C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Manual Tranmission for a Teens first Car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 07:56 AM

Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts
2009 c63
Manual Tranmission for a Teens first Car?

I realize this will be tainted asking a car enthusiast community but...

Buying a Manual Transmission for a Male Teen? Considering a Mazda Speed3 Hot Hatch...

A. Great Idea - good to learn, may make him an enthusiast, will keep his hand off a phone, make sure he's not distracted, Stolen Less because 5% of thieves know stick, etc.

B. Pass - It's hard enough to drive as a teen

All constructive comments welcome as always...
Old 11-19-2016, 08:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 C63 AMG
I agree with your good reasons, but I would take it a step further and make it something like a Miata.....stop laughing, there's method to my madness:

1) powerful enough, but not too powerful for a new driver
2) can really learn driving dynamics
3) since it's only a two seater, he can only have one boneheaded friend with him at a time because the stupidity of teen boys increases exponentially with each additional friend present....heck, my stupidity increases when a few of my dumba$$ 40-something friends come around.
Old 11-19-2016, 09:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,810 Likes on 1,664 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
Definitely manual. It will make him a better driver, period.
Old 11-19-2016, 10:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 680 Likes on 465 Posts
12 C63BS Magno Alanite Grey, 22 X3M Brooklyn Grey, 08 BMW E93, 22 Ducati Desert Sled, John Deere 3R
My first car was a stick (datsun at the time) and was a great car to learn on - one thing I have read recently is that the of all the more recent technologies, stability control is the most helpful technology for saving teens from accidents, so my son is getting a car with stability control in it - you have to go pretty new with imports, but the germans have had it for ever, so early 2000's Mercs, audis, BMW's you can get with manual and stability control as well as AWD which is a nice to have in the rust belt.
Old 11-19-2016, 11:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 408 Likes on 290 Posts
'10 C63
My first car was a stick. Hes going to beat the snot out of whatever car he gets. Make it less powerful. Maybe a normal Mazda 3. Practical for college or sports or whatever.
Old 11-19-2016, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts
C63 AMG, P30
No reason not to go with a stick. As fun as a Miata would be, I'd want something a bit bigger for a first time driver. Just want more metal.
Old 11-19-2016, 11:16 AM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Car free at the moment
Guess I'm the outlier here, I vote against a stick. Driving is a cognitively complex task. It's difficult enough for new drivers to process the road, traffic controls, hazards, and other drivers. Adding additional tasks of managing the clutch and gearbox reduces the attention available for these other, more important tasks. I would first focus on developing the skills to control the car, assess traffic and hazards ahead, respond to stoplights and such, use the mirrors effectively, and maintain steady speed. Once the basics are mastered, add the additional tasks of driving a standard. If you've ever been to Motorcycle Safety Foundation training, they use this incremental approach and it's far more effective than dumping the entire workload onto a new rider all at once.

I think the most important lesson is the phone goes in the trunk while driving, every time, no exceptions.

The MS3 is far too quick and powerful for a teen male driver. Not a good choice IMHO. I use a Focus ST for daily commuting, so have some idea how much trouble one can get into in a sport compact.

Caveat: I'm old enough to have some life perspective, but never had kids. If I were a parent, I'd ignore advice from people like me...

Last edited by Shadow5501; 11-19-2016 at 11:24 AM.
Old 11-19-2016, 12:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 144 Likes on 110 Posts
2012 c63 AMG, 2011 GLK 350, 2019 GLS 450
My first car was manual. It's a great skill to know, and I don't think it made my learning how to drive any harder. I started out small in the parking lots then side streets. It's second nature once you catch on. My c63 is actually my first automatic. As far as the speed 3. I had one for 5 years as my daily. It is a very reliable car but quick stock and even faster modded. I will tell you if I had that car when I was first learning I would have been in trouble I would agree go base 3. I'm sure he will hate that idea cause I couldn't understand why my dad wouldn't get me a v8 mustang for my first car lol. I got a Saturn btw😆
Old 11-19-2016, 12:37 PM

Received 125 Likes on 107 Posts
2014 Mercedes C63 AMG 507 Edition
I would get him a stick to learn to drive on as well.
Old 11-19-2016, 02:30 PM

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
2013 C63 AMG P31
I am a firm believer that everyone should know how to drive a manual transmission..even if its a honda or mazda. It could be a safety issue..what if there was an emergency and the only thing available was a manual transmission?? He would be stuck.. Any son or daughter of mine would be taught how to drive anything.

