Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz AMG Vehicles > C63 AMG (W204)
Pic of 44o cooling system install >

Pic of 44o cooling system install

Notices
C63 AMG (W204)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pic of 44o cooling system install

 
Old 06-24-2016, 03:09 PM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
tglems's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 134
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
2012 C63 AMG
Pic of 44o cooling system install

Figured you guys might enjoy a pic of the 44O cooling system installed on my 2012 C63. The wheel arch cooler is, to me, the most bada$$ part of the upgrade. Now that my baby can deal with the 120+F temperatures we get down here in Phoenix, I'm one step closer to the track!




And the next mod up is already sitting in my garage :-)




EDIT: The instructions say to just flat out remove the right side grill. The tech working on my car is a great guy who legit cares, so he didn't remove it but instead shaved it a bit for better airflow (circled in red). Taking off one of the three front grills would just look weird. Also, the center front grill has two pieces of plastic, one on each end. The tech removed the plastic piece on the back on the side near the wheel arch cooler (circled in red and arrowed) to give better airflow. Again, pretty awesome guy.


Last edited by tglems; 06-25-2016 at 01:01 AM.
tglems is offline  
The following 2 users liked this post by tglems:
cls55 (06-26-2016), need2speed (06-25-2016)
Old 06-24-2016, 03:47 PM
  #2  
Super Member
 
Thrilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 913
Liked 27 Times in 24 Posts
2014 C63 AMG 507 sedan
Thanks for the pic. This is on my to do list now that I sold my track car. 440 cooling package and KW is on the shopping list. Is this a straightforward DIY or should I leave it to the pros?
Thrilla is offline  
Old 06-24-2016, 03:54 PM
  #3  
Super Member
 
Mazspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Los Gatos Ca
Posts: 734
Liked 130 Times in 99 Posts
C63 amg Custom 67 Camaro GLK 350 4matic
Great pic. What did the entire thing cost including install if you don't mind me asking? I should be picking up my car today from all of it's mods.
Mazspeed is offline  
Old 06-24-2016, 03:59 PM
  #4  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 45
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Bus
+1 on cost if you feel like sharing.
TurboRush is offline  
Old 06-24-2016, 04:00 PM
  #5  
Member
Thread Starter
 
tglems's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 134
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
2012 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
Thanks for the pic. This is on my to do list now that I sold my track car. 440 cooling package and KW is on the shopping list. Is this a straightforward DIY or should I leave it to the pros?
I left it to the professionals. It's a rather involved job and without a lift I wouldn't want to mess with it. That being said, I have no doubt that it could be done over a weekend at home, but I'm guessing it is probably a full weekend job, not just a saturday afternoon.

Originally Posted by Mazspeed View Post
Great pic. What did the entire thing cost including install if you don't mind me asking? I should be picking up my car today from all of it's mods.
I'll have to go back and check purchase price for the parts because I purchased them at the same time as I got other service so I'm not sure the breakdown. I'll edit this post later to be more specific. As for install, ~$1,700 to have it all professionally done. EDIT: Price of parts just was north of $2,000. Install was a bit closer to $1,800.

Last edited by tglems; 06-25-2016 at 12:49 AM.
tglems is offline  
The following 3 users liked this post by tglems:
AA717driver (02-20-2017), Mazspeed (06-24-2016), Thrilla (06-24-2016)
Old 06-24-2016, 04:03 PM
  #6  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: san jose
Posts: 1,789
Liked 33 Times in 27 Posts
C63, GT3RS, 430 Scud, E63, CGT
was there instructions posted? i recall there was? i cant find it?
tpliquid is offline  
Old 06-24-2016, 04:06 PM
  #7  
Member
Thread Starter
 
tglems's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 134
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
2012 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by tpliquid View Post
was there instructions posted? i recall there was? i cant find it?
Instructions, such as they are, are here. Cheers.



C63_Package_440_Version 1.3_17.04.14eng.pdf
tglems is offline  
Old 06-24-2016, 04:11 PM
  #8  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: san jose
Posts: 1,789
Liked 33 Times in 27 Posts
C63, GT3RS, 430 Scud, E63, CGT
thank you sir!!
tpliquid is offline  
Old 06-24-2016, 04:59 PM
  #9  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
INS1GNIA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Olathe, KS
Posts: 2,217
Liked 209 Times in 161 Posts
'13 C63 AMG P31 | '98 3000GT
Very nice, thanks for the pic. It seems more and more are getting this upgrade .
INS1GNIA is offline  
Old 06-24-2016, 09:58 PM
  #10  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Victoria BC
Posts: 161
Liked 22 Times in 19 Posts
2015 C63 AMG Edition 507 coupe, 2017 Range rover sport Auto, 2008 dodge ram 1500 SLT
I just ordered my 440 pkg. 3 weeks ago from MB in victoria, Canada was told it will be in this week. My quote all in for 440 and install finned diff cover and rectifier...4800.00 CAD(3750 US) a little steep but it is what it is. will be definitely cheaper in the US.
jd_hinks is offline  
Old 06-24-2016, 10:00 PM
  #11  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Victoria BC
Posts: 161
Liked 22 Times in 19 Posts
2015 C63 AMG Edition 507 coupe, 2017 Range rover sport Auto, 2008 dodge ram 1500 SLT
Pics look awesome!!
jd_hinks is offline  
Old 06-24-2016, 10:11 PM
  #12  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
BLKROKT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,869
Liked 1,242 Times in 837 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2015 GLK350
So jelly. My 44O has been backordered since April. Maybe Canada procurement is different, but I don't think so. Anyway, MB expects delivery of my package sometime second week of July.
BLKROKT is offline  
Old 06-24-2016, 10:45 PM
  #13  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
ArmoE55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,730
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
2014 C63 AMG
Would you guys think this is a necessary / needed upgrade for a street car? ( I never track the car). But we do get 100 plus days in the summer, just wondering if it's worth the coin for a weekend, street vehicle.
ArmoE55 is offline  
Old 06-24-2016, 11:28 PM
  #14  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Victoria BC
Posts: 161
Liked 22 Times in 19 Posts
2015 C63 AMG Edition 507 coupe, 2017 Range rover sport Auto, 2008 dodge ram 1500 SLT
IMHO the 440 cooling package is the system that should be in the cars in the first place. The only reson MB even has this package offered is because the about of ppl having issues with high oil temps and would rather make money then lose money by doing a massive recall. Granted most issues occur while tracking cars, I have experienced limp mode due to high oil temps. while driving around town. In preparation to eventually track my car, and from limp mode previously I've chosen to do this. If anything will give me peace of mind.
jd_hinks is offline  
Old 06-25-2016, 12:50 AM
  #15  
Member
Thread Starter
 
