C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Winter wheels. Need advice.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 12:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 763 Likes on 529 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Jason - that's a neat article, but while it goes through all the physics of tire distortion it doesn't deal with the actual patch size and shape. I'll PM you regarding the book I mentioned - I am pretty sure I found a scanned copy somewhere online that did not require payment.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Ambystom - for the last time: apparently I cannot package years of personal experience and interaction with other morotsport participants, not to mention science and physics into a small enough and easily digestible package for you to be able or willing to understand or accept as the case may be. Furthermore, the only reason why it may feel like a suppository is that you're trying to shove it up your own a$$ instead of actually trying to learn something. You ask for advice and then you don't accept it and instead call it condenscending or arrogant because it goes contrary to whatever you believe in. I have tried to make an attempt at explaining somethign to the best of my ability, and I have apprently failed to expain it. I am sorry, but I am hereby making a decision that what little discretionary time I have to spend on the forums discussing our shared interest would be spent beter discussing other topics with other participants instead of banging my head against the wall on this one with you.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:55 PM

Received 119 Likes on 79 Posts
2013 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Diabolis
Ambystom - for the last time: apparently I cannot package years of personal experience and interaction with other morotsport participants, not to mention science and physics into a small enough and easily digestible package for you to be able or willing to understand or accept as the case may be. Furthermore, the only reason why it may feel like a suppository is that you're trying to shove it up your own a$$ instead of actually trying to learn something. You ask for advice and then you don't accept it and instead call it condenscending or arrogant because it goes contrary to whatever you believe in. I have tried to make an attempt at explaining somethign to the best of my ability, and I have apprently failed to expain it. I am sorry, but I am hereby making a decision that what little discretionary time I have to spend on the forums discussing our shared interest would be spent beter discussing other topics with other participants instead of banging my head against the wall on this one with you.
And more condescension and arrogance on your part. Are you so arrogant as to assume that you're the only person here with motorsports experience, or that is capable of understanding physics?

I see you're from Toronto; congrats on adhering to the Canadian stereotype regarding people from Toronto.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,576 Likes on 929 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
Jason - that's a neat article, but while it goes through all the physics of tire distortion it doesn't deal with the actual patch size and shape. .
Which one? I posted a few things.

http://www.enginebasics.com/Chassis%...t%20Patch.html
or
http://the-contact-patch.com/book/ro...-contact-patch

I went through the whole "The Contact Patch" book and it pretty much had everything.

http://the-contact-patch.com/book/ge...0-introduction

I'll PM you regarding the book I mentioned - I am pretty sure I found a scanned copy somewhere online that did not require payment
Thanks, I was unsuccessful finding a PDF copy online.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I was referring to the second one (The Contact Patch). Near the end of the first one, the author's conclusions also state the following (my emphasis):

"Contact patch pressure is constant and equal to air pressure? No, not even close. Wide tires have a greater contact area? From this data it appears very likely. Which would mean the "wide tires are softer and therefore give more grip" argument is bunk. The contact patch is bigger, and the contact patch pressure is lower."

Will PM you a link to the other book if I find it.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,576 Likes on 929 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
I was referring to the second one (The Contact Patch). Near the end of the first one, the author's conclusions also state the following (my emphasis):

"Contact patch pressure is constant and equal to air pressure? No, not even close. Wide tires have a greater contact area? From this data it appears very likely. Which would mean the "wide tires are softer and therefore give more grip" argument is bunk. The contact patch is bigger, and the contact patch pressure is lower."

Will PM you a link to the other book if I find it.
The more interesting discovery was patch length on the wider tire though. It didn't decrease nearly as much as initially thought.
Old 11-04-2018, 05:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
14 C63 AMG 507
Wheels

Originally Posted by georgy
I just got a 18 x 8.5 / 18x9.5 with PA4s 235/255. In my opinion it's not worth it to drive on skinny tires 95% of the time in the winter when there's no deep snow.

Also, any wheels would do...I've been running replicas on my cars forever and I've never bent/broken anything even when hitting big potholes in Toronto.

which wheels are those and where did you get them? Thanks