C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why you might want an MB roof rack even if you don't haul anything!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 03:53 PM

Received 83 Likes on 49 Posts
2012 Mercedes C63 AMG S
Why you might want an MB roof rack even if you don't haul anything!

Look at this photo:

Why you might want an MB roof rack even if you don't haul anything!-8-20roof-20rack-20-20looks-20like-20police-20car_zpspwe4oojk.jpg

Looks just like a police car!!

Imagine how quickly cars in front of you will move out of your lane if they see this in their rear view mirror - especially at night!

Naturally, this works best with a WHITE C63 with the panorama roof.

The darkly tinted panorama roof and black front roof panel enhance the effect!

Jim G

Last edited by JimGnitecki; 05-07-2017 at 09:06 PM.
Old 05-06-2017, 04:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,827 Likes on 1,670 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
In before the third roof rack thread
Old 05-06-2017, 04:33 PM

2012 Mercedes C63 AMG S
Originally Posted by JimGnitecki

Jim G
This photo also made me realize how TINY our C63 is compared to a typical modern crossover (the copper colored goliath beside my C63 in the photo).

I knew the C63 was no longer, no wider, and almost also no higher than a Mustang GT, but I had not realized how small it muts look on the street in traffic.

Jim G
Old 05-06-2017, 04:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,587 Likes on 935 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
The following users liked this post:
BLKROKT (05-06-2017)
Old 05-06-2017, 04:42 PM

2012 Mercedes C63 AMG S
Originally Posted by Jasonoff
A little humor is a problem?

Also, YOU might find both observations not useful, but others might appreciate it.

Jim G
Old 05-06-2017, 04:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 74 Posts
E55 AMG & C63 AMG
Car looks good with the roof rack.
Old 05-06-2017, 06:16 PM

Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts
2015 C63s Sedan
Man, this forum is going.......... to ****
Old 05-06-2017, 07:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 AMG
A little humor is a problem?
I thought the meme was hilarious...
Old 05-06-2017, 07:19 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
2014 C63 AMG Edition 507 coupe
I don't mind a few naive or silly posts and even some dad-jokes (I am a father too after all)... But, all these posts about roof racks or hauling crap on top of a C63 make me cringe. Just buy a $4,000 beater SUV and stop crushing the soul of your AMG. Or just buy another Mustang with a catback exhaust and put a rack on that.
Old 05-06-2017, 07:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 146 Likes on 111 Posts
2012 c63 AMG, 2011 GLK 350, 2019 GLS 450
Looks terrible! This car does not deserve a roof rack please stop. Just waiting for the next one....trailer hitch on c63
Old 05-06-2017, 08:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by AMGonFire
Looks terrible! This car does not deserve a roof rack please stop. Just waiting for the next one....trailer hitch on c63
Stick around here long enough, and you'll see everything....
https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...al-thread.html
Old 05-06-2017, 08:20 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
2014 C63 AMG Edition 507 coupe
There are some guys that track their Lotuses that have hitches and tow a small trailer with tools and spare tires and stuff. After being around car forums since 2001, you learn that nothing is a surprise or sacred and it is the same on every forum, no matter the manufacturer.
Old 05-06-2017, 08:37 PM

2012 Mercedes C63 AMG S
Just in case some readers don't know, the MB roof racks go on and come off the car in about 2 minutes or less once they have been properly set up ONCE. So of course, you do NOT leave them on "permanently". Unless you like the simulated "lightbar" look.

For example, I plan to mount mine only when actually hauling a canoe.

So, if anyone is visually offended, don't worry. It's not a "permanent mod".

Jim G
Old 05-07-2017, 09:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 AMG
I plan to mount mine only when actually hauling a canoe.

10 says you came to that decision after getting trashed in this thread.
Old 05-07-2017, 10:01 AM

2012 Mercedes C63 AMG S
Originally Posted by Jasonoff
10 says you came to that decision after getting trashed in this thread.
Seriously?? Wow. I guess not many guys on here have a sense of humor . . .

Jim G
Old 05-07-2017, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Seriously?? Wow. I guess not many guys on here have a sense of humor . . .

Jim G
I think people here have a great sense of humor generally.

The rub, however, is probably with the proliferation of multiple threads on the same topic, and/or your thoughts on things which have already been discussed ad nauseum. The platform is a decade old at this point, and most members seem to contribute to existing threads, consolidating information for the benefit of the community, rather than create new ones every time a thought pops into their head ostensibly only to get attention. There are a lot of those types here, who think they are entitled to personalized treatment to pad their own little delicate egos.

