Shell Rotella T6

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 01:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
Shell Rotella T6

Thinking of running Shell Rotella T6 5w40. It's a Diesel engine oil, really good oil. Rated for gasoline engines too. I get a good price on 20litre pails.

It's not mb 229.5 but tons of guys use it in all kinds of high performance cars.
Old 06-21-2016, 01:49 AM

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts
2009 C63 P30, 2008 Grand Cherokee SRT8(RIP)
Originally Posted by Merc63
Thinking of running Shell Rotella T6 5w40. It's a Diesel engine oil, really good oil. Rated for gasoline engines too. I get a good price on 20litre pails.

It's not mb 229.5 but tons of guys use it in all kinds of high performance cars.
I have run the Rotella in the past and was pleased with it, would definitely run again no questions asked....also been down the Mobil and Pennzoil path but I can honestly say the oil I felt THE best running was 15w-50 LiquiMoly....but DAMN it's high!!!!
Old 06-21-2016, 07:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,576 Likes on 929 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
I have asked this a few times in other threads

Diabolis seems to like it: https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...ml#post6626517
Old 06-21-2016, 08:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,810 Likes on 1,664 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
Was just going to say that ^
I'm thinking about it as well. Have been doing M1 0W-40, initially treated once with LiquiMoly CeraTec and now following up with LiquiMoly Mos2 and car seems to like it.
Old 06-21-2016, 09:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
I have 0w40 in now and I'm getting startup chatter from lifters or adjusters on hot starts... Going to try the rotella...
Old 06-21-2016, 09:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,810 Likes on 1,664 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
Try adding the LiquiMoly CeraTec first. Made a big difference in my car.
Old 06-21-2016, 10:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 431 Likes on 354 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
I am running the Shell Rotella T6 5w40. Only have 1000Km on it so far. I will do a UOA when I change it but it will not be till the fall or winter. No complaints so far.
Old 06-21-2016, 10:57 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 C63
I ran Rotella T6 in my 13 STi for 30k miles with no problems. never burned an ounce. dunno if I'd run it in a C63.
Old 06-21-2016, 12:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 763 Likes on 529 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
The biggest difference in the Rotella vs. M1 is the chemical makeup of the detergents & dispersants. The Rotella has a fair amount of Magnesium (dispersant) whereas the M1 uses Calcium (detergent). Detergent effectiveness drops off more quickly over time and then the dispersants are what keep the garbage suspended in the oil. The main drawback of the Mg dispersants is that they become more abrasive as they oxidize, and *if* you're burning oil through the combustion chambers, they can form solid deposits on the piston crowns, which is not a concern with a healty motor.

Having said that, the T6 is more stable at high temperatures than the M1 (with our inadequately-sized oil cooling capabilities on the C63 this is IMHO a big plus), and in terms of HTHS and wear protection, the T6 is near the top of the pecking order and I like it a lot for flat tappet engines like the M156. And, at half the price of M1, you can afford to change it twice as often, which is key to having the best engine protection. I wouldn't run it year-round in Canada (my C63 is my DD), but that's what I run in my "massaged" summer toy P-cars that only see ~3000 fairly-hard-run kilometers in warm weather between oil changes. I've never seen cleaner engines in my life, and the wear protection of the T6 is second to none.

Just my $0.02. BITOG is an excellent resource on the topic, as are some of the Nissan GT-R forums. The GT-Rs are brutal on the oil (very high temps) and a lot of the guys that track them love the T6, subject to it being changed often enough. Just change the oil regularly... whether it's M1, Motul or Rotella. They are all excellent until the additives start wearing out.
The following 2 users liked this post by Diabolis:
BLKROKT (06-21-2016), MACEDON (06-01-2017)
Old 06-21-2016, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts
C63 AMG, P30
Originally Posted by Diabolis
The biggest difference in the Rotella vs. M1 is the chemical makeup of the detergents & dispersants. The Rotella has a fair amount of Magnesium (dispersant) whereas the M1 uses Calcium (detergent). Detergent effectiveness drops off more quickly over time and then the dispersants are what keep the garbage suspended in the oil. The main drawback of the Mg dispersants is that they become more abrasive as they oxidize, and *if* you're burning oil through the combustion chambers, they can form solid deposits on the piston crowns, which is not a concern with a healty motor.

Having said that, the T6 is more stable at high temperatures than the M1 (with our inadequately-sized oil cooling capabilities on the C63 this is IMHO a big plus), and in terms of HTHS and wear protection, the T6 is near the top of the pecking order and I like it a lot for flat tappet engines like the M156. And, at half the price of M1, you can afford to change it twice as often, which is key to having the best engine protection. I wouldn't run it year-round in Canada (my C63 is my DD), but that's what I run in my "massaged" summer toy P-cars that only see ~3000 fairly-hard-run kilometers in warm weather between oil changes. I've never seen cleaner engines in my life, and the wear protection of the T6 is second to none.

Just my $0.02. BITOG is an excellent resource on the topic, as are some of the Nissan GT-R forums. The GT-Rs are brutal on the oil (very high temps) and a lot of the guys that track them love the T6, subject to it being changed often enough. Just change the oil regularly... whether it's M1, Motul or Rotella. They are all excellent until the additives start wearing out.
Great info! And you define frequent oil changes as...? 5K miles?
Old 06-21-2016, 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
I define frequent as the level at which your UOAs show that the various oil additives still have plenty of life left (a UOA only shows how much life is left in the oil, not how good the oil is). It varies greatly on your driving style. Frequent short trips will produce the most moisture in the crank case and you need to neutralize the acids, so the additives that would degrade the most in this case would be measured by the TBN. If you track the car, the moisture from the crank case will easily evaporate but the oil will suffer a lot more from heat degradation, which mens viscosity breakdown and increased oxidation. If you drive reasonably long trips (30+ minutes) at decent RPMs and don't track the car, you won't experience oil breakdown due to either excessive temperatures or mopisture in the crank case so the same oil will last five times as long as the tracked car and twice as long as the "short trip" driven car. There's no universal number... in other words, in the same engine and using the same oil, you could be throwing out perfectly good oil at 5K miles that could easily go for another 5K, or if you track the car you could already be past the useful life of the oil. Does that make sense?

