Vacuum leak woes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 04:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Celicasaur
[*]02 sensor signal stuck lean, bank 1 sensor 2[*]02 sensor signal stuck lean, bank 2 sensor 2
"Stuck lean" signals a significantly lean condition that cannot be corrected by the ECU. If you didn't see these codes before they could well have been generated by the OBDII self-test cycle that happens probably every few thousand miles. The ECU induces both rich and lean conditions and measures whether minimum or maximum values are exceeded. My guess is that you are therefore running not just lean but very lean to be "stuck." (I've been "stuck rich" before.) Therefore there may well be more than just a slight air leak going on. Problematic as the primary O2 sensors are with this this engine, replacing them is a no-brainer IMO.

Last edited by bhamg; 06-08-2017 at 04:48 PM.
Old 07-08-2017, 09:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts
W212 - E63 AMG
SO after what feels like an eternity of having my car off road and not used (I was working on my other cars and needed to focus on those etc) i finally got the car working as normal again today.

I bought a used intake manifold from Germany which supposedly came out from a 2012 C63. I already had a fresh set of gaskets n bolts waiting (one of which snapped....second time it's happened to me!) so it was fairly straightforward to fit to the motor. The car runs....as it should, so I guess that was the solution to my issue.

Still doesn't make sense to me if the old manifold was deemed to be true from the engineering shop and it passed a smoke test, but there you go....

If I have time next week, I'll attempt to fit my 82mm throttle bodies in and update the TB thread if I manage to make any progress.
Old 07-09-2017, 02:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2009 C63
Did you new intake come with new hosing in the front as well or you used the existing pieces?
Old 07-09-2017, 03:27 AM

Received 125 Likes on 107 Posts
2014 Mercedes C63 AMG 507 Edition
Glad to hear you got it sorted. Have you I inspected the old intake manifold for hairline cracks.
Old 07-09-2017, 07:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,677 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
Great news
Old 07-09-2017, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W212 - E63 AMG
Originally Posted by BerBer63
Did you new intake come with new hosing in the front as well or you used the existing pieces?
It came with the bendy rubber that goes around the PCV and the long wiggly hardline (along with the t-piece rubber pipe that connects into the black airbox nipple).

Originally Posted by Savage-wp
Glad to hear you got it sorted. Have you I inspected the old intake manifold for hairline cracks.
TBH I've looked over the old manifold countless times and even smoked the hell out of it, so presumably anything big enough to leak air into it, would emit smoke from out of it, but no dice. It's weird man. I'm just going to salvage my throttle bodies out of it now and then chop it apart for a side project that will probably never materialise

Originally Posted by BLKROKT
Great news
Old 07-09-2017, 08:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG
TBH I've looked over the old manifold countless times and even smoked the hell out of it, so presumably anything big enough to leak air into it, would emit smoke from out of it, but no dice. It's weird man.
Yup, but good to hear you've solved the problem. My guess is this motor consumes maybe 500CFM of air @ 5kRPM so it's difficult to imagine hairline cracks making any difference at all. GL with the TB's.
Old 07-10-2017, 12:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 370 Likes on 212 Posts
c63
SO after what feels like an eternity of having my car off road and not used (I was working on my other cars and needed to focus on those etc) i finally got the car working as normal again today.

I bought a used intake manifold from Germany which supposedly came out from a 2012 C63. I already had a fresh set of gaskets n bolts waiting (one of which snapped....second time it's happened to me!) so it was fairly straightforward to fit to the motor. The car runs....as it should, so I guess that was the solution to my issue.

Still doesn't make sense to me if the old manifold was deemed to be true from the engineering shop and it passed a smoke test, but there you go....

If I have time next week, I'll attempt to fit my 82mm throttle bodies in and update the TB thread if I manage to make any progress.
Congrats mate
Old 07-10-2017, 02:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W212 - E63 AMG
Originally Posted by bhamg
Yup, but good to hear you've solved the problem. My guess is this motor consumes maybe 500CFM of air @ 5kRPM so it's difficult to imagine hairline cracks making any difference at all. GL with the TB's.
I guess we'll find out towards the end of the week. It's either the throttle bodies or a crack that just can't be seen by the eye. Also FWIW I could barely get the car to go above 3000rpm and the vacuum leak was evident at idle from start up.

I tell you what though, the additional bodge-sealing on my airboxes (I'm guessing particularly at the back behind the MAFs) seems to have helped to make the drivability a lot smoother and responsive at light throttle inputs

Originally Posted by mr747
Congrats mate