I personally think that it's great that you're excited about your car, and that you can bring a lot to this community as we're used to getting wannabes and outright retards these days. However, I think that your forum etiquette, ability to search and find the right threads to contribute to, and listening skills all leave a lot to be desired. That's all. I know I have things to improve on here too, and it's only from feedback that any of us can do so.

This isn't MY forum, so take my feedback or leave it and keep doing whatever you want. But I'm trying to give you some friendly advice - because you seem like a good guy who could contribute in a meaningful way here. Who knows, you might make more friends around here, and/or not to just have people either skip over your content or **** all over your posts, which is what seems to be starting to happen....

Last edited by BLKROKT; 05-07-2017 at 10:25 AM.
Old 05-07-2017, 10:25 AM

2012 Mercedes C63 AMG S
Originally Posted by BLKROKT

The rub, however, is probably with the proliferation of multiple threads on the same topic, and/or your thoughts on things which have already been discussed ad nauseum. The platform is a decade old at this point, and most members seem to contribute to existing threads, consolidating information for the benefit of the community, rather than create new ones every time a thought pops into their head ostensibly only to get attention. There are a lot of those types here, who think they are entitled to personalized treatment to pad their own little delicate egos.

I personally think that it's great that you're excited, and that you can bring a lot to this community as we're used to getting wannabes and outright retards these days. However, I think that your forum etiquette, ability to search and find the right threads to contribute to, and listening skills all leave a lot to be desired. That's all.

Not MY forum, so take it or leave it and keep doing whatever you want. But I'm trying to give you some friendly advice - because you seem like a good guy who could contribute in a meaningful way here - so you might make more friends around here, and/or not to just have people either skip over your content or **** all over your posts, which is what seems to be starting to happen....
Thanks. I appreciate the advice. I'll alter my approach.

Jim G
Old 05-07-2017, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
Just in case some readers don't know, the MB roof racks go on and come off the car in about 2 minutes or less once they have been properly set up ONCE. So of course, you do NOT leave them on "permanently". Unless you like the simulated "lightbar" look.

For example, I plan to mount mine only when actually hauling a canoe.

Jim G
Don't mind the naysayers Jim! You should use your car as you see fit. If it makes you feel any better, I use my c63 for my home depot runs. I bought a roof rack just to haul large things when I can't fit it into the car. It's a special car, but at the end of the day, it's just a car. #NOSHYTSGIVEN. i don't always feel like driving my fullsize pickup truck in the city.
Old 05-07-2017, 03:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 393 Likes on 272 Posts
2012 E550 Cabrio
Originally Posted by BLKROKT

I personally think that it's great that you're excited about your car, and that you can bring a lot to this community as we're used to getting wannabes and outright retards these days. However, I think that your forum etiquette, ability to search and find the right threads to contribute to, and listening skills all leave a lot to be desired. That's all. I know I have things to improve on here too, and it's only from feedback that any of us can do so.

This isn't MY forum, so take my feedback or leave it and keep doing whatever you want. But I'm trying to give you some friendly advice - because you seem like a good guy who could contribute in a meaningful way here. Who knows, you might make more friends around here, and/or not to just have people either skip over your content or **** all over your posts, which is what seems to be starting to happen....

Old 05-07-2017, 03:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 E550 Cabrio
Seriously though, that was very well said. I knew you could do it!!!
Old 05-07-2017, 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
Jim - thanks for posting up! It's a free internet, so post up what you like. I presume by your posts.... that you are not too worried about what others think.... and that more than your posts has my respect. f-em if they can't take a joke

Having recently purchased an old tired M3.... I've spent the past couple of months on that forum with my modest build-up track car...... and I've got to say this MB forum is way more tolerant of using bandwidth for anything/everything MB related..... vs the stock-leaning, prudes in the other camp...... I've never seen so many people so obsessive about keeping an $8000 1990's M3 "pure" stock......

Keep on posting on sir.

And yes I could mistake that for a the police (if) I were to speed
Old 05-07-2017, 09:05 PM

2012 Mercedes C63 AMG S
Originally Posted by betrezra
Jim - thanks for posting up! It's a free internet, so post up what you like. I presume by your posts.... that you are not too worried about what others think.... and that more than your posts has my respect. f-em if they can't take a joke

Having recently purchased an old tired M3.... I've spent the past couple of months on that forum with my modest build-up track car...... and I've got to say this MB forum is way more tolerant of using bandwidth for anything/everything MB related..... vs the stock-leaning, prudes in the other camp...... I've never seen so many people so obsessive about keeping an $8000 1990's M3 "pure" stock......

