leaking the cylinders is different from seizing an engine due to running it without coolant and overheating it.
I was suggesting to sell the car after the repair because I was pissed... since then I've kept it and I don't drive it anymore that much maybe 200-300km a year... it kind of kills the relationship the car is still a beast though. I've never heard of MB chipping in anything outside of the warranty period this would be admitting there is a problem and I am sure their lawyers have told them to not offer any assistance outside the warranty period. they won a class-action lawsuit that customers had brought against them for this specific problem in the USA.

A prudent buyer would either know what they are doing or seek professional help the first thing I do when buying anything with a radiator is to check the coolant tank for brown sludge or foam = head gasket normally along with the oil filler. A simple pressure test on any M156 that takes 20 min would determine if this is a car I would buy or not fails the pressure test you walk away.

The car was sold to you with a problem and you never corrected it... It hard to feel sorry for you 600 miles later.