tglems's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 134
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
2012 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by ArmoE55 View Post
Would you guys think this is a necessary / needed upgrade for a street car? ( I never track the car). But we do get 100 plus days in the summer, just wondering if it's worth the coin for a weekend, street vehicle.
I don't think so. If you track your car then it is useful, but for street driving you shouldn't be pushing it hard enough long enough to ever need this.
tglems is offline  
Old 06-25-2016, 12:55 AM
  #16  
Member
Thread Starter
 
tglems's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 134
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
2012 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by BLKROKT View Post
So jelly. My 44O has been backordered since April. Maybe Canada procurement is different, but I don't think so. Anyway, MB expects delivery of my package sometime second week of July.
I ordered mine a little while ago...waiting for shipping was torture! lol Hope yours comes in soon!
tglems is offline  
Old 06-25-2016, 01:42 AM
  #17  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
skratch77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 5,649
Likes: 0
Liked 96 Times in 69 Posts
2005 E55
at what temp does limp mode happen? I drive my car hard until I see about 245 then I like et her cool down to 230 before going hard again
skratch77 is offline  
Old 06-25-2016, 01:47 AM
  #18  
Super Member
 
Case1906's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: DMV
Posts: 974
Liked 25 Times in 23 Posts
AMG GT, C63 AMG, E350, Mazda RX-7 Turbo II
Still looking for someone on the board who has attempted to adapt the 440 package to a Pre Facelift? Anybody tried?
Case1906 is offline  
Old 06-25-2016, 02:06 AM
  #19  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Lebanon
Posts: 807
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
C63 & C32
Anyone tried to remove the fan and test the car on the track?
Robert AMG is offline  
Old 06-25-2016, 08:20 AM
  #20  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,628
Liked 318 Times in 236 Posts
'10 C63
Originally Posted by Case1906 View Post
Still looking for someone on the board who has attempted to adapt the 440 package to a Pre Facelift? Anybody tried?
Me too. I might this winter.
chrisridebike8 is offline  
Old 06-25-2016, 08:29 AM
  #21  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
BLKROKT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,869
Liked 1,242 Times in 837 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2015 GLK350
No reason why it shouldn't bolt right up to a PFL car. May need to modify the new duct work a bit, but I don't think there are any parts of the kit which are wholly incompatible.
BLKROKT is offline  
Old 06-25-2016, 08:55 AM
  #22  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,628
Liked 318 Times in 236 Posts
'10 C63
Originally Posted by BLKROKT View Post
No reason why it shouldn't bolt right up to a PFL car. May need to modify the new duct work a bit, but I don't think there are any parts of the kit which are wholly incompatible.
That's what I figured. Not much changed mechanically up front.
chrisridebike8 is offline  
Old 06-25-2016, 10:20 AM
  #23  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Jasonoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Kitchener, ON
Posts: 3,532
Liked 616 Times in 406 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by jd_hinks View Post
IMHO the 440 cooling package is the system that should be in the cars in the first place. The only reson MB even has this package offered is because the about of ppl having issues with high oil temps and would rather make money then lose money by doing a massive recall. Granted most issues occur while tracking cars, I have experienced limp mode due to high oil temps. while driving around town. In preparation to eventually track my car, and from limp mode previously I've chosen to do this. If anything will give me peace of mind.
I never see oil temps over 103C (~217F) on the street even when it's mid 30C (~mid 90F). The 44O cooling package would be a complete waste of cheese for me.

What do you consider high oil temps?
Jasonoff is offline  
Old 06-25-2016, 12:57 PM
  #24  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
skratch77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 5,649
Likes: 0
Liked 96 Times in 69 Posts
2005 E55
Originally Posted by Jasonoff View Post
I never see oil temps over 103C (~217F) on the street even when it's mid 30C (~mid 90F). The 44O cooling package would be a complete waste of cheese for me.

What do you consider high oil temps?

really baby my car to the gym and will hit those temps without even going past 4k rpms and babying the car
skratch77 is offline  
Old 06-25-2016, 01:05 PM
  #25  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
INS1GNIA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Olathe, KS
Posts: 2,217
Liked 209 Times in 161 Posts
'13 C63 AMG P31 | '98 3000GT
Originally Posted by skratch77 View Post
at what temp does limp mode happen?
+260
INS1GNIA is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Quick Reply: Pic of 44o cooling system install


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: