Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So... My... Friend got pulled over in Cali

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 03:17 PM

Received 100 Likes on 72 Posts
C63 AMG - LSD
^God damnit Diabolis now you're making me wanna fight it again...
Old 12-15-2016, 04:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
Diabolis the laws are probably different. In the US cops can testify in court that in their experience it was determined that the exhaust was too loud, and therefore must either be modified or in need of repair. That's as good as x-ray vision and Robocop hearing here in the good old land of the free...
The following users liked this post:
SuperFastYo (12-15-2016)
Old 12-15-2016, 04:09 PM

C63 AMG - LSD
Originally Posted by BLKROKT
Diabolis the laws are probably different. In the US cops can testify in court that in their experience it was determined that the exhaust was too loud, and therefore must either be modified or in need of repair. That's as good as x-ray vision and Robocop hearing here in the good old land of the free...
Very true, unfortunately PoPo kinda have the final say. I got a buddy whos retired so I think I will hit him up and see if he can pull a favor for me. If not, oh well.
Old 12-15-2016, 04:15 PM

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
2015 G63, Sold 2010 C63 AMG Development Package
Still if a cop in California gives you a ticket that requires you to appear in court it is still worth hiring an attorney. You'll have a better chance of getting them to drop the case instead of you trying to make your point in court. Still sounds odd he wrote you a ticket where all you can do is pay it instead of them verifying compliance. At least thats an error in your favor that no one has to look at it.
Old 12-15-2016, 04:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 794 Likes on 545 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Originally Posted by BLKROKT
Oh, they can (and do) testify to that here too. What you have to do as a defendant is demonstrate that their experience is not objective. That argument has exactly the same amount of (even legal) logic in it as "I farted and moments later there was a car crash twenty feet away, so therefore me farting makes nearby cars crash". The prosecution is using a police officer's OPINION as the only evidence agsint you, so you have to show that the officer's opinion ain't worth $h!t and it's an automatic dismissal. If they had a SPL meter and you could show that the meter's reading was $h!t, you'd also walk. The difference here is that it's hell of a lot easier to show that a person's (the cop's) opinion is incorrect - because it is subjective - than a SPL meter (or a radar gun), which is objective.

And, for the record, I am strictly speaking from a legal perspective here... *NOT* a moral one. The legal defintion of guilt is VERY different from a moral one. The notions of right and wrong do not exist in a court of law. I am most certainly not suggesting that he lie or cheat... only that he has a constitutional right to question and refute the evidence against him, which in this case ought to be pretty easy if he knows what and how to ask.
Old 12-15-2016, 04:44 PM

C63 AMG - LSD
Originally Posted by Diabolis
Oh, they can (and do) testify to that here too. What you have to do as a defendant is demonstrate that their experience is not objective. That argument has exactly the same amount of (even legal) logic in it as "I farted and moments later there was a car crash twenty feet away, so therefore me farting makes nearby cars crash". The prosecution is using a police officer's OPINION as the only evidence agsint you, so you have to show that the officer's opinion ain't worth $h!t and it's an automatic dismissal. If they had a SPL meter and you could show that the meter's reading was $h!t, you'd also walk. The difference here is that it's hell of a lot easier to show that a person's (the cop's) opinion is incorrect - because it is subjective - than a SPL meter (or a radar gun), which is objective.

And, for the record, I am strictly speaking from a legal perspective here... *NOT* a moral one. The legal defintion of guilt is VERY different from a moral one. The notions of right and wrong do not exist in a court of law. I am most certainly not suggesting that he lie or cheat... only that he has a constitutional right to question and refute the evidence against him, which in this case ought to be pretty easy if he knows what and how to ask.
In all honesty it sounds like Ill have to take a day off work for it, So I lose out on pay for the day (hourly not salary) which puts me at around the amount I'd have to pay. I lose either way...
Old 12-15-2016, 04:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
I don't know about you guys... but here in Ontario even a minor ticket will jack up your insurance rates, and furthermore if you ever get dinged with something a bit more serious, the prosecution has a record of every single infraction you have ever committed - been CONVICTED OF, that is, which is what paying the fine means - since you were given a licence. Just saying... save the guily plea for when you really need it to get out of a jam and try to keep your record as clean as possible!!!
Old 12-15-2016, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by SuperFastYo
In all honesty it sounds like Ill have to take a day off work for it, So I lose out on pay for the day (hourly not salary) which puts me at around the amount I'd have to pay. I lose either way...
If this is equivalent to a parking ticket (something that does not get permanently recorded anywhere), then paying it is by far the most feasible option. If it's something that stays on your driving record and that the police have the ability to pull up at a future date for any reason, fight it. The cost of the ticket itself - or the day's pay spent fighting it - is nothing compared to what you may face one day for a more serious offence when having received various tickets in the past may not work in your favour... so if this has the possiblity of coming back to bite you in the a$$ one day, I would gladly forefit a day's pay. That's just me though... YMMV.
Old 12-21-2016, 01:18 PM

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
2013 C63 AMG P31
And this friend happens to have his cats and res replaced with SS straight pipes. When he was passing a cop car the cop decided to roll his windows down and stay with my friend right at the exhaust level. Even though my friend made a valiant effort by putting the car into neutral the cop followed him long enough to where he was forced to accelerate. Now my friend has a fixit ticket for a modified exhaust.

