Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
2009 SLK55 AMG
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merced...c_transmission
Old 05-13-2017, 12:30 AM

Received 83 Likes on 49 Posts
2012 Mercedes C63 AMG S
Originally Posted by Alex.currie44
Alex: That Wikipedia article has one particularly interesting statement in it:

"The 7G-Tronic has two reverse gear ratios: 3.416 and 2.231. The winter mode, also recently named 'comfort' mode, starts out in 2nd forward and 2nd reverse."

This IMPLIES that the original reason for providing the "Comfort" mode was to provide a WINTER mode, for use on slick surfaces where starting out in normal 1st gear, or reverse, would break traction.

Perhaps MB later decided that long term testing had indicated that the transmission would suffer no harm if that "winter' mode was re-labled as a "comfort' mode, in order to respond to customer complaints that the tranny was too "jerky" in "normal" (s?) mode?

Jim G
The following users liked this post:
Cahlheim (02-04-2019)
Old 05-13-2017, 12:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 SLK55 AMG
That is not news. I thought I made that comment in subsequent post. I know this because of the 11 cars I have had have had the 7G and I have driven it in winter for years.
Old 05-13-2017, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,572 Likes on 925 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
Comfort mode is for exactly that. It's made for comfort. Softer shifts, less jerky start because of the gear ratio etc...

I have never seen official Mercedes documentation mention "winter" mode. It's just beneficial to use in the winter with the C63 because of the available torque. Not a design decision by Mercedes.

Wikipedia can be modified by any keyboard monkey on the internet. Take the content with a grain of salt unless it's properly referenced.
Old 05-13-2017, 05:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 SLK55 AMG
Just because you never saw a W/S set up does not mean they did not exist.
Most of them were in cars with 4 sp auto as the W124 and the cars with the 5G transmission.
Both my W124s, my 2001CLK and my 2003 E320 had W/S selectors as did my 2001 SLK 320. The 2009 W211 I had E/S but the functionality was the same. The W212 was a 7 spd as were the SLK350 and used the E/S graphic. The CLA45 AMG as I recall has selector similar to ours with C, S, S+ and race.

W124 Transmission mode switch.

From a W220 S class early 2000s

Not sure of which model but...

Last edited by Alex.currie44; 05-13-2017 at 06:10 PM.
Old 05-13-2017, 06:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Alex.currie44
Just because you never saw a W/S set up does not mean they did not exist.
I was specifically referring to the 7G-Tronic. Lots of official data about winter mode for the 5G. Maybe that's where the comment on the 7G-Tronic wiki page spawned from?

Maybe W actually means wicked mode?
Old 02-12-2018, 06:26 PM

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
2018 e63s edition 1
I'm going to piggy back off this thread since I'm just going to be told to search anyways and this is what comes up. I've got a 2012 with 30k miles, I've had it a couple months now and although when it's warmed up I don't think it has any issues, I have a couple questions to see if these things are normal for the MCT since I'm unfamiliar with it.

The main one is when the car is first started for the day (cold weather if it matters) the trans seems to slip/not want to grab from a stop in Comfort first two or three minutes. t just seems like the first couple times I'm pulling away from a dead stop it struggles to grab and the RPM rev out a couple hundred more than usual before it grab. When the car warms up, before it's even fully warm, it goes away and feels normal.

Also, it won't go from C to S until it's warmed up a bit as well. I assume the latter is built in trying to stop someone from driving spiritly before the car is warmed up. I always leave it in Comfort until the oil temp stops from reading in blue (80C i think?) anyways, so no biggie. Just wondered if that's normal.

Finally, the 2-1 shift coming to a stop is kind of weird. Maybe a bit jerky? Almost like it just wants to grab it without any slipping which when mixed with the action of coming to a complete stop makes it feel like it's jerky?
Old 02-12-2018, 06:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts
W212 - E63 AMG
Originally Posted by ShaneN.
The main one is when the car is first started for the day (cold weather if it matters) the trans seems to slip/not want to grab from a stop in Comfort first two or three minutes. t just seems like the first couple times I'm pulling away from a dead stop it struggles to grab and the RPM rev out a couple hundred more than usual before it grab. When the car warms up, before it's even fully warm, it goes away and feels normal.
This is normal, now that the cars are a little older and it does seem to be something of a quirk that more and more of us are going to have to get used to. I just baby mine in general when it's this cold anyway for the engines' sake.

