Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible Headbolt Issue?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 09:57 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
2016 AMG GTS
definitely wasn't going to attempt this job myself haha. i can do little things on the car, but leave the big things to the professionals. took the broken belt off completely and ordered a new belt and pulley. had a friend of a friend come over to do it for me, but the car won't start now at all. i put the key in and absolutely nothing happens. he said maybe the engine is done or the battery is dead? battery seems fine to me, but i guess i can go get it tested to be sure.
Old 08-20-2016, 10:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 408 Likes on 290 Posts
'10 C63
I'm betting dead battery. The belt broke so the battery wasn't being charged. Have it charged and then see.
Old 08-20-2016, 01:09 PM

2016 AMG GTS
welp...took the battery to advance auto. they said it was fine, but just needed a charge. they charged it for 35 minutes and i picked it up like 2 hours later. plugged it all in and...nothing. same issue.

put the key in and it chimes, but doesn't make the whirring sound once the key goes in and absolutely nothing happens when i turn the key. any ideas?
Old 08-20-2016, 01:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 394 Likes on 266 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by JPetros2008
welp...took the battery to advance auto. they said it was fine, but just needed a charge. they charged it for 35 minutes and i picked it up like 2 hours later. plugged it all in and...nothing. same issue.

put the key in and it chimes, but doesn't make the whirring sound once the key goes in and absolutely nothing happens when i turn the key. any ideas?
Try boosting it to make sure 100% it's not the battery
Old 08-20-2016, 05:48 PM

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
2011 C63
Was the car still running when you shut it down? I assume it went into the limp home mode when the panel went red. That's what mine did when I lost a belt and I drove another mile and pulled over and called the tow truck. I was also spitting out water. Car started fine. The point I'm trying to make is it's very hard to hurt these motors, they are tough. But with that being said, you should get a breaker bar and large socket to fit the harmonic dampener bolt (sorry, I don't know the size) and see if you can turn the engine over. I'm betting you can. I'm with the other poster, I'd jump it and see if it starts. Maybe Advance Auto didn't charge the battery enough. Good luck and don't worry, these engines are tough, you didn't hurt it.
Old 08-20-2016, 05:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
Do you get the normal dash lights coming on when you turn the key to the ON position? If not, try another key if you have a spare? Could be a bad coincidence that your key or EIS failed.
Old 08-20-2016, 07:02 PM

2016 AMG GTS
Originally Posted by glennhl
Was the car still running when you shut it down? I assume it went into the limp home mode when the panel went red. That's what mine did when I lost a belt and I drove another mile and pulled over and called the tow truck. I was also spitting out water. Car started fine. The point I'm trying to make is it's very hard to hurt these motors, they are tough. But with that being said, you should get a breaker bar and large socket to fit the harmonic dampener bolt (sorry, I don't know the size) and see if you can turn the engine over. I'm betting you can. I'm with the other poster, I'd jump it and see if it starts. Maybe Advance Auto didn't charge the battery enough. Good luck and don't worry, these engines are tough, you didn't hurt it.
well that's kind of comforting to hear. the car still started up fine. in fact, the tow truck driver started it up to move it up onto the flatbed and then started it up again to take it off once i got it home.

no idea what a harmonic dampener bolt is, but i guess i'll take the battery to another advance auto or something and see what they say. if that doesn't work, i'll try and jump start it with another big car and see if that can give me any luck. will keep you guys updated tomorrow. thanks!
Old 08-20-2016, 07:32 PM

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
2011 C63
And when u jump start rev up the other car just a little