C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

eurocharged v6 shifting problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 09:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 c63 S AMG
I am having this issue and i don't have a tune. Sounds like after reading this Tunes can be hit or miss and wont get the respect of responses you deserve.
Old 04-02-2017, 10:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 846 Likes on 594 Posts
E63S | X5
Originally Posted by lilmanvc15
I am having this issue and i don't have a tune. Sounds like after reading this Tunes can be hit or miss and wont get the respect of responses you deserve.
What?

This doesn't sound like an EC issue, but an MB tranny issue. I ran EC tunes forever and never had a problem. Also -- 2013. Perhaps the year and OEM software updates have something to do with this?

The fact you went back to your stock file and still had to problem has me pointing all fingers in MB's direction.
Old 04-03-2017, 01:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,810 Likes on 1,664 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
Or 'user error'
Old 04-03-2017, 10:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 144 Likes on 110 Posts
2012 c63 AMG, 2011 GLK 350, 2019 GLS 450
Let us know how it goes at the dealer.
Old 04-04-2017, 01:42 AM

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts
'16 CLS63S
Originally Posted by lilmanvc15

Originally Posted by BLKROKT
Or 'user error'
explain?

Originally Posted by PurpleHeartAMG
What?

This doesn't sound like an EC issue, but an MB tranny issue. I ran EC tunes forever and never had a problem. Also -- 2013. Perhaps the year and OEM software updates have something to do with this?

The fact you went back to your stock file and still had to problem has me pointing all fingers in MB's direction.

Originally Posted by AMGonFire
Let us know how it goes at the dealer.
appointment set for next monday at the dealer
Old 04-04-2017, 02:07 AM

'16 CLS63S
Originally Posted by zcct04
Be very careful about reflashing after the dealer has updated your software. Talk to EC, ask lots of questions, explain your situation clearly, and get their assurance that what you are doing is OK.

This comes from painful personal experience. I reflashed my EC-tuned car back to stock because the tune was blocking an emissions test. While it was on stock tune, the dealer updated the ECU during a routine maintenance visit. I had no clue that this could cause problems. EC evidently did know but never asked the right question. Total communications failure. When EC flashed the tune back in, the reflash bricked the ECU. Nothing EC or the dealerships did could salvage the ECU. I was out of a car for a month and dropped almost a grand getting it fixed. This was avoidable if the right questions had been asked. I hope my bad experience can save others from similar pain.
Can you explain a little bit further? What was the "right question" ?
Old 04-04-2017, 01:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts
C63 coupe, Z3M Roadster garage queen
Originally Posted by bentz69
Can you explain a little bit further? What was the "right question" ?
The right question to ask before flashing the tune back in was probably "has anyone flashed this car's ECU program after it had been returned to stock?"

EC never really explained what happened - perhaps they would be willing to jump in and explain this more clearly so nobody else gets bit.
Old 04-11-2017, 02:14 PM

'16 CLS63S
Quick update since I've gotten a few pm's asking.

Car went in to the dealer yesterday morning and took a drive with the tech first thing. Obviously I had no problem reproducing the problem and the tech confirmed it had a flare in the upshift.

I got the update today that he did a relearn of the shiftpoints (whatever u call it), he did a test drive yesterday and again today. He tells me the flare is gone but the car will be there until atleast tomorrow tackling a rattle in the door that came down to the window switch and needed to order a new one.

I'm still skeptical until I can drive it but hopefully I'll have it back tomorrow.

In the meantime, they gave me a '17 e300. Love the tech in this car but man, it has no ***** lol
Old 04-14-2017, 12:36 AM

'16 CLS63S
As I thought, I was skepitcal about the dealer saying the problem was resolved since there is a specific amount of throttle needed to produce the problem. I just dont think the tech has enough seat time in my car to be able to reproduce the problem at will.

The tech told me that he did adaptation relearn but the computer would only allow him to do it in C mode. When he tried to do the relearn in S and S+, the computer would not allow it. I havent been able to reproduce the problem in C mode but it still happens in S and S+. Strange huh..

So the car will be headed back to the dealer to dig deeper.

On a better note, the tech fixed a rattle in the rear deck by applying felt tape to the 3rd brake light and few other areas. Also fixed a door rattle that traveled through the dash and came out the side vent. The driver side window switch had an internal rattle so the switch was replaced. Car is currently rattle free but im sure something else will pop up lol. There was also a tear in the felt trim in the pano roof (no idea how that happened) but they labeled it as "discolored" and the whole panel was replaced under warranty.
Old 04-14-2017, 06:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
I had the v5 on my ml63, and I had a part throttle bucking surging, that drove me nuts. Would go away if I reset adaptations. But who the hell wants to have to do that every so often in a 100k car? Not a fan of am tunes on a dd merc.