Also, it won't go from C to S until it's warmed up a bit as well. I assume the latter is built in trying to stop someone from driving spiritly before the car is warmed up. I always leave it in Comfort until the oil temp stops from reading in blue (80C i think?) anyways, so no biggie. Just wondered if that's normal.
I've never tried this...largely because at this point in a drive, the motor would still be very cold. Perhaps somebody else will know the answer to this.

Finally, the 2-1 shift coming to a stop is kind of weird. Maybe a bit jerky? Almost like it just wants to grab it without any slipping which when mixed with the action of coming to a complete stop makes it feel like it's jerky?
This could be a sign of a tired valvebody. A tranny re-adaptation might help. Probably wont though.
Old 02-12-2018, 06:56 PM

2018 e63s edition 1
Originally Posted by Celicasaur
This is normal, now that the cars are a little older and it does seem to be something of a quirk that more and more of us are going to have to get used to. I just baby mine in general when it's this cold anyway for the engines' sake.
That's good to hear as that is what I was most worried about. It seems to go away quickly and it's only the first time I drive the car that day, I mostly notice as I'm pulling out of my parking stall first thing in the morning. I drive my car like a granny until it's fully warm, usually leaving it under 2k rpm as that's where it seems to shift when putting around. The only reason I even noticed it won't switch from C right away is because I wanted to see if it slipped as bad leaving my parking in S/first gear.

Last edited by ShaneN.; 02-12-2018 at 06:59 PM.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 368 Likes on 271 Posts
2005 E55
That's good to hear as that is what I was most worried about. It seems to go away quickly and it's only the first time I drive the car that day, I mostly notice as I'm pulling out of my parking stall first thing in the morning. I drive my car like a granny until it's fully warm, usually leaving it under 2k rpm as that's where it seems to shift when putting around. The only reason I even noticed it won't switch from C right away is because I wanted to see if it slipped as bad leaving my parking in S/first gear.
that's weird I have a 13 and will let me switch to s and s+ and m mode even in -10 weather.

it will still start in second though even in m mode
Old 02-16-2018, 06:04 PM

2018 e63s edition 1
Originally Posted by skratch77
that's weird I have a 13 and will let me switch to s and s+ and m mode even in -10 weather.

it will still start in second though even in m mode
I don't know if weather has anything to do with it, maybe it's a Canadian car thing. Or a "problem" with mine? lol. It will never let me go to S until it's about half way warm. I'm going to try again and see if any other modes work.
Old 02-16-2018, 06:54 PM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
'13 C63 & AP2 S2000
I have a '13 and I can switch modes no matter what temps and its a Canadian car. Maybe its a thing for '12? When mine is cold, it will also stay in 2nd, regardless of C, S, S+ or M.

When mine is super cold, I leave it in C but shift manually and let the revs go up to around 2000-2200rpm. Seems to shift a lot better than the standard C around 1700rpm and the shift is more direct with less slippage.

I find this transmission a bit jerky on low rpm downshifts, yes. Especially from 2nd to 1st if in Sport mode. Sometimes I wish it would stay in 2nd even in sport. Its not an automatic with a torque converter floating in fluid, it does have clutches (wet mind you) and sometimes it can be un smooth. But yes, 2-->1 can be rough, especially if youre not expecting it and are rolling a stop and getting back on the gas as it downshifts. This car requires attention.

Mine started to bang 4th gear, thats when I knew I had to change Trans Fluid. After that it was much better. Not a bad maintenance item if it has not been done to your car yet.
Old 02-16-2018, 07:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 761 Likes on 527 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
My '13 also lets me change the transmission modes at any temperature (including at -20 C), but while the engine is cold will not shift down to 1st. In other words, it behaves like just what gtracer described. This is also how the '14 507 operates as well (I occasionally get to drive one that belongs to a colleague). Both are Canadian cars.

The 2 to 1 shift has been jerky on any MCT equipped car I've driven (and I've probably driven 10 of them). It's very likely due to the very short 1st gear and the fact that it's a proper clutch, not a torque converter.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:13 PM

2018 e63s edition 1
Originally Posted by gtracer
I When mine is cold, it will also stay in 2nd, regardless of C, S, S+ or M.
Originally Posted by Diabolis
My '13 also lets me change the transmission modes at any temperature (including at -20 C), but while the engine is cold will not shift down to 1st. In other words

That's totally what it was doing and I had just forgotten by the time I finally made a post to bring it up, because I just tried an hour ago and it will go into any mode right off cold start.