My first car of choice for a new teen driver would be a used honda civic..very cheap to buy and own..safe and reliable and your teen can do all kinds of mods to it if they wish.. they like that crap. It would give me peace of mind as a parent.

Or you could buy him a C63 for his first car...

Last edited by C63fora2w1; 11-19-2016 at 02:36 PM.
Old 11-19-2016, 03:06 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Audi A5 6MT, C63 AMG
Definitely a manual. He will appreciate your gesture in the future when manuals would be an extinct species. I believe that learning how to drive a manual with smoother shifts and devoid of any jerkiness makes one a better driver.
Old 11-19-2016, 04:55 PM

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
C63
I thought the same thing for my son to buy him a stick for his first car, but opted for automatic for the following reasons:

- Too many things to focus as a new driver
- Not to many manuals left
- Kids today are different than when I learned to drive not to.say they can't learn like it did manual with no power steering....kids today are softer...

I bought him a 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid. Great car with tons of saftey features like backup camera, blind spot, etc. It also gets 41 mpg city/highway and car is not a rocket.

He will pay for auto insurance and gas.

Love idea of phone in the trunk.

​​​​​​
​​​
Old 11-19-2016, 05:03 PM

Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts
2019 911 GTS / 2016 X3 / 2015 E63s / 1993 RX-7
Originally Posted by C63fora2w1
I am a firm believer that everyone should know how to drive a manual transmission..even if its a honda or mazda. It could be a safety issue..what if there was an emergency and the only thing available was a manual transmission?? He would be stuck.. Any son or daughter of mine would be taught how to drive anything.

My first car of choice for a new teen driver would be a used honda civic..very cheap to buy and own..safe and reliable and your teen can do all kinds of mods to it if they wish.. they like that crap. It would give me peace of mind as a parent.
I agree with you.

I learned to drive a Volvo station wagon. 4 speed with electronic OD.

Too slow to get into trouble. Reliable. Very safe
Old 11-19-2016, 05:06 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R8, C63, C300
Is your male teen into racing/modifications? If so, yes. He will appreciate having a manual to start off with as he grows into the scene.

If not, no to the manual transmission.
It's a dying technology and not many cars come with a manual anymore.
Old 11-19-2016, 05:27 PM

Received 95 Likes on 60 Posts
2012 E350
Being the parent of teenagers, I am definitely in favor of a milder learning curve. I say automatic. Sticks are almost a dead issue anyway.

Ideal 1st car for a teen? Boring sedan, automatic, no more than 150 hp, weighs about 5,000 lbs., at least. Guess that means shopping for an old Caddy.

I do recall when I was 17 any car would have been great. An old Pontiac, which was my first car, was craptastic.
Old 11-19-2016, 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by C63fora2w1

Or you could buy him a C63 for his first car...
Because none of us on this board like to mod our cars and I'm sure most of us aren't teens

I'm on the fence with this one. I agree that they should know how to operate a manual, but if you live in a congestion heavy area (like Los Angeles), thats just torture. I never owned a manual car, but I definitely learned to drive one.
Old 11-19-2016, 06:35 PM

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
2012 C63 P31 sedan
I have a manual car myself and quite frankly the manual is dead technology and unless he is actually interested in learning a stick I see no reason to buy one. Let him focus on the road and things that make him a better driver.

This forum is going to be heavily skewed stick as the demographic of people that can afford a C63 probably learned to drive on or once owned a manual car.
Old 11-19-2016, 06:44 PM

2009 c63
Thanks... so far this feedback is as split as my friends and neighbors.

I test drive the speed3 today and after not driving a manual for 20? Years... picked up confidently after a few minutes once I found the gears.

I'm still very torn... it was a really fun car, looks really really great in white, way better in person.

Another negative I know remember is if your injured or suffering from soreness from sports, having to press that clutch another 40 times on the way home really sucks.

Because these, especially in white, are rare, I put a blocking deposit down while I figured this out. My son returns tomorrow from a trip and we need to really check his commitment to a manual learning curve (which is s strong memory of anyone who has learned).

Also, surprisingly, as early as 2013, there is still no back up camera on this model.

