C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Power steering issue after track session

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 04:12 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2012 c63
Power steering issue after track session

So I had to end the track day early today because I have a weird sound coming from the power steering unit (maybe pump?), here is what happened:

So, I finished my first 30min session and boiled my power steering fluid and was leaking out from under the car, so just tied a rag around the cap before the next session.

During the second session I starting noticing a whine coming from the engine. It was very similar to a supercharger whine which i thought was and ignored it thinking perhaps it was just something the supercharger does under heavy load. After the second session, I pulled into the pits and when I was trying to park my car the steering felt a lot heavier than usual (not sure if I completely lost power steering or not). Found power steering fluid dripping under the car again, and when I opened the hood the rag was completely soak through. But I restarted the car and power steering works completely fine. Power steering fluid is about 1/3rd above the min line.

The issue is, now I have the same whine I heard on while on the track and is constant. It also get louder when the rpm is higher (which is why i think it might be the pump). On top of the whine I also get this noise when I'm turning the wheel, tested by moving the steering wheel from side to side stationary. At the right steering angle it would sometimes rattle. It get especially loud when slowing down to a stop and especially loud from low speed turning. FYI, I didn't track after the second session to be safe.

I just drove an hour back home, whine is still there and power steering has no issues. Any ideas? I'll try and get a video of the sound.

Last edited by Cli63; 05-21-2017 at 04:24 PM.
Old 05-21-2017, 04:33 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2012 c63
http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=33wy...9#.WSH5MGgrJEY

This is the sound from me moving the wheel side to side in the garage.
Old 05-21-2017, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 680 Likes on 465 Posts
12 C63BS Magno Alanite Grey, 22 X3M Brooklyn Grey, 08 BMW E93, 22 Ducati Desert Sled, John Deere 3R
I have luck on a couple BMW's just swapping out the fluid to get rid of the power steering pump whine, not sure it will help or not, the pump is a bit of a week point on these cars for sure and everyone boils their PS at the track it seems.

If you do decide to change the fluid, it is simple, just get a turkey baster, remove all the fluid from the reservoir and then add new. Start car and cycle the steering lock to lock a few times, then shut it off and empty and fill the reservoir again - usually I do it 3 times and that gets a good amount of new fluid in the system.

Also, since you have a Magnusen blower - the power steering reservoir is relocated and made by them, do you know if it holds the same amount and has the same amount of empty space, it looks pretty small although so is stock, certainly the more fluid the longer it takes to overheat it - I have seen M3 guys melt aftermarket caps the fluid gets so hot at the track!

Last edited by roadkillrob; 05-21-2017 at 05:35 PM.