C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why you might want an MB roof rack even if you don't haul anything!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 11:27 AM

Received 84 Likes on 50 Posts
2012 Mercedes C63 AMG S
Originally Posted by 604 C63
EDIT: I'm going to retract that smart *** response.
You actually provided real information in response to a members question, and you shouldn't get heckled for that.
Thanks, 604 C63. IU appreciate that. But I also appreciated the humor in your edited-out posting, and will respond, without any hard feelings whatsoever because your comments WERE funny! Here we go:

But will your Harley fit on the roof with any of these systems?

Yes, but the required "ramp" would be a ***** to store and carry, and while the Mercedes roof engineering could possibly handle the Harley's 735 lb (with gas) weight, the roof rack itself is only rated for 200 lb MINUS the 15 lb weight of the rack! Plus, if we think Honda Civics with cut springs look dumb, imagine the catcalls I would get with a Harley on the roof!

Also, with the Harley on the roof, there goes the ability to look like a police car, right down the drain . . .

And how did the Rousch kit make your Mustang sound?

It was FANTASTIC! On startup, it woke the dead. On decel from 3000 rpm or so, it was a reasonable facsimile of sex. Idling in the underground garage, it sounded so good that even all the older (85 to 90 year old) retirees in my seniors-oriented condo building would come over (on their walkers or in their electric carts - I am the "impetuous youth" in this building at age 66) and tell me how GREAT it sounded! No kidding! Of course, my nationally famous tuner friend Micah Shoemaker told me that "Of course they like it. At their age, with their hearing, it's the only damn car they can hear at all!"

My wife thought that exhaust system amply demonstrated my innate immaturity ("Age 66 going on 16").

Jim G

Last edited by JimGnitecki; 05-08-2017 at 11:33 AM.
Old 05-08-2017, 11:56 AM

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
E-Class
MOVE GET OUT THE WAY

Old 05-08-2017, 11:59 AM

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
E-Class
I personally like roof racks. Its just armor for me. Some vehicles look great with it, some don't. On a c63? I'll pass, on a subaru, maybe...
Old 05-08-2017, 12:05 PM

2012 Mercedes C63 AMG S
Originally Posted by sakodik
I personally like roof racks. Its just armor for me. Some vehicles look great with it, some don't. On a c63? I'll pass, on a subaru, maybe...
Seriously, I have to keep reminding people: A roof rack like the MB one does NOT remain on the car ALL the time!! Since it installs and removes in a couple of minutes, and leaves no evidence when removed, you only put it on when you actually need to haul something!

THAT is how I intend to use mine, for example. Once I buy the canoe, I will I'm sure only be hauling it on the car's roof maybe a couple times a month.

On the Subaru, I believe the Subaru comes with NON-removable, always present and visible basic siderails from the factory. That's a completely different situation.

Remember, this thread was intended only for HUMOR. I posted entirely separate a roof rack thread that seriously shows how the MB rack works, and how it coordinates with both MB rack accessories and Thule accessories.

Jim G
Old 05-08-2017, 02:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts
C63 coupe, Z3M Roadster garage queen
Originally Posted by JimGnitecki

I'm evidently one of the outliers here but the OP's photo made me grin, so kudos for bringing a little humor to our forum. If you could stick some red and blue lights on the front of the bar that you could manually flash, you would OWN the left lane.

I'm kinda wishing mine was white . . .
Old 05-08-2017, 02:18 PM

2012 Mercedes C63 AMG S
Originally Posted by zcct04
I'm evidently one of the outliers here but the OP's photo made me grin, so kudos for bringing a little humor to our forum. If you could stick some red and blue lights on the front of the bar that you could manually flash, you would OWN the left lane.

I'm kinda wishing mine was white . . .
Well, there's always a white WRAP . . .

Seriously, my paramedic / firefighter son has a black Camaro that he is authorized to use a light bar in when respondig to a fire call. He tells me that cars in front of him get outa his way RIGHT NOW when he turns on the lights, because they assume he is an unmarked police unit.

Women seem to think it's sexy too, even with the lights OFF.

Naturally he never uses the lights except when on a fire call . . .

Jim G
Old 05-08-2017, 05:21 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
2013 C63 Coupe
Originally Posted by betrezra
Jim - thanks for posting up! It's a free internet, so post up what you like. I presume by your posts.... that you are not too worried about what others think.... and that more than your posts has my respect. f-em if they can't take a joke
Seriously dude... By some of the responses I've seen since I signed up, one would think that the users had to pay for mbembership lolol! Talk of cluttering the forums with threads that have "already been answered" or 'useless' opinion posts. Honestly, the vibe you get from some of the users on here is just plain depressive... As unfortunate as it may seem, people will continue to buy the car and keep joining the site. This, in case you haven't noticed, will bring new-comers that have questions... Instead of linking an old post and adding some completely useless comment that antagonizes and generalizes a certain demographic of people. Maybe just try linking? I GENUINELY have no idea why there's so much angst if someone new has a question that may have been answered...

