- The Eurocharge 6.3 AMG V6.0 ECU Review (Dyno Inside) -

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 01:13 PM

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts
CL63 AMG
Originally Posted by jptaylor
Nope, not true....

I have AFE dry filters and am very pleased with them.,...BUT....when I had Tony Lawshee at Buckhead Import Performance do my tuning and dyno-ing he showed me 1st hand that there was zero difference in output between factory filters and aftermarket....strapped to the dyno he made a pull with aftermarket (389rwhp), changed out to factory filters, made another pull(389rwhp).....I didn't have ROW at the time but was told that they did make a difference in output(said average was around 8hp)....this was at a tuning shop that rolled M156s through all the time so they had ample experience with what worked and what didn't.

You have it backwards, you NEED to have Row boxes to get the added benefits from the AFE filters. Without the Rows the stock airboxes cannot flow enough CFM. If you add row boxes with stock filters you STILL get zero HP difference (We did 6-7 Dyno'd back to back of both setups.)

It is NOT the Row boxes that make the power, it's the filters, but only when you get the Row boxes together.

Also, you cannot do the dyno test on a bone stock car because the ECU is constantly limiting power artificially so of course it will show no difference. That's why there was no difference. Stock tune limits airflow by not letting the throttle body operate at its maximum potential so of course it won't show anything on a stock setup no matter what combo you do.

In tune grand scheme of things the only way to get the power gains on the intake side is to do everything at once (that was the whole point of doing the dyno test). And without a tune there is zero point in doing the dyno test at all as the stock tune is heavily sandbagged to begin with.
Old 05-02-2017, 01:33 PM

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts
2009 C63 P30, 2008 Grand Cherokee SRT8(RIP)
Those dyno pulls were not with OEM file, they were WITH Tony's tuning in place....I understand the premise of what you are saying, more volume available equates to more cfm available with a freer flowing filter, but per these guys the OEM filters are NOT a limiting factor, as in they got +/-8hp with ROW boxes no matter WHAT filters were in the system. There are more factors to the ROW than just the volume....the horns are shapes differently, this changes airflow velocity, pathway, etc....also the MAFs see a different flow as well due to these changed Dynamics, and when the MAFs see different intake air conditions the ECU manages it's parameters differently....they may be 107% wrong, but I would consider Tony and Jason to be experts in all things M156 and per them it is not the filters, it's the box tops themselves....
Old 05-02-2017, 04:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 368 Likes on 271 Posts
2005 E55
Don't forget this was done with old dirty filters.im willing to bet the car will make power with row boxes and stock clean filters.

I have a dyno with row boxes and fresh oem filters and I made 400whp on stock car development package but I never dynoed it directly after tuning and afe pro drys.the end result after 15 pulls was 442whp on an aggressive 93+ file custom done or tuning.
Old 05-02-2017, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by skratch77
Don't forget this was done with old dirty filters.im willing to bet the car will make power with row boxes and stock clean filters.

I have a dyno with row boxes and fresh oem filters and I made 400whp on stock car development package but I never dynoed it directly after tuning and afe pro drys.the end result after 15 pulls was 442whp on an aggressive 93+ file custom done or tuning.

If this was in relation to mine the opposite was actually the case.....I had the aFe.filters in for prolly 4-5000mi when I got to the shop for tuning...Jason actually grabbed a pair of OEM filters off the shelf to show me there was no difference....but again, what I saw on my own pulls doesn't make my opinion that of an expert or give me the ability to provide wide spectrum feedback.....those guys made their statement based not on what they saw on my cars pulls, but what they had seen as the MEDIAN result after dozens if not hundreds of M156 dyno runs
Old 05-02-2017, 04:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 368 Likes on 271 Posts
2005 E55
Originally Posted by jptaylor
If this was in relation to mine the opposite was actually the case.....I had the aFe.filters in for prolly 4-5000mi when I got to the shop for tuning...Jason actually grabbed a pair of OEM filters off the shelf to show me there was no difference....but again, what I saw on my own pulls doesn't make my opinion that of an expert or give me the ability to provide wide spectrum feedback.....those guys made their statement based not on what they saw on my cars pulls, but what they had seen as the MEDIAN result after dozens if not hundreds of M156 dyno runs
I'm agreeing with you..when I posted my dyno every one was calling it not possible on a stock car to make 400whp. The only mod I had was row boxes and I had brand new oem filters because my old ones broke around the corners and was taking the car in for work so I just bought fresh filters to throw in.

I wish I did another pull with pro drys but i also didnt have a bone stock dyno with normal boxes and fresh filters.

the op probably didn't make any more power because the old ones were dirty and clogged up.
Old 05-02-2017, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by skratch77
I'm agreeing with you..when I posted my dyno every one was calling it not possible on a stock car to make 400whp. The only mod I had was row boxes and I had brand new oem filters because my old ones broke around the corners and was taking the car in for work so I just bought fresh filters to throw in.

I wish I did another pull with pro drys but i also didnt have a bone stock dyno with normal boxes and fresh filters.

the op probably didn't make any more power because the old ones were dirty and clogged up.

Gotcha!!!!