C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Launch issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 03:02 PM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
07 Z06, 2011 c63pp
Launch issues

My re71r in 255/35/18 seem to cope with mbh headers w catless x pipe, row boxes w afe filters and the v5 tune.
I have the pressure set to 35 on the street.
My alignment definitely effected traction, immediately after i had my kw v3's and giro disc's installed i noticed a greater willingness to brake loose off the line. Hopefully corrected thursday.
Im hitting the track on friday with 17inch hoosier drag radial's. Those could also be used on the street but i'll see how they work at the track first.

Only caveat is that the bridgestone's are noisy...

Last edited by ritalin; 06-20-2016 at 03:07 PM.
Old 06-20-2016, 03:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
CLS63 AMG
Originally Posted by QWKSNKE
That's my point, a tire that hooks does not need throttle control. If you are feathering the throttle you are leaving power out on the table.

There should be a tire that can be put on these cars where you can go WOT off idle and hook without going to a slick. That's why I was asking about drag radial. If these provide better grip than a PSS I might give them a try.

I could understand if I was doing 6k rpm launch like I did in my mustang but off idle shouldn't be a problem.

I drive a lot with sport handling mode on (so TC only kicks in when it detects 15% wheel spin) in an effort to get more power down to the ground.

On my tuned only c63 running the MPSS in stock sizes just can't get it done without spinning unless you modulate the throttle carefully. This is not really a solution though because as you said your not getting max power the car has down to the ground.

Would be awesome if there was a street tire that could make this car feel like an AWD from a launch. Maybe the next michelin super sports will be able to pull it off lol
Old 06-20-2016, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
CLS63 AMG
Originally Posted by QWKSNKE
That's my point, a tire that hooks does not need throttle control. If you are feathering the throttle you are leaving power out on the table.

There should be a tire that can be put on these cars where you can go WOT off idle and hook without going to a slick. That's why I was asking about drag radial. If these provide better grip than a PSS I might give them a try.

I could understand if I was doing 6k rpm launch like I did in my mustang but off idle shouldn't be a problem.

What do you think causes this car to have such problem off idle without spinning?

Aren't there other cars out there that have even more torque than us yet don't have issues launching like we do from idle?

I wonder why the engineers would make a car that does this. Is it maybe just the tire width being narrow? Have you tried wider street tires?
Old 06-20-2016, 04:31 PM

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
09 Carrera S, , 03 F250 CC FX4
Originally Posted by Amg63-
What do you think causes this car to have such problem off idle without spinning?

Aren't there other cars out there that have even more torque than us yet don't have issues launching like we do from idle?

I wonder why the engineers would make a car that does this. Is it maybe just the tire width being narrow? Have you tried wider street tires?

Yes, I have been running 275's for a year now.

As far as your other question. I do think the PSS's are a reasonable all around tire. Based off the other points of discussion in this thread, I was just curious if the drag radials hooked much better for the occasional trip to the track or for a little red light stomping as the PSS's do not without feathering the throttle.
Old 06-21-2016, 02:02 AM

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts
2009 C63 P30, 2008 Grand Cherokee SRT8(RIP)
The Street Comps did provide better grip BUT I still could not go ***** out with TC off, it would roast them every time....it is NOT just straight line where we are loose, this car is just genetically tail happy, like my current girlfriend! I have always thought this car was kind of Mercs tongue in cheek poke at everyone else saying it's loud, it's loose, it's fast, it's fun, deal with it.....I actually really enjoy the fact that if you turn off all the nannies it REALLY is a handful and will keep you on your toes... hell, Clarkson did call it an ax murderer.

But as to Qs point I agree that leaving potential momentum on the table at launch by having to feather in to a launch is both wasteful and disappointing....if you've ever driven a GTR then you know EXACTLY how a car SHOULD launch....