On a side note, let's talk about those links quickly... Personally, after I signed up, I scoured the first couple of pages to see what the community was like. After literally 15 minutes, I realized most of these guys are always angry at something... redundancy. But, I kind of feel as if it's hypocritical. When someone has a question that has been discussed, somebody will usually post a few links with an *******-y comment... Half the time, the question never gets answered!!! Why perpetuate useless threads and prohibit any new discussion from taking place? For example, I wanted to see what shock set up people were running with H&R springs... one of the links someone recommended literally just turned into a post where 5-6 people just said buy my used shocks.... Oh but guess what? God forbid I start a thread about it... Lol I'd be ostracized so fast!! LOL And another thing, how useful is it to link someone to a thread from 2010? It's been almost a decade and you're telling me nothing's changed since then? I just don't see the point.

Last edited by Nando_514; 05-08-2017 at 05:26 PM.
Old 05-08-2017, 05:45 PM

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts
2012 C63, 2014 E550
Agreed with above posters. Jim is doin a service to this community. And he's getting chastised for it
Old 05-08-2017, 05:53 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Too Many To List
I think a roof rack looks good and it's practical. We need more fitment images of various products so we can make informed decisions.
Old 05-08-2017, 05:58 PM

2013 C63 Coupe
Originally Posted by NotABaller
Agreed with above posters. Jim is doin a service to this community. And he's getting chastised for it
It's unfortunate... Look, there's a thread on here that is the epitome of what's being discussed. It's the M156 Problem thread. This guy had a legitimate question about what are the typical issues with the M156. He get flogged with like 10 posts essentially saying, 'It's not that hard... Why didn't you search up head bolts? Why didn't you search up PCV valve? I used keywords PCV and head bolts and found the threads... You didn't look...' Well no duh LOL?! The guy needs to know the problems FIRST before he can start doing some reasearch of his own. You seriously can't expect someone to just KNOW there's an issue with the PCV valve... Hell, I had no idea there was a PCV issue until that thread. I thought I had searched and found all the common issues lol

Last edited by Nando_514; 05-08-2017 at 06:00 PM.
Old 05-08-2017, 06:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
Having participated in these internet enthusiast forums of different types since they started..... I see a pattern where a group of OG's forms..... with a single Alpha type or two rise up..... forming the persona of the place.... the unwritten rules.... this OG pack high fives over the inner circle jokes, events they attend.... share the pics.... and show the masses how the cool kids roll..... taken to an extreme the cool kids work with the vendors to get cool kid deals.... the vendor pimp their wares, the cool kids get the special deals.... but they have to post up how great the stuff is...... and there you have it a modern day enthusiast site! Wahmmo! The fun starts when the next wave of "newbs" roll in.... to recieve the hazing...... that ranges from 1) socio-economic....."these lower class newbs couldn't have afforded to buy a new one like us...."....... 2) knowledge level bashing...... "these newbs don't have a clue".... ..... etc..... and so it goes.

The good news is.... I've seen places much worse..... there are some cool people here.

Last edited by betrezra; 05-08-2017 at 06:41 PM.
Old 05-08-2017, 06:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 382 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
^^^ deep analysis and spot on...
Old 05-08-2017, 06:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 393 Likes on 272 Posts
2012 E550 Cabrio
Yes, there has been too much bickering here.
But at the same time.....is it not ironic that this discussion is taking place in a thread titled:

"Why you might want an MB roof rack even if you don't haul anything!" about the way a roof rack makes a C63 look like a cop car.

Seriously, let's not pretend this is elevating the level of our discussion.
And lets not act like anyone is above the sniping. Read my signature.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:03 PM

2013 C63 Coupe
Originally Posted by 604 C63
Yes, there has been too much bickering here.
But at the same time.....is it not ironic that this discussion is taking place in a thread titled:

"Why you might want an MB roof rack even if you don't haul anything!" about the way a roof rack makes a C63 look like a cop car.

Seriously, let's not pretend this is elevating the level of our discussion.
And lets not act like anyone is above the sniping. Read my signature.
Hey, it's where the thread took us!

No but seriously, what you said is true. No one should be above the occasional hazing online. But at the end of the day, we're all here because of a common denominator. If you have to repeat yourself from a post you made 6 years ago, it shouldn't be that BIG of a deal. They say you learn through repetition lolol

Last edited by Nando_514; 05-08-2017 at 07:15 PM.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:15 PM
IGB

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
'08 C300 MM Pano
Not that my opinion should impact yours in any way, but I approve of this message:

Originally Posted by BadCompany
There are some guys that track their Lotuses that have hitches and tow a small trailer with tools and spare tires and stuff. After being around car forums since 2001, you learn that nothing is a surprise or sacred and it is the same on every forum, no matter the manufacturer.
But not with this one...

I don't mind a few naive or silly posts and even some dad-jokes (I am a father too after all)... But, all these posts about roof racks or hauling crap on top of a C63 make me cringe. Just buy a $4,000 beater SUV and stop crushing the soul of your AMG. Or just buy another Mustang with a catback exhaust and put a rack on that.
In fact ^^this^^ one makes you sound uppity and pretentious (not that you are)...