As a VERY GENERAL rule of thumb... if you track or drive the car hard enough that your oil cooler fan turns on, I'd dump it every 2K miles at the most. If you mostly drive short distances, I'd dump it every 5K miles. If your daily commute involves driving 45 minutes each way to and from work over a nice twisty road, I'd change it every 10K miles at which point it will likely still be in better shape to provide adequate protection than in either of the previous two examples.
The following 3 users liked this post by Diabolis:
AMG3.2 (06-21-2016), BerBer63 (06-21-2016), I am Jeff (06-21-2016)
Old 06-21-2016, 03:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts
C63 AMG, P30
I define frequent as the level at which your UOAs show that the various oil additives still have plenty of life left (a UOA only shows how much life is left in the oil, not how good the oil is). It varies greatly on your driving style. Frequent short trips will produce the most moisture in the crank case and you need to neutralize the acids, so the additives that would degrade the most in this case would be measured by the TBN. If you track the car, the moisture from the crank case will easily evaporate but the oil will suffer a lot more from heat degradation, which mens viscosity breakdown and increased oxidation. If you drive reasonably long trips (30+ minutes) at decent RPMs and don't track the car, you won't experience oil breakdown due to either excessive temperatures or mopisture in the crank case so the same oil will last five times as long as the tracked car and twice as long as the "short trip" driven car. There's no universal number... in other words, in the same engine and using the same oil, you could be throwing out perfectly good oil at 5K miles that could easily go for another 5K, or if you track the car you could already be past the useful life of the oil. Does that make sense?

As a VERY GENERAL rule of thumb... if you track or drive the car hard enough that your oil cooler fan turns on, I'd dump it every 2K miles at the most. If you mostly drive short distances, I'd dump it every 5K miles. If your daily commute involves driving 45 minutes each way to and from work over a nice twisty road, I'd change it every 10K miles at which point it will likely still be in better shape to provide adequate protection than in either of the previous two examples.
Absolutely -- makes perfect sense. Thanks a lot.
Old 12-04-2016, 10:59 AM

Received 125 Likes on 95 Posts
2003 E55, 2003 SL55, 2014 CLS63, 2018 q50 Redsport, 1968 Camaro SS, 1999 Trans am Firehawk

When GM was developing its oil life monitor algorithm they tested a corvette motor and ran it the equivalent of driving exactly 55mph without stopping for 100k miles. They found the engine had virtually no wear on it whatsoever and the oil was still fine.
Old 12-04-2016, 02:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by carguyshu
When GM was developing its oil life monitor algorithm they tested a corvette motor and ran it the equivalent of driving exactly 55mph without stopping for 100k miles. They found the engine had virtually no wear on it whatsoever and the oil was still fine.
Correct. A continuously run motor at constant low revs will place the least demand on the oil. No moisture accumulation in the crank and thus acid buildup, and no excessive mechanical shear.
Old 12-04-2016, 03:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,576 Likes on 929 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by carguyshu
Definitely not an LS7. Would have dropped a valve before reaching that sort of mileage
The following users liked this post:
AMG3.2 (11-05-2017)
Old 12-04-2016, 03:56 PM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
07 Z06, 2011 c63pp
Originally Posted by Jasonoff
Definitely not an LS7. Would have dropped a valve before reaching that sort of mileage
Lol..
Old 12-04-2016, 04:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 408 Likes on 290 Posts
'10 C63
I was going to say...I have known of so many corvettes that hve had the motors let go. I think Car and Driver blew 2 motors, one on their long term tester and one on their lightning lap car. And then Motor Trend couldn't get their C7 ZO6 to work last year. And my buddy had i think lifter issues or something on his LS7. And those are just engine issues. Don't get me started on the failed fuel tank my friend has on his C7 stingray that had 3000 miles. It dumped all the gas into his garage.
Old 12-04-2016, 06:59 PM

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
09 Carrera S, , 03 F250 CC FX4
Old 12-05-2016, 12:19 AM

Received 205 Likes on 146 Posts
C63 amg Custom 67 Camaro GLK 350 4matic 2017 AMG GTS
Originally Posted by BLKROKT
Was just going to say that ^
I'm thinking about it as well. Have been doing M1 0W-40, initially treated once with LiquiMoly CeraTec and now following up with LiquiMoly Mos2 and car seems to like it.
Which one do you like best now? I was thinking of running this or a zinc additive. I hate to run away from what the factory says, but I know their are better oils out there. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-05-2016, 12:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by BLKROKT
Try adding the LiquiMoly CeraTec first. Made a big difference in my car.
https://www.amazon.com/Liqui-Moly-20.../dp/B001CZODH8

Is this the stuff? How to add it? Anytime or on oil change? How much to add?

Sorry for the questions, but I plan on keeping the car forever, so engine longevity is high on my list.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:33 AM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
None
Guys - While I am clearly biased, as I work for a company that produces oils - be VERY careful with oil additives. The manufacturers of your engine oil say not to put additives in it, as do the makers of the engine.
That's got to mean something. You are putting your engine at risk for no good reason. A quality engine oil will provide enough protection to have the motor internals outlast most other parts of the car.