Powerstop Track Day pad review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 12:52 AM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
2009 C63
Powerstop Track Day pad review

Hi everyone,

I tried out the new Powerstop 'Track Day' line of pads at a Drivers Ed event on Friday and thought I would pass along my opinions.

For starters, the part number is PST-1405 and they are for CTS-Vs, some Challengers, Corvettes, etc that use our same front caliper. The pads fit perfectly, but they do not have the cut-out for the wear indicator so you need to run without that. You also need to remove the 'old school' metal tab wear indicator that is installed on one of the pads to make sure it fits properly. They were $138 through Summit Racing.

My set up was 2009 P30 with the full 2-piece rotors. I ran stock rear pads, Track Day pads in the front, and Motul 600RBF brake fluid.

I ran 5 seasions that day. The first session was 'light aggressive' on the brakes to bed the pads, 2nd and 3rd sessions were increasing aggressiveness as I got used to the pads, and 4th and 5th were pretty much full attack. The front calipers turned bronze, the stick-on wheel weight on passenger front melted off, and I cooked one of the wheel speed sensors at the end of session 5. Overall, a fun day! 😜

Anyway, the Motul fluid performed far better than the stock fluid; it was only towards the end of session 5 that the brakes felt even slightly spongy.

As far as the pads go, I was very impressed. Bite was good, fade resistance was very solid, and they were as confidence inspiring as the Pagid Oranges I ran on my 944 Turbo. They weren't overly dusty and didn't make much noise on the drive home, but were solid enough for the track for sure.

The pads were 16.3mm thick out of the box, with 6.6mm of backing plate and almost 10mm of pad material. With 2 hard sessions, 2 medium hard, and one to bed the pads, they were 16.0, 16.0, 15.9 and 15.8mm thick when I removed them. (The difference is due to the fact that 3 of the 5 heavy braking zones at The Ridge are into left handers, so the front right pads wear a bit more (and that caliper turns a bit more bronze!). So, in five 20 minute sessions, I used up 0.5mm of pad, leaving 9.52eft. I would expect to be able to get at least 4 days out of these (which, sadly for me, is basically a season).

The pads looked good upon removal; there were no cracks in the pads at all and the wear patterns were even across the pads. Rotors we're fine as well.

so, if you are someone who does a few tracks Ayana year and wants is looking for a good pad that car take the abuse without spending a fortune, I really have no problem recommending these.

Ryan
The following users liked this post:
Mikeki7 (08-22-2017)
Old 08-22-2017, 01:04 AM

2009 C63
Sorry folks, one thing I forgot to mention is that I was running Conti Extreme Contacts for tires at this event. I will be stepping up to a more dedicated tire next year, just haven't gotten there yet.

Just something to keep in mind with this review; I was definitely modulating the brakes right on the edge of ABS lock-up in the hardest braking zones, but these results are on street tires and not R-comps.

I'd expect a bit more pad wear, more bronzing of the calipers, and even more grins on some good tires!! 👍
Case1906 (08-22-2017)
Old 08-22-2017, 03:28 PM

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
2013 C63 AMG P31
But.. but.. you didn't buy the ultra premium Euro-Carbino Extreme Ceramic pads for $1000 a set. There is no possible way $150 pads can be any good. (sarcasm) The Euro-Carbino Extremes are ultra exclusive and the carbon made from the crushed and ground up dreams of the common man. For the discerning aristocrat who knows just how good it feels to stick it to the little man, every time you press the brake your grind their ashes into dust.

Great review of a great product. Thanks!!
Old 08-22-2017, 03:44 PM

Received 119 Likes on 79 Posts
2013 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by C63fora2w1
But.. but.. you didn't buy the ultra premium Euro-Carbino Extreme Ceramic pads for $1000 a set. There is no possible way $150 pads can be any good. (sarcasm) The Euro-Carbino Extremes are ultra exclusive and the carbon made from the crushed and ground up dreams of the common man. For the discerning aristocrat who knows just how good it feels to stick it to the little man, every time you press the brake your grind their ashes into dust.

Keep imagining yourself up on that cross, dude.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ambystom01:
BLKROKT (08-22-2017), Diabolis (08-23-2017)
Old 08-22-2017, 03:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,574 Likes on 927 Posts
2010 C63 AMG

Ok, now you're simply being retarded.

Why why weren't these pads $50 for the set? Because they use more expensive raw materials. According to your dumb *** logic they must have some sort of AMG tax on them being $150 right?

You keep focusing on super expensive pads when that whole thread you created derailed on the fact that $50 just seemed way too low to build a quality product. Are you refusing to understand or are you just that thick headed?

I still believe they're likely not using quality materials but you're happy you saved 50 bucks and that's all that matters...
The following 2 users liked this post by Jasonoff:
BLKROKT (08-22-2017), Diabolis (08-23-2017)
Old 08-22-2017, 04:26 PM

2013 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Jasonoff
Ok, now you're simply being retarded.

Why why weren't these pads $50 for the set? Because they use more expensive raw materials. According to your dumb *** logic they must have some sort of AMG tax on them being $150 right?

You keep focusing on super expensive pads when that whole thread you created derailed on the fact that $50 just seemed way too low to build a quality product. Are you refusing to understand or are you just that thick headed?

I still believe they're likely not using quality materials but you're happy you saved 50 bucks and that's all that matters...
Exactly, none of the pro-cheap **** crowd have explained why the pads are so significantly cheaper than the trusted and well-established brands, other than a bizarre conspiracy theory that alleges a scam orchestrated by unrelated companies to artificially inflate their prices.
The following 3 users liked this post by Ambystom01:
AMG3.2 (08-22-2017), BLKROKT (08-22-2017), Diabolis (08-23-2017)
Old 08-22-2017, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 540 Likes on 477 Posts
2010 C300 4MATIC........ 2011 C63 AMG.............. 2015 CLS400 4MATIC.....
How did the conti's perform?

Comparison to other tires?
Old 08-22-2017, 06:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts
C63 AMG, P30
Originally Posted by Ambystom01
Exactly, none of the pro-cheap **** crowd have explained why the pads are so significantly cheaper than the trusted and well-established brands, other than a bizarre conspiracy theory that alleges a scam orchestrated by unrelated companies to artificially inflate their prices.
Agreed on that point.

I also do think the OP provided a well thought out and credible review.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:39 PM

2013 C63 AMG P31
Originally Posted by Ryan951s
Hi everyone,

I tried out the new Powerstop 'Track Day' line of pads at a Drivers Ed event on Friday and thought I would pass along my opinions.

For starters, the part number is PST-1405 and they are for CTS-Vs, some Challengers, Corvettes, etc that use our same front caliper. The pads fit perfectly, but they do not have the cut-out for the wear indicator so you need to run without that. You also need to remove the 'old school' metal tab wear indicator that is installed on one of the pads to make sure it fits properly. They were $138 through Summit Racing.

My set up was 2009 P30 with the full 2-piece rotors. I ran stock rear pads, Track Day pads in the front, and Motul 600RBF brake fluid.

I ran 5 seasions that day. The first session was 'light aggressive' on the brakes to bed the pads, 2nd and 3rd sessions were increasing aggressiveness as I got used to the pads, and 4th and 5th were pretty much full attack. The front calipers turned bronze, the stick-on wheel weight on passenger front melted off, and I cooked one of the wheel speed sensors at the end of session 5. Overall, a fun day! 😜

Anyway, the Motul fluid performed far better than the stock fluid; it was only towards the end of session 5 that the brakes felt even slightly spongy.

As far as the pads go, I was very impressed. Bite was good, fade resistance was very solid, and they were as confidence inspiring as the Pagid Oranges I ran on my 944 Turbo. They weren't overly dusty and didn't make much noise on the drive home, but were solid enough for the track for sure.

The pads were 16.3mm thick out of the box, with 6.6mm of backing plate and almost 10mm of pad material. With 2 hard sessions, 2 medium hard, and one to bed the pads, they were 16.0, 16.0, 15.9 and 15.8mm thick when I removed them. (The difference is due to the fact that 3 of the 5 heavy braking zones at The Ridge are into left handers, so the front right pads wear a bit more (and that caliper turns a bit more bronze!). So, in five 20 minute sessions, I used up 0.5mm of pad, leaving 9.52eft. I would expect to be able to get at least 4 days out of these (which, sadly for me, is basically a season).

The pads looked good upon removal; there were no cracks in the pads at all and the wear patterns were even across the pads. Rotors we're fine as well.

so, if you are someone who does a few tracks Ayana year and wants is looking for a good pad that car take the abuse without spending a fortune, I really have no problem recommending these.

Ryan

Sorry OP I'm not trying to Hijack your post I appreciate the review. It doesn't surprise me that I didn't mention any names but I managed to get all the jackasses to chime in on one thread.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:55 PM

2013 C63 AMG
Sorry OP I'm not trying to Hijack your post I appreciate the review. It doesn't surprise me that I didn't mention any names but I managed to get all the jackasses to chime in on one thread.
Oh stop being a pathetic wannabe martyr, dude. In every. Damn. Thread. It's the same sob story from you about how you were so mistreated.

Either shave your head, call yourself the king of Jews, and die for humanity's sins, or stop being an emotional teenage girl.
BLKROKT (08-22-2017)
Old 08-22-2017, 10:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 AMG
You knew what you were doing and just solidified my assumption about your character...

Stop giving incorrect technical advice to other members. You're a fkn clown...
BLKROKT (08-22-2017)
Old 08-23-2017, 02:20 AM

2009 C63
For the question about how the Conti's performed, I'd say they were adequate.

I will be honest and say that I have been running a 944 Turbo S the past 8 or so years with 300whp, 2,800lbs, and track pads with R888s, so I might not be the best person to ask as I'm still trying to get used to the car.

How they perform for dealing with 3,900lbs? Pretty decent, I guess. Would my 944 on R comps absolutely destroy them? For sure. But, I continue to be impressed with the 63's handling and how reasonably neutral it is, even on staggered street tires.

My personal goal for the 63 is to dual purpose it over the next 3-4 years. With a 2 year old at home, my track time is going to be limited so I'm not really interested in maintaining a dedicated track car at this point.

As a guy who has a habit of letting his car hobby expenses get out of control 😳, I'm trying hard to keep the 63 in the 'really fun but not stupid cash flow' camp. I've done a V6 tune and H&Rs, and have the track brake pad issuetackled now as well.

For tires, the plan is to pick up some Nitto NT05s for next season. I have a set of 18x8.5 wheels that I'll run 255/35/18 Nittos on all around. Keeping with a square setup will let me move the wheels and tires around the car to maximize tread life, especially with a set of symmetrical tires like the NT05s. Plus, a square set up should help dial out a bit of the understeer the car has as well.

At this point, that's about as far as I want to take it. I'm fighting the coil-over and BS brake upgrade urge right now ... give me one more season and see if I've caved! 😜
Old 08-23-2017, 03:21 AM

2013 C63 AMG P31
You knew what you were doing and just solidified my assumption about your character...

Stop giving incorrect technical advice to other members. You're a fkn clown...
Yep I set a trap and everyone of you arrogant dumb asses fell right in it. Its the same group of internet trolls everytime.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:10 AM

Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts
CLS63, S55
I'm not on any particular side but I don't get the price argument. Replacement front and rear brembo pads were posted in another thread and each set was 50 bux and that wasn't special pricing. These track day pads are still cheaper than other track oriented pads so you can make an argument that these must be of lower quality.

