C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best way to handle this road-rash scratch?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 07:38 PM

Received 83 Likes on 49 Posts
2012 Mercedes C63 AMG S
Originally Posted by Yash Dattani
Go to MB if you don't have the correct touch up paint and grab a paint correction set for your specific paint, you can scout around online if you want a cheaper option. Sometimes they'll even do the touch ups for you if you buy the paint from the MB dealership. If you're doing it yourself, shotgun a couple beers, watch a couple videos and then apply the paint, let it dry for a day, wax and buff the car following and call it.
Thanks. I do have the correct MB touchup paint coming. When you say they'll even do the touchups for you if you buy the paint from the MB dealership, do you mean for free or do they charge for it (I imagine they would charge for it). But even if they charge for it, I suppose having someone at least experienced in the technique should produce a better result. It's a decent question for me to ask my dealer when the paint arrives.

Jim G
Old 05-30-2017, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 AMG EDITION 1, CLA45 AMG STAGE 3
I got a couple knicks and a scratch on my 2016 CLA45 and when I brought it in for some routine service (all included for free under warranty) I purchased paint and asked if they could do the touchups for me, they did them decently and then cleaned the car all for free. I haven't tried it on my C63 though.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:51 PM

2012 Mercedes C63 AMG S
Originally Posted by Yash Dattani
I got a couple knicks and a scratch on my 2016 CLA45 and when I brought it in for some routine service (all included for free under warranty) I purchased paint and asked if they could do the touchups for me, they did them decently and then cleaned the car all for free. I haven't tried it on my C63 though.
Well then I should at least ask my dealer!

Jim G
Old 05-30-2017, 10:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 393 Likes on 272 Posts
2012 E550 Cabrio
Originally Posted by Jake215
From the picture it actually doesn't look so bad. Honestly try polishing it and if that doesn't work just leave it be. Matching diamond white is a giant pain in the ***.
Boom. Winner winner chicken dinner.
Old 05-30-2017, 11:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts
C63 AMG P30 *EuroCharged*| Porsche Cayenne | Buell XB9SX
Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
Thanks, Maximus. I like the minimalist approach you describe, which would avoid the undesirable "enlargement" of the scratch that results from trying to "cover" it versus "filling" it. Do I hold the toothpick mostly vertically or do I hold it somewhat at a reduced vertical angle from horizontal so that I can better prevent a "blob"?

The Google instructions I found, after I filtered out the ridiculous "sand it first" instructions (and thus enlarge it which seems counterproductive) mention the toothpick method, but don't realyl describe the actual technique. I realize the goal is to clean the scratch of wax and other contaminants, and then FILL the scratch, but the key appears to be controlling how fast and how much paint you let flow into the scratch.

Jim G
Only put a little paint on the toothpick, not a glob. The capillary action will pull the paint from the toothpick into the scratch and fill it. You need patience, though, as it takes multiple coats. It is like when you fill in wood floor scratches with a sharpie marker, with a dab dab motion versus strokes. Also, you can always wipe the paint off with some alcohol before it dries if you mess up. Hope that helps.
Old 05-31-2017, 12:19 AM

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
2020 C300 Sedan
Thanks, Maximus. I like the minimalist approach you describe, which would avoid the undesirable "enlargement" of the scratch that results from trying to "cover" it versus "filling" it. Do I hold the toothpick mostly vertically or do I hold it somewhat at a reduced vertical angle from horizontal so that I can better prevent a "blob"?

The Google instructions I found, after I filtered out the ridiculous "sand it first" instructions (and thus enlarge it which seems counterproductive) mention the toothpick method, but don't realyl describe the actual technique. I realize the goal is to clean the scratch of wax and other contaminants, and then FILL the scratch, but the key appears to be controlling how fast and how much paint you let flow into the scratch.

Jim G
Buy the kit from Dr Colorchip. I found that their product is better than the paint from the dealer and this comes in a kit that allows you to actually use more paint then you need to fill it and then they provide a solution to wipe off the excess. You can Google their videos and it tells you how to use their kits.
Old 05-31-2017, 01:13 AM

2012 Mercedes C63 AMG S
Originally Posted by m a x i m u s
Only put a little paint on the toothpick, not a glob. The capillary action will pull the paint from the toothpick into the scratch and fill it. You need patience, though, as it takes multiple coats. It is like when you fill in wood floor scratches with a sharpie marker, with a dab dab motion versus strokes. Also, you can always wipe the paint off with some alcohol before it dries if you mess up. Hope that helps.
That helps a LOT,Maximus. Thank-you.

Jim G
Old 05-31-2017, 01:14 AM

2012 Mercedes C63 AMG S
Originally Posted by Dstopsie
Buy the kit from Dr Colorchip. I found that their product is better than the paint from the dealer and this comes in a kit that allows you to actually use more paint then you need to fill it and then they provide a solution to wipe off the excess. You can Google their videos and it tells you how to use their kits.
I did start looking at their website, and saved the URL for a more detailed look tomorrow.