Can anyone help m...I mean my friend out? Any way for him to fight the ticket?

For anyone curious he works in a beach city, so cops are dic... not pleasant about it.

Screw California and their Nazish eco-laws...
Old 12-21-2016, 01:22 PM

C63 AMG - LSD
Originally Posted by C63fora2w1
Screw California and their Nazish eco-laws...
They could care less about the ecological ramifications of ****. It's just another topic to piggyback on in order to create more funds. I highly doubt that cop heard my exhaust and thought about to environmental problems it is causing. He saw it as just a way to **** with a young guy with a car he enjoys. Oh well, I love the weather and stuff to do here too much to leave lol.

Also, at least now the next person who has this issue will have this thread to refer back to in order to know the process and fees.

LMFAO jk they'll create a new thread and BLKROKT will harass him for it and someone else will link this thread. Then we'll talk about how everyone doesn't search. Then they'll get defensive lol

Last edited by SuperFastYo; 12-21-2016 at 01:25 PM.
Old 12-21-2016, 04:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 393 Likes on 272 Posts
2012 E550 Cabrio
LMFAO jk they'll create a new thread and BLKROKT will harass him for it and someone else will link this thread. Then we'll talk about how everyone doesn't search. Then they'll get defensive lol
Nice summary!
Old 12-21-2016, 05:06 PM

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
2013 C63 AMG P31
They could care less about the ecological ramifications of ****. It's just another topic to piggyback on in order to create more funds. I highly doubt that cop heard my exhaust and thought about to environmental problems it is causing. He saw it as just a way to **** with a young guy with a car he enjoys. Oh well, I love the weather and stuff to do here too much to leave lol.

Also, at least now the next person who has this issue will have this thread to refer back to in order to know the process and fees.

I think we've had this conversation but none the less I offer Florida and a very nice alternative.. You have the same warm weather with none of the craziness ie.. loony liberals, smog laws, and best of all none of the taxes. If you want to run 3in straight pipe off 1 7/8 headers into 40 series flowmasters nobody is going to say a thing.. that's how I ran my 69 Camaro..
Old 12-21-2016, 05:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 125 Likes on 95 Posts
2006 E55
I didn't read the 4 pages, but did the cop actually issue you a ticket or just a Fix-It notice? If it's a ticket, go to court and fight - sometimes cops don't even show.

This reminded me of an interesting story with my old E39 M5. That car was loud. I had long tubes basically straight piped into aftermarket (loud, amplified) mufflers - the b*tch SCREAMED even with normal driving. Anyway, went to the airport to pick up my brother and one of those rent-a-cop dbags signaled for me to pull over. At first, I thought he was a cool cop. He came to my window, asked me to rev it a bit, told me it sounds good etc. He came back with a ticket. I told him this is how M5s sound and he laughed. Fast forward 4 months after two postponements by me, the guy never showed. Judge threw it out. No ticket/fix it notices after that and I owned the car another two years after that.

I never, ever drove any of my cars through the airport again, though - not taking the chance for another power trip cop.

How do fix it tickets work in Cali? Can you just mail in a fine and be done with it?

Anyway, probably didn't help you but felt I needed to tell that story
Old 12-22-2016, 01:41 PM

C63 AMG - LSD
Originally Posted by C63fora2w1
I think we've had this conversation but none the less I offer Florida and a very nice alternative.. You have the same warm weather with none of the craziness ie.. loony liberals, smog laws, and best of all none of the taxes. If you want to run 3in straight pipe off 1 7/8 headers into 40 series flowmasters nobody is going to say a thing.. that's how I ran my 69 Camaro..
But here we just have earthquakes. There I have to worry about my house being under 10ft of water LOL. TBH I'm just comfortable. I love my area and I can't really find my Job anywhere but here. It's a bit of a niche profession.

Originally Posted by ArmoE55
I didn't read the 4 pages, but did the cop actually issue you a ticket or just a Fix-It notice? If it's a ticket, go to court and fight - sometimes cops don't even show.

How do fix it tickets work in Cali? Can you just mail in a fine and be done with it?
Just pay it and be on your way. It's a fixit ticket.