C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ESP inoperative, see Owners manual and vehicle smells like burnt crayons?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 10:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c63 2010
ESP inoperative, see Owners manual and vehicle smells like burnt crayons?

Recently bought an AMG c63. First problem I noticed when you drive the car hard (completely flooring it, or even trying to go sideways sometimes) ESP light comes on and your car goes in to safe mode, basically restricting ur RPM.

I couldn't find out the problem of the "ESP inoperative see Owners manual", until I got a remap from Eurocharged Canada.

If youre having this issue, this means you have an issue with your ECU. Remapping from the dealer will cost you just as much as a tune from Eurocharged.
I just got a V6 Catless Eurocharge tune and my car has never ran so smooth, much better than stock (in my opinion).

Problem #2 the vents were blowing air that smelled like crayons. I thought it would go away but it didn't. Finally got fed up with it, and decided to just taking one step at a time to find the solution.
Started with the cabin air filter, and immediately as I went under the glove box to change it, I can smell the strong crayon smell coming from there.
If you have a crayon smell coming from your vents, go under your glovebox and take a wiff, if it odor is evident there, its your air filter that requires to be change. (please note that I have a 2010 C63 w204) and that other years may have different locations for their air filters.

This post is for people struggling with these problems!! I couldn't find anything concrete online on this issue when I was looking for a solution so I hope this helps.

Note I also heard people talking about their leather turning into the smell of crayon. Not sure how that's possible, check your air cabin filter first.
Yes I heard people saying aged leather may have this problem, but I don't think this smell crayon smell is same crayon smell I had with the air cabin filter (it was REALLY strong).

Last edited by joeyfang1994; 05-02-2017 at 01:12 PM.
Old 05-02-2017, 12:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 2009
I have the same two problems you report but fixed different way.
first, the inoperative issue was fixed by changing the pedal.
second, the crayon smell actually comes from the carpet. I pulled the carpet up and without a doubt is comming there.

So are you saying thay the EC v6 fixed the problem? And your crayon smell are gone?
Old 05-02-2017, 01:54 AM

c63 2010
If the foul odor is coming from the ventilation systems of the vehicle, and only if, to conclude that the smell is coming solely from the carpet would be something I would have to disagree on.

both of these have been an issue and is now no longer. however, it is interesting how replacing a petal would fix a problem like that I would be highly skeptical of that.
Old 05-02-2017, 02:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 2009
I said i have crayons odor. I did not say it was comming from the vent.
so you are skeptical that the pedal fixed my inoperative issue , so you are saying im lying ? Are you retarded?
im commenting on this post because of similiar issues with different solutions. No where did i doubt yours way of resolving.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:25 AM

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts
2020GLC63
its been said the crayon smell is the leather. When you get in our cars you smell it the ac or vents (car) doesn't need to even been on.

Its a first someone has mentioned the carpets as apposed to the seats....
Old 05-02-2017, 01:08 PM

c63 2010
Originally Posted by jay rick
I said i have crayons odor. I did not say it was comming from the vent.
so you are skeptical that the pedal fixed my inoperative issue , so you are saying im lying ? Are you retarded?
im commenting on this post because of similiar issues with different solutions. No where did i doubt yours way of resolving.

You said you are having the same problems as I. If you in fact were, you can understand that I said the smell is coming from the Air vents. You state that you have a crayon smell that's not coming from the vents, but instead your carpet. In conclusion you do NOT have the same problem, thus switching your air cabin filter will not apply to you.

You are entitled to your own opinions. Just because you did not doubt my issues/solutions does not mean I don't have to be skeptical of yours.

Did you diagnose the issue yourself? How did you come to do conclusion it was your petals? What did your mechanic say?
How can I not be skeptical? I cannot see how changing the petal has any relevance to this problem. If you can enlighten me on how it did, please do.

Last edited by joeyfang1994; 05-02-2017 at 01:14 PM.
Old 05-02-2017, 01:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts
C63 coupe, Z3M Roadster garage queen
Originally Posted by jay rick
I have the same two problems you report but fixed different way.
first, the inoperative issue was fixed by changing the pedal.
second, the crayon smell actually comes from the carpet. I pulled the carpet up and without a doubt is comming there.

So are you saying thay the EC v6 fixed the problem? And your crayon smell are gone?
I had the same problem with limp mode - a little wheel spin in a tight corner and it was suddenly like driving a VW. Dealer replaced the pedal and the problem has never recurred.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...ensor-cel.html
Old 05-02-2017, 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 394 Likes on 272 Posts
2012 E550 Cabrio
I had the crayon smell. Turned out I ran over a garbage bag (actually I think a valet did) and while I got most of it off, the remainder took FOREVER to go away.

Crayon smell is anything of a plastic and/or wiring variety, or it can even be urea formaldehyde, which is the backing for carpets, foam in seats etc. Main ingredient in new car smell. It stops off-gassing after awhile and goes away.