I think to each his own... But more importantly than what "I" think, the manufacturer who designed and built the car also supports those who might be so inclined to install a roof rack... After all, if they did not, there would be no place to mount such roof rack on an AMG...
Old 05-08-2017, 07:27 PM

2012 Mercedes C63 AMG S
Originally Posted by IGB

. . .

But more importantly than what "I" think, the manufacturer who designed and built the car also supports those who might be so inclined to install a roof rack... After all, if they did not, there would be no place to mount such roof rack on an AMG...
And on the C63, seriously, the rack mounting provisions are SPECTACULARLY good:

- They are hidden when not in use, and yet very quickly accessible -and without tools even!

- They allow install and un-install so quickly that you never have to keep the rack on the car when not actually using it

- They are incredibly strong compared to the mounting provisions on most other cars

- They are at the ideal maximum distance apart along the axis of the car that Thule recommends for crossbars, which makes them absolutely PERFECT for handling items that are wider in the middle (like a canoe), so that you can haul a canoe that is technically wider than the width of aerobars

I tell you guys, the engineering on this car in general is spectacular for a consumer grade product, although a little complex which makes repairs and replacements costly. And this rack mounting setup and the smart partnering with Thule is particularly good. If you need to haul something other than ***, this car is set up for it!

Jim G
Old 05-08-2017, 07:43 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
2014 C63 AMG Edition 507 coupe
Originally Posted by IGB

In fact ^^this^^ one makes you sound uppity and pretentious (not that you are)...

I think to each his own... But more importantly than what "I" think, the manufacturer who designed and built the car also supports those who might be so inclined to install a roof rack... After all, if they did not, there would be no place to mount such roof rack on an AMG...
No offense taken. I can be a bit elitist sometimes (not that its a good thing). hahaha My problem with what you said is it seems to assume I have to be okay with what Jim does and if I'm not, I shouldn't post my opinion (i.e., "it makes me cringe"). It does make me cringe regardless of whether it was designed to allow it or not. As has been pointed out a millions times, this is a public forum that thrives on opinion - also why Jim is free to post whatever he wants and be as difficult as he wants. I stated my opinion too. If you don't agree, you can tell me you don't agree like you did. I'm okay with that. I'm okay with people verbally or in writing expressing opinions contrary to my own. I don't hold it against you. I'm an attorney - you have to have incredibly thick skin. The part about the Mustang was just me giving Jim a hard time (there are no hard feelings between us).
Old 05-08-2017, 07:46 PM

2012 Mercedes C63 AMG S

. . .

The part about the Mustang was just me giving Jim a hard time (there are no hard feelings between us).
Just so everyone know, what BadCompany said above is absolutely true. We had a nice PM conversation and I have no issue with him.

Jim G
Old 05-08-2017, 07:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 E550 Cabrio
Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
Just so everyone know, what BadCompany said above is absolutely true. We had a nice PM conversation and I have no issue with him.

Jim G
OK just so every body knows, BadCompany has JimGnitecki's approval. Jim has no issues with him and he is on the approved, "safe to communicate with" list.

Congratulations, BadCompany, on earning the BigJim seal of approval.

Last edited by 604 C63; 05-08-2017 at 07:59 PM.
Old 05-08-2017, 08:00 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
2014 C63 AMG Edition 507 coupe
604 C63 - Leave me out of this. I'm trying to extricate myself from all these threads.
Old 05-08-2017, 08:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
Group hug!
Old 05-08-2017, 08:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 E550 Cabrio
Fair enough. Not my intent.

My point remains.

Hope I can find a hat to fit it. (One of my sons fave jokes)
The following users liked this post:
BadCompany (05-08-2017)
Old 05-08-2017, 10:33 PM

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
2017 911, 2012 C63
If we all just stop posting entirely, we can have even more room for the next new vendor pitching their crap wheels with pics of them mounted on BMWs!

Oh, and the racks look awesome on blue C63's too. I'll post a pic and start a new thread next winter.
Old 05-09-2017, 05:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
funny stuff computert OM.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts
NB8 PARACHUTE
`

Originally Posted by betrezra
Having participated in these internet enthusiast forums of different types since they started..... I see a pattern where a group of OG's forms..... with a single Alpha type or two rise up..... forming the persona of the place.... the unwritten rules.... this OG pack high fives over the inner circle jokes, events they attend.... share the pics.... and show the masses how the cool kids roll..... taken to an extreme the cool kids work with the vendors to get cool kid deals.... the vendor pimp their wares, the cool kids get the special deals.... but they have to post up how great the stuff is...... and there you have it a modern day enthusiast site! Wahmmo! The fun starts when the next wave of "newbs" roll in.... to recieve the hazing...... that ranges from 1) socio-economic....."these lower class newbs couldn't have afforded to buy a new one like us...."....... 2) knowledge level bashing...... "these newbs don't have a clue".... ..... etc..... and so it goes.

The good news is.... I've seen places much worse..... there are some cool people here.

A must read

Thank-You
D.B.

`
The following users liked this post:
betrezra (05-09-2017)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Why you might want an MB roof rack even if you don't haul anything!