Just for giggles... here is a pic of it.

Old 11-19-2016, 06:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 540 Likes on 477 Posts
2010 C300 4MATIC........ 2011 C63 AMG.............. 2015 CLS400 4MATIC.....
I think the 3 is a nice choice.

I don't want to sound like a d-bag, so don't take this with offense.

I am relatively young [and don't drive an AMG] but in reality heres what the biggest thing is:

You know your son.

Sure they can hide stuff, but if he gets good grades and stuff you could probably rely on him.

If your son is a d-bag (once again dont take offense) then he might be the problem.
A LOT of people are sh*t drivers. I could drive 150 and am safer than some idiots who drive 35.
Old 11-19-2016, 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by Dogtag114
Thanks... so far this feedback is as split as my friends and neighbors.

I test drive the speed3 today and after not driving a manual for 20? Years... picked up confidently after a few minutes once I found the gears.

I'm still very torn... it was a really fun car, looks really really great in white, way better in person.

Another negative I know remember is if your injured or suffering from soreness from sports, having to press that clutch another 40 times on the way home really sucks.

Because these, especially in white, are rare, I put a blocking deposit down while I figured this out. My son returns tomorrow from a trip and we need to really check his commitment to a manual learning curve (which is s strong memory of anyone who has learned).

Also, surprisingly, as early as 2013, there is still no back up camera on this model.

Just for giggles... here is a pic of it.

I cant believe I didn't consider when, as I type this, I have been wearing a walking boot on my left leg which would have completely prevented me from driving a stick.
Old 11-19-2016, 07:09 PM

2009 c63
Lol... my going in position was too buy him and beater car, teach him humility, etc.

His grades are the best ever now, he hasn't driven a mile over the speed limit yet... and somehow this all flipped my switches to.. "he's a really good kid, I can get him something he'll smile getting into, etc"

He is a d-bag to his little brother sometimes but I can't see him cocky enough to screw around in the car... all the power in this is in the top end where he won't have the confidence to be in for a long while.

Last edited by Dogtag114; 11-20-2016 at 10:16 PM.
Old 11-19-2016, 07:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 540 Likes on 477 Posts
2010 C300 4MATIC........ 2011 C63 AMG.............. 2015 CLS400 4MATIC.....
He sounds like he could be trusted.

I do a lot of highway driving, idk if he will be doing so when he gets to college.

Your insurance might offer a teen monitor thing, which shows top speed this month or data like that, idk. Do it without telling him, and if you see something you could always tell him. This way you don't "invade" privacy or anything. Just a thought.

Siblings are always bad to each other when they're young anyway arent they, haha.
Old 11-19-2016, 07:44 PM
GRP

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
2010 C63
Manual all the way - the best way to develop a real feel for what your vehicle is doing.

Too much go is a worry for first time drivers (in Australia we actually have restrictive laws on what you can drive for the first 3 years). My priorities were ABS and multi airbags etc for my son. A 1.8 litre turbo VW Polo GTi was a nice balance of sporty handling and good go without crazy power and 4 accident free years on it is still serving him well save it now has a large front mount intercooler, 3"exhaust and tune
Old 11-19-2016, 07:59 PM

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
2013 C63 AMG P31
Originally Posted by Dogtag114
Lol... my going in position was too buy him and beater car, teach him humility, etc.

His grades are the best ever now, he hasn't driven a mile over the speed limit yet... and somehow this all flipped my switches to.. "he's a really good kid, I can get him something he'll smile getting into, etc"

He is a d-bag to his little brother sometimes but I can see him cocky enough to screw around in the car... all the power in this is in the top end where he won't have the confidence to be in for a long while.
Don't underestimate the bravery of a teenage driver.. My parents once told me that i could not drive over 100 mph and that I would not be able to control the car.. That was a challenge to my 16 year old ears.. I undestand now that my parents were just trying to protect me but it was like the gauntlet had been thrown down and I had to accept the challenge. I had an 84 Iroc Z28 at the time...
Old 11-19-2016, 08:27 PM

2009 c63
I understand the young bravery thing... I did the same in my parents cars... eventually... you wonder what it's like to drive a little faster...

In a lower power car... it just takes longer to make that mistake so you have at least a few more seconds to reconsider

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Manual Tranmission for a Teens first Car?