Keep on posting on sir.

And yes I could mistake that for a the police (if) I were to speed
Thanks for the leeway, betrezra. If I can't ever do humor at a gathering, I feel stifled! Life is too short to have a stick up your butt all the time.

And as for conforming to "standards" made up by self-appointed Hall Monitors, I have no respect for that at all.

Heck, right now, I am axctively planning to violate another standard in another setting altogether: Recently, I moved my family to Vancouver Island. Vancouver Island has so miuch oean and so many lakes that it just makes sense to get a boat, kayak, or canoe. I decided on a canoe for multiple reasons, but I strongly prefer the kayak paddles versus the canoe paddles. Why? Because kayak paddles, being TWO-bladed (2 paddles with a long shaft between them), allow you to both go faster and easier, and not have to change paddling sides from left and right and back in order to keep the damn canoe going in a straight line instead of in circles! But apparently, this is a serious violation of canoe tradition, so the self-appointed hall monitors say "you don't do that".

However, it turns out that the REAL experts on canoeing say it is a smart thing to do in every setting outside of possibly white water river running or manouvering through a tight creek or marsh. So, the hall monitors are just going to have to tolerate me using a kayak paddle, and will need to avert their eyes. I'll try to make it easier for them by using a dark carbon fiber paddle versus a gaudy yellow wooden one, so maybe if they look casually, they will miss my faux pas.

Jim G
Old 05-08-2017, 06:27 AM

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts
2009 C63 P30, 2008 Grand Cherokee SRT8(RIP)
Question,

Do they sell the roof rack as a kit ONLY or can you get the mounts separately? .....and if so does anyone have the part numbers?
(Found 2 different part numbers BUT when I run them through they show it is for the whole assembly)
Old 05-08-2017, 10:08 AM

2012 Mercedes C63 AMG S
Originally Posted by jptaylor
Question,

Do they sell the roof rack as a kit ONLY or can you get the mounts separately? .....and if so does anyone have the part numbers?
(Found 2 different part numbers BUT when I run them through they show it is for the whole assembly)
JP, I am pretty sure that MB sells the entire "base kit" only. It consists of the 4 lockable towers, the 2 aeroshaped crossbars, the rubber strips for the 2 crossbars (which protect your crossbars and your cargo from scratching each other), and an "L" hex wrench to loosen and tighten the 4 bolts that secure each crossbar to the towers and allow you to adjust the "effective" crossbar length to your specific car exactly.

You CAN buy only the towers from any Thule dealer. However, there is a big disadvantage with the Thule-branded towers: they do contact the roof paint. Evidently, Mercedes had Thule make this specific no-paint-contact alteration when they made the "private label" deal.

Also, this is an important point: You NEED the entire kit to do anything useful. ALL the MB-branded and Thule-branded "accessory kits" that enable hauling things like canoes, paddleboards, bicycles, surfboards, and cargo boxes, all require the entire "basic kit" as a foundation to which you add these individual accessory kits. This is also true for the Yakima and other brands - they all assume a basic kit underneath an accessory kit.

Also, note that there are 2 or 3 different Thule-branded shapes of crossbars, varying from "square" cross-section to "aero" and perhaps more (I did not pursue this avenue so did not pay close attention). SOME accessories will fit ANY shape, while others will only fit a specific shape. Some accessories will fit any shape, but can be made more firmly mounted by utilizing a feature of the type of crossbars chosen. For example, my "Portage" pn819 canoe kit can fit either the square or aero bar when using the "clamp" kit provided with it, but if you buy the optional inexpensive "T-slot" adaptor kit, you can discard the clamps and fasten the 4 canoe restraint pieces directly to the aerobars which have T-slots in them. This makes for connections that are both more rigid and also consume less space. One advantage of "more space" is that you can probably still open and RAISE the sunroof portion of the Panorama roof.

I posted a separate thread on the roof rack, which is serious versus humorous, and it has a number of photos in it.Once you examine those photos and the text of that thread, you will better understand the overall MB / Thule rack system.

Jim G
Old 05-08-2017, 10:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 E550 Cabrio
EDIT: I'm going to retract that smart *** response.
You actually provided real information in response to a members question, and you shouldn't get heckled for that.

Last edited by 604 C63; 05-08-2017 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Snideness

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Why you might want an MB roof rack even if you don't haul anything!