Last edited by ShaneN.; 02-17-2018 at 11:15 PM.
Old 02-18-2018, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Mosselman 190E 16V+ C63S+ Abarth 595
Yeah the MCT when cold feels like driving a manual with the clutch half way in and is 100% normal.
As for the OP; my wifie is in IT and says that the amount of flashing to the ECU, as stated already, could very well have corrupted the ECU.
As for the dude with the Pre-facelift complaining of slip feeling; I would immediately flush the trans fluid. I do not trust any torque converter as the one on my C32 blew the F up on me.
ShaneN. (02-20-2018)
Old 06-11-2019, 11:52 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
2017 AMG C63, 2001 C5 Corvette
[QUOTE=Jasonoff;7137204]I'm sure the DimSport flash process contains bugs. (SW bugs, not actual bugs like what live in BLKROKT's crotch...)

Ha Ha. this thread is OLD, but this guy did the exact same thing to me in 2019. This idiot jumped in my very 1st thread and told me what an idiot I was, and thinks he knows everything, but he doesn't. Glad other members besides me have this guy pegged.

BACk on Topic. Did you ever get this figured out? I have a EC Tune ordered, but the handhelds are back ordered, so it's likely another week out. I was contacted by another forum member asking about my tune and if I had any issues, but I explained I hadn't tuned it yet as I do not physically have anything.

He had the same year C63 as me (2017) and mentioned after he installed his Tune, he was having tranny slipping in 3-4 shifts. he finally took off the Tune and put it back to stock and it immediately went away.

He then got a different mfg.'s the tune, DME and told me he hadn't had the issue pop back up. He said the 1st Tune performed well in terms of performance but caused his shifts to slip? I am a little concerned now.

Last edited by TexasBenzBandit; 06-12-2019 at 12:07 AM.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,810 Likes on 1,664 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
Originally Posted by TexasBenzBandit
Ha Ha. this thread is OLD, but this guy did the exact same thing to me in 2019. This idiot jumped in my very 1st thread and told me what an idiot I was, and thinks he knows everything, but he doesn't. Glad other members besides me have this guy pegged.

BACk on Topic. Did you ever get this figured out? I have a EC Tune ordered, but the handhelds are back ordered, so it's likely another week out. I was contacted by another forum member asking about my tune and if I had any issues, but I explained I hadn't tuned it yet as I do not physically have anything.

He had the same year C63 as me (2017) and mentioned after he installed his Tune, he was having tranny slipping in 3-4 shifts. he finally took off the Tune and put it back to stock and it immediately went away.

He then got a different mfg.'s the tune, DME and told me he hadn't had the issue pop back up. He said the 1st Tune performed well in terms of performance but caused his shifts to slip? I am a little concerned now.

Last edited by BLKROKT; 06-12-2019 at 03:54 AM.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 429 Likes on 352 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
[QUOTE=TexasBenzBandit;7776908]
Originally Posted by Jasonoff
I'm sure the DimSport flash process contains bugs. (SW bugs, not actual bugs like what live in BLKROKT's crotch...)

This is the C63 W204 forum you want the C63/63S W205 forum. Here is the link to it: https://mbworld.org/forums/c43-amg-c...-amg-w205-187/

From the sounds of it I am pretty sure BLKROKT was right about you.
BLKROKT (06-12-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 11:32 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
2017 AMG C63, 2001 C5 Corvette
Actually, Mort, if you and your little TROLLING buddy could READ, I said was contacted by ANOTHER forum member, NOT the one who created the thread. Slow down, concentrate, and try to put the words together, slowly, you'll catch on after a few weeks, then you can move on to the larger words. The OTHER forum member who contacted ME, has the exact same 2017 C63V-8 Bi-Turbo as I stated above. We've been discussing the tune since I've purchased and am waiting for the same one. I read a few of your threads, they tell a lot about you. You've proven you're definitely a little light in the brains department.
Why do a FEW people like you have to chime in on topics you have no clue on just to be a #$%^? I just don't get it? Since you like to include Links, here is one that may help, https://www.education.com/lesson-plans/ela/reading/
Old 06-12-2019, 11:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Originally Posted by TexasBenzBandit
Actually, Mort, if you and your little TROLLING buddy could READ, I said was contacted by ANOTHER forum member, NOT the one who created the thread. Slow down, concentrate, and try to put the words together, slowly, you'll catch on after a few weeks, then you can move on to the larger words. The OTHER forum member who contacted ME, has the exact same 2017 C63V-8 Bi-Turbo as I stated above. We've been discussing the tune since I've purchased and am waiting for the same one. I read a few of your threads, they tell a lot about you. You've proven you're definitely a little light in the brains department.
Why do a FEW people like you have to chime in on topics you have no clue on just to be a #$%^? I just don't get it? Since you like to include Links, here is one that may help, https://www.education.com/lesson-plans/ela/reading/
Dude... chill. BLKROKT and MORT have contributed more to the cause here than you can ever hope to learn. Inspead of being a self-righteous ******, perhaps it would do you some good to listen to your own advice and try and learn something, reading and comprehension most definitely included. There is only one troll here and it's you.
The following 2 users liked this post by Diabolis:
BLKROKT (06-13-2019), Mort (06-13-2019)
Old 06-13-2019, 08:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 AMG
I am greatful to be surrounded by so many smart people that feel the need to tell others they're smart.