Gl. I would just put the stock tune back on a 507 Ed. Not worth the hassle, and non merc driving characteristics IMHO. Gl

.....no flames please... Just my 2 cents from my experience and after spending my hard earned $$$....

Last edited by betrezra; 04-14-2017 at 06:24 AM.
Old 04-14-2017, 11:23 AM

'16 CLS63S
Originally Posted by betrezra
I had the v5 on my ml63, and I had a part throttle bucking surging, that drove me nuts. Would go away if I reset adaptations. But who the hell wants to have to do that every so often in a 100k car? Not a fan of am tunes on a dd merc.

Gl. I would just put the stock tune back on a 507 Ed. Not worth the hassle, and non merc driving characteristics IMHO. Gl

.....no flames please... Just my 2 cents from my experience and after spending my hard earned $$$....
The stock tune is back on the car and the problem is still there. Not nearly as much with the v6 tune but its still there. With v6, it would happen in each mode and more frequently then the stock tune. At this point, it only happens in S and S+ with the stock tune.

Until the dealer can figure out whats going on, it appears to be an issue with the trans BUT the v6 tune made it much worse and more frequent
Old 05-11-2017, 07:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 c63 S AMG
Clearfication

I am not downplaying the quality of the Eurocharged tune. I want to make sure everyone knows. I am saying please make sure you know your cars problems with shifting and have them addressed to the best of the dealerships capabilities before considering a tune. I have noticed my issues of shifting has come to the gas quality I used. I am on the considering factor of purchasing a tune today. Before pulling the trigger does anyone have any negative review before doing it?
Old 05-11-2017, 10:00 AM

Received 87 Likes on 58 Posts
G63/RR LWB/W222 S550
It seems EC pays MBWORLD the most money and has the most "social" face so any issues or problems that arise are quickly blamed on the users themselves and not on EC and EC manages to disappear/vanish.

I recall some "seasoned" members defending EC stance on charging upgrade fee even when they claimed there was never going to be a fee and than those same members criticized others for being cheap for driving a C63 and complaining about $35. If you step outside MBWORLD you will see there are many other options than EC and the EC bandwagon *** licking is a real deal over here.

My 2 cents. Either way it made me realize NOT to go to EC. OP keep us updated what dealer in long island are using?
Old 05-11-2017, 07:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 407 Likes on 289 Posts
'10 C63
my car ended up having a stored code for a MAF. We will see if my issues are gone now.
Old 05-18-2017, 01:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 C63
Update to my issue.

Mods when I had part throttle hesitation/chugging:
Eurocharged v6 tune, ARH catless headers and x-pipe, charcoal filter delete, Weistec dry filters.

I started to have MAF sensor stored codes (still US airboxes). I think the increased airflow of the headers and the lack of charcoal filters was causing the MAFs to trip out. I swapped to ROW airboxes and all the stuttering and hesitation is gone. Throttle inputs now result in smooth acceleration. I didn't try the stock airboxes with charcoal filters and stock filters, but maybe the charcoal filters and stock filters have a straightening effect for the airflow going into the US airboxes.

Bottom line: the tune was fine. the other mods were (or lack thereof) not playing nicely.
Old 05-18-2017, 02:02 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
Originally Posted by simandang
It seems EC pays MBWORLD the most money and has the most "social" face so any issues or problems that arise are quickly blamed on the users themselves and not on EC and EC manages to disappear/vanish.
lol Or maybe its the fact that we have tuned so many cars we pretty much know what is happening, even when people don't want to admit its a hardware fault. (as this clearly was)

Originally Posted by chrisridebike8
Update to my issue.

Eurocharged v6 tune, ARH catless headers and x-pipe, charcoal filter delete, Weistec dry filters.

I started to have MAF sensor stored codes (still US airboxes). I think the increased airflow of the headers and the lack of charcoal filters was causing the MAFs to trip out. I swapped to ROW airboxes and all the stuttering and hesitation is gone. Throttle inputs now result in smooth acceleration. I didn't try the stock airboxes with charcoal filters and stock filters, but maybe the charcoal filters and stock filters have a straightening effect for the airflow going into the US airboxes.

