Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY for engine mounts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2016 | 05:06 PM

09 C63 AMG
DIY for engine mounts

Looks like I am due for a new engine mount... or two. At least I hope this is the problem I am dealing with. I was wondering if anyone here has replaced their engine mounts, as in by themselves and not just taking the car to the dealer? It all seems straightforward except that one bolt on top of the mount. Maybe if I spend a bit more time under the car I'll figure it out but I just wanted to ask beforehand in case there is something I am missing.
Old 06-16-2016 | 05:21 PM

2007 e63 estate, 1998 ITB golf, ITE scirocco (sold to a collector in Japan)
Originally Posted by c63er
Looks like I am due for a new engine mount... or two. At least I hope this is the problem I am dealing with. I was wondering if anyone here has replaced their engine mounts, as in by themselves and not just taking the car to the dealer? It all seems straightforward except that one bolt on top of the mount. Maybe if I spend a bit more time under the car I'll figure it out but I just wanted to ask beforehand in case there is something I am missing.
yes, i just tried it this weekend. i did the right hand side in about 35 mins including jacking up the car and removing the underbody plastics. it was pretty straightforward. when i put the new mount in, though, i replaced the bolt with a socket head cap screw of slightly shorter length. it was much easier than the hexagonal bolt.

the left hand side, however, was a nightmare!!! it turns out that on the e63, the header (not an iron manifold) curves down and it's close to impossible to get an ordinary wrench in there as the plane of the wrench intersects with the header. i got a socket on the top bolt with a very short stubby ratchet. but, i could get almost no torque on it. i tried all sorts of things to do it. i wasted almost 4 hours (and some serious knuckle and forearm damage) before giving up. i think it would be ok if you don't have headers. it turns out that the wrench needed you can buy on ebay for $15. i just bought one.

that being said, written, whatever; there's a huge change replacing the right side. it's height is more than 30mm shorter than the new one!! it goes over speed bumps without the unsettling noise of hearing the clunk as my alternator hits the sway bar. it feels better all around.
Old 06-16-2016 | 06:44 PM
EkS

C63
What's the link to the wrench you bought on ebay?
Old 06-16-2016 | 07:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
I got the top bolts out using normal hand tools so I could remove the heat shields to install MBH LTH. I was able to reinstall the heat shields with the headers installed but the left side was tight. It is quite easy with the stock logs installed.
Old 06-17-2016 | 01:10 PM

09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by sciroccor
yes, i just tried it this weekend. i did the right hand side in about 35 mins including jacking up the car and removing the underbody plastics. it was pretty straightforward. when i put the new mount in, though, i replaced the bolt with a socket head cap screw of slightly shorter length. it was much easier than the hexagonal bolt.

the left hand side, however, was a nightmare!!! it turns out that on the e63, the header (not an iron manifold) curves down and it's close to impossible to get an ordinary wrench in there as the plane of the wrench intersects with the header. i got a socket on the top bolt with a very short stubby ratchet. but, i could get almost no torque on it. i tried all sorts of things to do it. i wasted almost 4 hours (and some serious knuckle and forearm damage) before giving up. i think it would be ok if you don't have headers. it turns out that the wrench needed you can buy on ebay for $15. i just bought one.

that being said, written, whatever; there's a huge change replacing the right side. it's height is more than 30mm shorter than the new one!! it goes over speed bumps without the unsettling noise of hearing the clunk as my alternator hits the sway bar. it feels better all around.

The left side is the bigger problem indeed. I haven't gotten into it yet, I haven't even ordered the mounts yet, but from what I saw under there it seems like quite the exercise to get to that top bolt. I might just get the right one and replace it and see how it does but ideally I would want both replaced at the same time.
Old 06-17-2016 | 01:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 AMG
I wouldn't bother just doing one.
Old 06-17-2016 | 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by EkS
What's the link to the wrench you bought on ebay?
here's the wrench.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-Ben...282158&vxp=mtr

i agree that i don't to have just one of them done. replacing the one made a huge difference. i suspect that replacing the other won't make as much but i am sure that the life of the new one will be highly compromised if the other mount is not replaced. that is why i ordered the wrench and am going to do it.

when i am done, i suppose anyone who wants the wrench can have it. you pay for shipping.
Old 06-17-2016 | 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Mort
I got the top bolts out using normal hand tools so I could remove the heat shields to install MBH LTH. I was able to reinstall the heat shields with the headers installed but the left side was tight. It is quite easy with the stock logs installed.
i wonder if the c series has the same manifold/headers as the e class?
Old 06-17-2016 | 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mort
i had to find out what the MBH LTH were. man, those are NICE!!!
Old 06-18-2016 | 09:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
i wonder if the c series has the same manifold/headers as the e class?
I would think they are the same or very similar.

i had to find out what the MBH LTH were. man, those are NICE!!!
Thanks