Many possibilities in other words. None more crazy than the other.
Old 05-02-2017, 01:23 PM

2020GLC63
Don't think it smells like new car honestly since they are all different. Regardless i do agree its the leather/plastics or something else. Regardless its surprising no one has pin pointed exactly what it is to change or alter it. I'm at 50k miles and it still has that crayon smell. Maybe Merc dropped some crayon's somewhere for us to find
Old 05-02-2017, 02:05 PM

c63 2010
Originally Posted by brad65ford
Don't think it smells like new car honestly since they are all different. Regardless i do agree its the leather/plastics or something else. Regardless its surprising no one has pin pointed exactly what it is to change or alter it. I'm at 50k miles and it still has that crayon smell. Maybe Merc dropped some crayon's somewhere for us to find
my crayon smell has been completely eliminated after changing my air cabin filter. If this is the source, go under the glove box and take a whiff, is the smell stronger there?
Old 05-02-2017, 02:06 PM

2020GLC63
Mine seems to have lessened as well since i've changed that filter too.
Old 05-02-2017, 02:22 PM

c63 2010
Originally Posted by zcct04
I had the same problem with limp mode - a little wheel spin in a tight corner and it was suddenly like driving a VW. Dealer replaced the pedal and the problem has never recurred.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...ensor-cel.html
I've been hearing these solutions that dealers replacing petals fixed the problems. However I am still skeptical how it is RELEVANT. Relevant in terms of how a gas petal whose sole purpose is to pump fuel into the system, replacing the contraption can cause your computer to go into limp mode. Is there a chance dealers are flashing the ecu and diagnosing the problem as "petal problem"?

To fix this problem it will take ten minutes to fix, dealers may charge $400-600 to map and remap (estimate price), where as they can charge an astronomical price to fix a petal. This would make more sense to me.
If someone can mechanically explain how exactly how a petal can malfunction please do. If it was a sensor or anything else I would understand but a petal?
I need a logical explaination.
just my two cents
Old 05-02-2017, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 E550 Cabrio
Originally Posted by joeyfang1994
my crayon smell has been completely eliminated after changing my air cabin filter. If this is the source, go under the glove box and take a whiff, is the smell stronger there?
I would point out that the smell isnt coming FROM the cabin filter. Whats happening is your new filter is more effective at.......wait for it.......filtering. Its eliminating that smell. The smell prolly still exists, its just not getting into the cabin. For that reason I would try to figure out what it is, whether its something under the hood, or perhaps like me some plastic that has gotten on the exhaust. Can't hurt to look around and perhaps catch a bigger issue early.
Like smelling burnt toast before a stroke lol*

*no Im not laughing at strokes. No one needs to jump on me for this.
Old 05-02-2017, 03:08 PM

c63 2010
Originally Posted by 604 C63
I would point out that the smell isnt coming FROM the cabin filter. Whats happening is your new filter is more effective at.......wait for it.......filtering. Its eliminating that smell. The smell prolly still exists, its just not getting into the cabin. For that reason I would try to figure out what it is, whether its something under the hood, or perhaps like me some plastic that has gotten on the exhaust. Can't hurt to look around and perhaps catch a bigger issue early.
Like smelling burnt toast before a stroke lol*

*no Im not laughing at strokes. No one needs to jump on me for this.
The smell was coming directly from the cabin filter. The my ventilation system (AC and HEATER) no longer produces the musky crayon smell. It was very obvious, so obviously that I can certainly say the air cabin filter is the primary culprit for making my vehicle a crayola box.

EDIT: Oh I see what you mean, perhaps your right, I haven't had any tint of that crayon smell anymore, but we shall see if it comes back. But I couldn't help but feel that the smell was so strong from the air cabin filter that liquid inside was molding and had caught onto the filter. I hope the filter was problem... if it comes back then there must be something going on inside, maybe evaporator maybe more

Last edited by joeyfang1994; 05-02-2017 at 03:12 PM.
Old 05-02-2017, 03:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 E550 Cabrio

Last edited by 604 C63; 05-02-2017 at 03:29 PM.
Old 05-02-2017, 03:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,845 Likes on 1,678 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
You guys are spelling "Doritos" wrong. Just an FYI, that's normal.
Old 05-02-2017, 04:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts
C63 coupe, Z3M Roadster garage queen
Originally Posted by joeyfang1994
I've been hearing these solutions that dealers replacing petals fixed the problems. However I am still skeptical how it is RELEVANT. Relevant in terms of how a gas petal whose sole purpose is to pump fuel into the system, replacing the contraption can cause your computer to go into limp mode. Is there a chance dealers are flashing the ecu and diagnosing the problem as "petal problem"?

To fix this problem it will take ten minutes to fix, dealers may charge $400-600 to map and remap (estimate price), where as they can charge an astronomical price to fix a petal. This would make more sense to me.
If someone can mechanically explain how exactly how a petal can malfunction please do. If it was a sensor or anything else I would understand but a petal?
I need a logical explaination.
just my two cents
Petals are usually best fixed by florists . . .

What you've overlooked is that it IS a sensor problem. There's no wire connecting the gas pedal to the throttle body in your car. There's a sensor for pedal position that talks to the ECU which evaluates other parameters (such as wheelspin) and tells the throttle body what to do. Whenthe ECU thinks something is wrong, it is designed to put you into limp mode. Unfortunately, it apparently does the same when it gets a mixed signal from the throttle position sensor.

Dealer fixed this under warranty. I doubt that MBZ would let the dealers get away with this if it was an improper fix.