Sponsored by:

Alignment problems and steering wheel off center

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 04:26 PM

Received 87 Likes on 58 Posts
G63/RR LWB/W222 S550
Originally Posted by PurpleHeartAMG
^I believe he has coilovers installed at shop 1, no alignment.

Then blowout.

Then went to shop 2 for an alignment and the bad alignment is what they sent him home with.

Then he either went back to the shop 1 that installed coilovers or a different shop for that last alignment which was better.

At least that's how I'm following this
You have it right!! Sorry guys I type from my phone and didn't realize how confusing I am.

Shop 1: Did my install of coils and the better alignment

Shop 2: Did the FIRST AND BAD alignment and told me something is bad, sent me home with negative 3.7 camber.

I called the owner of shop 2. He said he himself had a C63 before and believes the coilover install shop adjusted the control arm bolts to make the camber go in spec, but it will be off again when I hit a bump. He claims the camber bolts have a lock or a nut that keeps them from slipping and that the way they adjusted the current bolts is bad. Basically he was avoiding blame.

He said he would offer me 25%-40% off next time lol. It sucks that this was the only time I didn't pay with my AMEX and used cash as AMEX is good about these kind of things. My fiancee is more of the arguing, fighting to get money back type.....I simply accept it and move on. I won't be going back. RCT Performance avoid them.
Old 02-11-2017, 05:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,594 Likes on 938 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
We "technically" have no camber adjustment in the front. However, you can shave off the tabs (I think they call them crash tabs or something in the WIS) to achieve some adjustment. They are there to adjust camber if for some reason you wreck your car and the camber is out afterwards. You can see them in the below pictures, the red lines in the 2nd pic is what you would remove to make it flat.

Removing the tabs gives the LCA some wiggle room which allows for some camber adjustment. It's a "free" mod for those who are lowered looking to remove some negative camber.

Given how much you were lowered, the -3.7° from that 2nd shop who did your alignment was physically impossible on a C63 that has not been damaged. Even if those tabs were shaved and they had the LCA moved outward as far as it could go there's still no way you could get that much negative camber.

There was also no way to botch the coilover install to affect the camber like that either. This is why a coupe of us immediately assumed something was damaged when, in reality, it was just a screw up by the 2nd shop mounting/adjusting the alignment machine sensors.

Lastly, if you look at the left and right front camber delta between the two alignments, it's identical. You added 1.5° of camber to the left and removed 1.5° on the right. Since you have no camber adjustment this leads me to believe shop #2 didn't install the sensors properly or screwed up with the calibration. Shop #1 also reduced your caster on the left side which will helped prevent your car from pulling to the right. On top of that, they did make your rear a little worse, they increased your thrust angle by changing the rear toe. You may notice that under hard acceleration btw.

Either way, glad you're sorted now, don't worry about the rear. It's not out enough to be concerned about.
Attached Thumbnails Alignment problems and steering wheel off center-1b_mod.jpg  

Last edited by Jasonoff; 02-11-2017 at 05:22 PM.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:38 PM
SPONSOR

Received 152 Likes on 122 Posts
Mercedes-Benz CLK 550
Originally Posted by Jasonoff
Hey K-Mac, this user has an actual problem with his suspension. Let's help him with his problem first, then, if he wants to dial out some camber you can chime in with your product.
OK point taken, do understand where you are coming from.... it is the frustration of so many owners out there thinking – surely OEM a “full front and rear wheel alignment” is more than just Toe adjustment!
Old 02-13-2017, 08:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,594 Likes on 938 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by K-Mac
OK point taken, do understand where you are coming from.... it is the frustration of so many owners out there thinking – surely OEM a “full front and rear wheel alignment” is more than just Toe adjustment!
No worries, turns out everything was fine. Just an incompetent shop that did his alignment.

Now, if he wants less camber to help with some tire wear your products would be right up his alley.