Jim G
Old 05-31-2017, 01:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
2013 C63 AMG P31, 2014 GMC Sierra (6.2)
Originally Posted by Dstopsie
+1 for Dr Colorchip. Have used it on a few occasions with several different vehicles...
Old 05-31-2017, 02:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts
C63 AMG P30 *EuroCharged*| Porsche Cayenne | Buell XB9SX
Originally Posted by wawy
+1 for Dr Colorchip. Have used it on a few occasions with several different vehicles...
I have never used Dr. Colorchip, but sounds like a more efficient and easier version of my toothpick method.
Old 05-31-2017, 05:15 AM

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
2020 C300 Sedan
You should also try Scratch X 2.0 by Meguiars. That can help reduce the size of the scratch.
Old 05-31-2017, 10:08 AM

2012 Mercedes C63 AMG S
Sounds like the Dr.Colorchip solution gets a lot of "yes" votes. Thanks, guys.

Jim G
Old 05-31-2017, 10:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 399 Likes on 277 Posts
'13 C63 AMG P31
In all honesty, Dr. Colorchip is pretty good, just need patience. If you have the same color wheels, can even do touch ups on them.
Old 06-14-2017, 11:31 PM

2012 Mercedes C63 AMG S
I mentioned the scratch to a salesperson at the local MB dealership, and he brought over a gal that had until recently worked at their detail shop. she told me it was too deep for a non-pro to handle (must have been a BIG stone that got kicked up), but said that she thought their detail shop could handle it for little or no cost, as it takes mainly experience versus time.

The service writer made an appointment for me with the detail shop, and the shop worked on it for a couple of hours, and then brought the car back to me, and told me that they had managed to fill and dry the scratch with multiple layers of paint, that it still looked unacceptable but that i needed to simply wait a week and then bring it back for the final touches.

i did so today, and they took it for another 1-1/2 hours, and then returned it to me, telling me they had done the best that could be done without refinishing the entire door which would be ridiculous.

Here is how it looks now:

Best way to handle this road-rash scratch?-img_2604_zpsqqooaupf.jpg

Barely discernible unless you REaLLY "look for it".

When i found a suitable outdoor location where the combination of sunlight and viewing angle was just right (worst), it shows, but only when you know to look that low and have just the right lighting and angle:

Best way to handle this road-rash scratch?-img_2602_zpszxteoleq.jpg

i am satisfied!

I asked how much for the repair, and was told that the dealership appreciates my business and simply looks forward to helping me keep my car looking good and running well. i told them i appreciate the skill and effort they expended on the repair, and really expected to pay for it, but the service writer insisted on it being no charge.

I certainly appreciate my dealership even more now.

Jim G

Last edited by JimGnitecki; 06-15-2017 at 09:52 AM.
Old 06-14-2017, 11:47 PM

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts
2012 C63, 2014 E550
Wow, this is amazing. I looked for it and still couldn't find it. They did a good job. And it was free? From the dealership?? Lucky day, Jim!
Old 06-15-2017, 12:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,594 Likes on 938 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
Wonder if they did the work while impaired?
Old 06-15-2017, 11:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
2009 SLK55 AMG
Ok, we've now heard from the official court clowns, andgot that out of the way, but the question is serious.

Jim G
Get a piece of paper towel and roll it into a tight pointed shape to form a cone with a tip. You want to get it really tight. Clean the area around the scratch, dab some paint from the tub on the tip using the brush in the tube.
Daub the paint gently into the scratch to fill it. You will never see it unless you want to be really **** about it and complain that when within 6 inches of it you can see it.
A fine brush does not work as well as making a paper dauber. If you are unsure and in Nanaimo go see Ralph Lemmon at Mid-Island Collision and tell him I sent you to learn how he does it. I learned from him.
As a side note my CLA45 AMG was white and I had no touch up paint but some white enamel house trim paint was almost a dead match.
Old 06-15-2017, 11:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by PurpleHeartAMG
Lots of patience if you're doing it yourself. That's #1. However, that being said, if it was my car I would either A) ignore it or B) take it to a pro and spend money to have it done the right way. (Like actually spraying it but just a super small section right there)
No way. The cost to spray would include prep by filling, sanding, masking, spraying and blending, clear coat, wet sand and polish.
A 10 minute fiddle will do it if done right without over complicating it.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:08 AM

2012 Mercedes C63 AMG S
Originally Posted by Alex.currie44
Get a piece of paper towel and roll it into a tight pointed shape to form a cone with a tip. You want to get it really tight. Clean the area around the scratch, dab some paint from the tub on the tip using the brush in the tube.
Daub the paint gently into the scratch to fill it. You will never see it unless you want to be really **** about it and complain that when within 6 inches of it you can see it.
A fine brush does not work as well as making a paper dauber. If you are unsure and in Nanaimo go see Ralph Lemmon at Mid-Island Collision and tell him I sent you to learn how he does it. I learned from him.
As a side note my CLA45 AMG was white and I had no touch up paint but some white enamel house trim paint was almost a dead match.
My paint is the "pearl" white which they told me complicates an amateur doing a decent repair. From what I recall about pearl paints from model car building, they contain reflective pieces whose orientation becomes "wrong" when multiple coats are applied with insufficient skill.

Jim G
Old 06-16-2017, 12:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 393 Likes on 272 Posts
2012 E550 Cabrio
My paint is the "pearl" white which they told me complicates an amateur doing a decent repair. From what I recall about pearl paints from model car building, they contain reflective pieces whose orientation becomes "wrong" when multiple coats are applied with insufficient skill.

Jim G
Which brings us back to this.......

Originally Posted by Jake215
From the picture it actually doesn't look so bad. Honestly try polishing it and if that doesn't work just leave it be. Matching diamond white is a giant pain in the ***.
Old 06-16-2017, 09:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 SLK55 AMG

Jim G
What ever. You can make it as complicated or as simple as you wish.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:24 AM

2012 Mercedes C63 AMG S
Originally Posted by Alex.currie44
What ever. You can make it as complicated or as simple as you wish.
I went for "simple" by having the dealership do it - for free!

Jim G
Old 06-16-2017, 10:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
Holy ****ing ****. All this dumb****ery for a 1" superficial scratch under the car where nobody will ever see it.