Sponsored by:

Steering dead spot on center

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 01:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 C63
Steering dead spot on center

I had KW V3's installed couple of weeks back by Auto Talent (Great experience & Great service BTW) the car is stiffer and handles sharper but i noticed the steering has a dead spot right on center, do I just need to do an alignment or should I inspect / replace my end links?
Old 05-19-2017, 08:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 434 Likes on 357 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
If you have the ride height set where you want it, then get an alignment and go from there. You might want to get it corner balanced as well. No facility to do that locally and therefore I have no experience with it but it might help to get the corner weights balanced. Probably not much point for me as I will always be playing around with the ride heights.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:57 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
2013 C63 Coupe
How big of a "dead spot" are we talking?

I agree with the corner balancing comment... Anytime I've installed coilovers, I've gone to a shop by me, to put the car on scales and balance it. Throw in some adjustable endlinks and you'll be set! However, I'm under the assumption that the shop you took it to AT LEAST made the car "look" level before they handed you the keys. With that being said, I don't that would contribute to your "dead spot."

Do you think you can make a video or take a picture of the steering wheel and use MS paint to show how far the dead spot is happening when you turn the wheel?

Last edited by Nando_514; 05-19-2017 at 10:02 AM.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 C63
Originally Posted by Nando_514
How big of a "dead spot" are we talking?

I agree with the corner balancing comment... Anytime I've installed coilovers, I've gone to a shop by me, to put the car on scales and balance it. Throw in some adjustable endlinks and you'll be set! However, I'm under the assumption that the shop you took it to AT LEAST made the car "look" level before they handed you the keys. With that being said, I don't that would contribute to your "dead spot."

Do you think you can make a video or take a picture of the steering wheel and use MS paint to show how far the dead spot is happening when you turn the wheel?
It's a very slight on center but enough that I can feel it, besides that the car feels a lot sharper then stock. I'll try to upload a video or picture later since it's not my daily.
I'll have it corner balanced and aligned first and see if it solves the issue.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:50 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
2013 C63 Coupe
Originally Posted by KatchC63
It's a very slight on center but enough that I can feel it, besides that the car feels a lot sharper then stock. I'll try to upload a video or picture later since it's not my daily.
I'll have it corner balanced and aligned first and see if it solves the issue.
Oh! You're not even aligned yet?! Lol yeah do that then update this thread afterward if you're still having problems. I'd say that's your best bet