Bottom line: the tune was fine. the other mods were (or lack thereof) not playing nicely.
glad to see you got it worked out!
Old 05-18-2017, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
'10 C63
Update to my issue.

the reason i asked OP to look into his filters were to rule out the possibility that it could be linked to that. i had similar hesitation issues. i was battling it for a while fully believing that it was an issue with my EC tune. but it wasn't. i had some codes checked including stored codes. replaced 2 o2 sensors, fixed some exhaust leaks, changed my dirty filter and replaced with k&n, and fixed and replaced all the airbox screws with the new updated ones because the previous ones were rusted and broken possibly causing the lid to not be tight. i jumped from v4, v5, v6, in various stages and of course the stock tune and i was still having the issues until i did everything listed above. and then my hesitation and weird shifting issue went completely away. i tested on the stock tune, v5 tune and the car would drive beautifully... i then went to v6 and it was smoother than ever. felt like driving a brand new car. i seriously had no doubt that it was the tune's fault that caused the issue but in the end i was dead wrong. it had absolutely nothing to do with the tune that jerry provided. i just needed to take better care of my car i guess. now i'm enjoying driving my car more than ever and i'm almost at 100k miles.
The following users liked this post:
loungn14 (05-18-2017)
Old 05-18-2017, 05:14 PM

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
C63 AMG Black Series
Update to my issue.

Thanks for coming back and updating us! I hate it when people don't come back and update their thread or post with a solution. Sucks when searching and you see a thread with no end result.

I think I'm going to order the row intakes with BMC filters and run them without a tune for a bit. See how I like it first. I wonder how many people run this setup without a tune?
Old 05-18-2017, 05:19 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
2014 C63 AMG Edition 507 coupe
Agreed. I'm glad to read that you got it sorted out and what the issue was.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 144 Likes on 110 Posts
2012 c63 AMG, 2011 GLK 350, 2019 GLS 450
Originally Posted by SuckaGDog
Thanks for coming back and updating us! I hate it when people don't come back and update their thread or post with a solution. Sucks when searching and you see a thread with no end result.

I think I'm going to order the row intakes with BMC filters and run them without a tune for a bit. See how I like it first. I wonder how many people run this setup without a tune?
i ran row boxes and afe filters for a while no tune no issues it's a stock mb part
Old 05-18-2017, 05:30 PM

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
C63 AMG Black Series
Originally Posted by AMGonFire
i ran row boxes and afe filters for a while no tune no issues it's a stock mb part
Cool beans, that's what I thought. Just wanted confirmation from someone else who might have done this. Thanks again!
Old 05-18-2017, 06:37 PM

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
2012 C63 AMG
I'm running RoW airboxes and no tune and all good. Dealership says my car "is a peach". But I am starting to think I might need the v6 tune...
Old 05-18-2017, 07:22 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts
93' 500E, 95' Corolla
Update to my issue.

I can tell y'all from my experience (if you don't know feel free to ask) A TON of problems are due to user error. If anyone is using "DIY ROW Airboxes"... you will have issues. I have removed and thrown in the garbage many sets over the last 10 or so years because someone thought they were being clever and took out their charcoal filter, or worse yet, took a dremel to the velocity stack

The M156 is extremely sensitive to airflow charges over the MAFs. As a fun experiment you can do yourself at home: (if you have ROW boxes and drop ins)

1. go warm up your car and pop the hood

2. with the engine idling, pretend like you're 14 years old and trying to blow out all the birthday candles...

3. use your super blow and direct it into one of your snorkels

4. you will most likely (if you are enough of a blow-hard) notice a mild-moderate fluctuation in the rpm.

end experiment

It can be noticeable sitting in drive at a stop light, and a gust of wind comes up, the engine may feel like it gets a sudden surge, or anything like that.

Point of my story is don't cut your boxes... if you want ROW, buy ROW - don't be a hack. otherwise, the MAF's are sensitive.

Thanks

Dave
Old 05-18-2017, 09:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 C63
Thanks, Dave! I didn't dremel the boxes at all. I'm not THAT dumb. Haha. But yes, I noticed that at least my car seemed sensitive to MAF changes. It even stalled on the first start with the ROW boxes until the adaptations were reset. That v6 tune...it's smoooooth.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
'10 C63
Originally Posted by SuckaGDog

a word of caution on the bmc filters... they had a bad batch of filters at one point... there was another member that had posted about it falling apart in their airbox...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: eurocharged v6 shifting problems