C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

C63 Power Steering/Whine

Old 11-27-2016, 11:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 E63 AMG, 1998 Dodge Ram 2500 "Holy Grail"
C63 Power Steering/Whine

Back in August I purchased a 2009 C63 with 65000 miles. I have since put about 5000 miles on it and it has been quite reliable. However, when I purchased the car it had some issues. For the most part I have either researched these issues and learned how to fix them, or I already knew how to resolve theman they've been fixed.

There are still some minor issues that have been resolved that are probably not covered in forums since I have already used the forums to gather info on the other issues and haven't seen many threads related to the matters.

There are 2 issues that I have been stumped on that are quite annoying that I would like to resolve ASAP due to their annoyance.

The first is a very loud whine that comes from the left side of the car near the driver side front wheel. I believe it either is the alternator or the power steering module. The whine is significantly louder depending on the temperature outside. The colder it is, the louder it gets. When the temperature was 80-95 outside, the noise was inaudible. However, as it has progressively gotten colder so has the noise. When the steering wheel is rotated, the noises pitch also varies in different sound pitches. It also gets louder (increased RPM) or goes away almost entirely (idle).

The next issue is a whistle noise that is not mechanically related. I don't have a very good idea where this whistling noise is coming from but it might be coming from the windshield. The noise only occurs when the car is traveling at ~60-85 mph. Any faster and the noise goes away, and any slower and the noise is not present.

Anyways, thank you for any input and sorry if any of this happens to be a repost. I just would like a personal input. I don't want to take it to the dealer if I cant just fix the problem myself.
Old 11-28-2016, 12:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
C63 AMG P30 *EuroCharged*| Porsche Cayenne | Buell XB9SX
Did you check to see if your power steering fluid level was low?
Old 11-28-2016, 08:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 679 Likes on 464 Posts
12 C63BS Magno Alanite Grey, 22 X3M Brooklyn Grey, 08 BMW E93, 22 Ducati Desert Sled, John Deere 3R
Originally Posted by m a x i m u s
Did you check to see if your power steering fluid level was low?
Check this for sure, they tend to whine when low, especially at fully lock - does the sound change at idle when you turn the wheel lock to lock?