Kind of reminds me of someone who's in charge of an entire Contry.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,810 Likes on 1,664 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
^ you spelled “asshöles” wrong. Just sayin. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old 06-28-2022, 01:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c63s
Originally Posted by bentz69
Going to start a new thread in hopes that someone can verify this does it does not happen with their car.

Having this issue with my '14 507 with 16,000 miles. Only mods are row boxes with afe dry flow filters and deleted second cats. Im having what appears to be a slip or flare between the 1-2, 2-3 and 3-4 gear change under partial throttle ONLY after the vehicle has reached normal operating temperature. Doesn't happen when the car is cold. The rpms flare about 200-400rpms right as the shift occurs, it goes to the next gear smoothly and quickly with no jerking, banging or bogging.

At first, this was happening in C, S and S+. Went to the dealer and took the tech for a ride to confirm the problem. First, they found no codes. They did a shift point adaptation relearn but the computer would only allow the relearn to be done in C. They also updated the tcu software. Got the car back and it no longer happens in C BUT still happens in S and S+. Took it back again and they did a wet clutch relearn. The computer allowed the wet clutch relearn in C and S Mode. Got the car back again and it still happens in S and S+ only just like before. I just recently realized it only happens when the car is fully warm and theres a very small window of throttle position for the slip to occur. That's why the dealer was unable to produce the problem and gave me the car back. But I can produce the problem anytime I want. This never happens under light throttle or wot. Only partial throttle.

I have 2 videos showing the problem.

Can anyone with a 7g mct tell me if they have ever noticed something like this happen? If not, can you guys with the mct trans try to make your trans do this. Select S mode. Once the car is fully warm, oil at 220f, ease into the throttle with enough pressure that would make your car typically shift around 2500 rpms and see if the rmps flare up a few hundred more rpms before completing the shift. Even when I do this, it doesn't happen 100% of the time. Sometimes takes a few tries.

Watch the rpms right around 2600 when the car attempts to shift from 3 to 4 and the tach jumps to 3000 before completing the shift
https://youtu.be/CW-mA_-cBOg

In this video it happens in every gear but is most noticeable in the 3-4 gear change around 2700
https://youtu.be/bC7dKdR1mYk

The tech is going to reach out to the shop foreman in hopes of replacing the valve body but he said its very hard for that to happen if there's no codes stored. I've checked dealers within 50 miles to see if they have the same car for sale and I would go do a test drive but no luck
hi Benz, I have attached a video. Am I having the same problem, please advise
Attached Files
File Type: mov
FullSizeRender.MOV (14.86 MB, 25 views)
Old 06-28-2022, 02:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by lJJl
hi Benz, I have attached a video. Am I having the same problem, please advise
1. You are posting in the wrong forum - the video you posted is from a W205, not a W204;
2. you are resurrecting a thread that is over 5 years old;
3. last but certainly not least, the only problem I see in your video is your driving. You are lugging the car on purpose by shifting barely above idle and you're already in 5th gear while doing 46 km/h.

Old 06-28-2022, 05:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c63s
Originally Posted by Diabolis
1. You are posting in the wrong forum - the video you posted is from a W205, not a W204;
2. you are resurrecting a thread that is over 5 years old;
3. last but certainly not least, the only problem I see in your video is your driving. You are lugging the car on purpose by shifting barely above idle and you're already in 5th gear while doing 46 km/h.
Hi, it will still happen if I drive faster. I drive slower for the video so that it can show the flare. I try setting on cruise control at 100km/h and the flare still happen like this video just that it’s on 7th gear. Will high flow downpipe cause rpm flare if it’s not a transmission slip?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: transmission slip