Coolant in Oil

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 12:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
2009 SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by bhamg
While true, IMO that's only part of the story. I believe pitting, which is more cavitation-related is as, or more of a factor in headbolt breakage than generalized surface corrosion. I really wish we could compare more broken headbolts from various failures.
To your point, MB used to say change coolant every 2 yr and now they seem to feel 100000 miles or something (ya, I did not look it up but you get the point). The idea may be ok but since it is more than a coolant and also anti corrosion etc. I wonder if the efficacy of the chems deteriorates and this can add to corrosion and failure.
Old 08-07-2017, 01:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Alex.currie44
To your point, MB used to say change coolant every 2 yr and now they seem to feel 100000 miles or something (ya, I did not look it up but you get the point). The idea may be ok but since it is more than a coolant and also anti corrosion etc. I wonder if the efficacy of the chems deteriorates and this can add to corrosion and failure.
The OE M-B anti-freeze is a hybrid, partially silicate-based coolant with a packet of silicate solids in the radiator that is meant to replenish the corrosion inhibitors over time. This type of coolant is typically sold commercially with a suggested life of 100k miles. Once a year I use a turkey baster to empty the underhood overflow reservoir and fill with a 50-50 mix of factory coolant so that's my way of trying to keep the additives refreshed.
The following users liked this post:
Alex.currie44 (08-07-2017)
Old 08-07-2017, 01:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
Sounds more like headbolts than anything else. It's like a bomb that you never know when it is going to go off. That's why I traded in my beloved M156 shortly after the factory warranty is over.
Old 08-07-2017, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 sl63, 2011 sls, 2014 e63s 2018 e63s
I live most of the year in South Florida, Pompano Beach to be specific, and bought this car and many others at "Mercedes of Pompano Beach," an Auto Nation store. From them I bought this car, which is a 2009 SL63, also a 2011 SLS, a 2012 ML63, a 2014 E63S, a 2017 or 2018, not sure, GLE63S, a 2017 GLA45, and have a 2018 E63S that should be here late this month. In addition I've probably purchased another five or six non-AMG's from them. They have a new GM that I don't love ... didn't return any of my 3 phone calls regarding this issue. Note that I didn't ask for anything, other than for him to please call me as I'm a longtime customer with a few car questions. Didn't even mention that I had a problem. Any way, I've not made the call, but I would hope that maybe MB USA would want to help a fiercely loyal customer. Also, I own a Tire and Auto Repair shop in Pompano that could tackle the job. That said, I have a home in Maine and sent this car there a month ago ... great luck huh? So that's where it is, and it's $1250 each way to have the car transported.

As fast as the water goes through the radiator and into the oil pan ... literally as fast as you pour it, I was hoping for some type of plug in the intake manifold or some other obscure issue. But 20 out of 20 have said it's a head bolt. So ...
I have the car at Autowerkes Maine (autowerkesmaine.com). They have good reviews but I'm a little concerned that they seem perplexed, and seem confident it is not a head bolt issue ... due to the aforementioned water flowing so fast into the oil pan. While I'm still hoping for a miracle, I'm now pretty convinced it's a head bolt, assuming the water can leak (flow) through a broken bolt shaft and into through an oil return in the head. I don't know this engine well at all, but am amazed at the level of expertise provided by the members here and grateful for the assistance! Thank you all!

The story continues and I'll update when I finally have some answers.

Jay
Old 08-07-2017, 03:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,677 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
Honestly, I'm not convinced it sounds like a headbolt. If water is running straight through the radiator to the oil pan, it sounds more catastrophic like a cracked head or block to me.

I'm not convinced that water would flow through that fast if it were just a bad headbolt, especially when not under pressure.

Keep us updated and good luck.
Old 08-07-2017, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts
C63 coupe, Z3M Roadster garage queen
If it is indeed headbolts, does the shop need a special cam alignment tool from Mercedes to do this repair? Is this tool common at Indy shops?