Great review! It would be super cool if you tried a couple of other pads to get a good comparison of performance and pad wear.
C63fora2w1 (08-23-2017)
Old 08-23-2017, 08:24 AM

2013 C63 AMG
Yep I set a trap and everyone of you arrogant dumb asses fell right in it. Its the same group of internet trolls everytime.
What a smart, clever girl you must think you are for coming up with such a diabolical plan all by yourself.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,810 Likes on 1,664 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
Originally Posted by Ryan951s
The front calipers turned bronze, the stick-on wheel weight on passenger front melted off, and I cooked one of the wheel speed sensors at the end of session 5. Overall, a fun day! 😜
Honestly, I have to admit that I'm a little jealous here. I've seen Wobble64 burn his red caliper paint to black on track. And now you're bronze.

I've melted wheel center caps, melted off wheel weights, had my brakes billowing smoke... yet my calipers are still red. I wish I knew what I was doing wrong...

Seriously though, glad to see you enjoying the car on track
The following 2 users liked this post by BLKROKT:
C63fora2w1 (08-23-2017), Duffer4126 (06-08-2018)
Old 08-23-2017, 01:06 PM

Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts
2014 C63 Coupe
Originally Posted by BLKROKT
Honestly, I have to admit that I'm a little jealous here. I've seen Wobble64 burn his red caliper paint to black on track. And now you're bronze.

I've melted wheel center caps, melted off wheel weights, had my brakes billowing smoke... yet my calipers are still red. I wish I knew what I was doing wrong...

Seriously though, glad to see you enjoying the car on track
It's a well known fact: braking less makes you faster. Don't sweat the color of your calipers
Duffer4126 (06-11-2018)
Old 08-23-2017, 04:01 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Mikeki7
I'm not on any particular side but I don't get the price argument. Replacement front and rear brembo pads were posted in another thread and each set was 50 bux and that wasn't special pricing. These track day pads are still cheaper than other track oriented pads so you can make an argument that these must be of lower quality.

Great review! It would be super cool if you tried a couple of other pads to get a good comparison of performance and pad wear.
Get out of here with your logic and reasoning!
Old 08-23-2017, 07:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Mikeki7

It was a discounted item from some unknown website. It was also mentioned that they're likely made in china which would just be some garbage re-branded as Brembo. Not something I would trust either. Who knows, maybe they're the exact same pads...

As for the cost differential between the PowerStop street and track pads. You're basically saying track pads should be triple the cost of a street pad? I've never paid that much difference. Use Hawk, Cobalt, Carbotech, G-Loc (I can keep going) as examples if you wish...
Old 08-23-2017, 07:28 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
I have these on my E90 M3 and they work decently.. Are they made in China? What isnt now a days... Am i going to hell? According to Jasonoff i'm already here

Not sure if this is enough of a reputable website for you guys.

https://www.bavauto.com/brakes/pads.html?brand=3707
Attached Thumbnails Powerstop Track Day pad review-capture3.png  
Old 08-23-2017, 08:32 PM

CLS63, S55
It was a discounted item from some unknown website. It was also mentioned that they're likely made in china which would just be some garbage re-branded as Brembo. Not something I would trust either. Who knows, maybe they're the exact same pads...

As for the cost differential between the PowerStop street and track pads. You're basically saying track pads should be triple the cost of a street pad? I've never paid that much difference. Use Hawk, Cobalt, Carbotech, G-Loc (I can keep going) as examples if you wish...
The list price is not a real thing its a made up number, 50 bux is what they will always cost. I mentioned its possible that the brembo pads can be made in china. Also track pads shouldnt cost 3 times the price of normal ones but they do because its a specific product aimed at a smaller market and they make up for that with bigger profit margins. Still people shouldnt crap all over a product they have no experience with, overall powerstop has a good repuation. I dont leave nasty comments on products i havent laid my eyes on or had a chance to use, this is not aimed at you but more of a general statement.

Last edited by Mikeki7; 08-23-2017 at 08:36 PM.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:52 PM

2013 C63 AMG
For the most part, people weren't crapping all over the pads. Rather, they wanted some rational explanation for why the pads were so significantly cheaper than seemingly anything else on the market for this platform. Hell, $50 is cheaper than the pads I ran on my Miata.

What the skeptics got was what you see in here from our resident self-declared Jesus; allegations of a global conspiracy on prices; accusations that we were old, bitter, haters who were too scared to try these pads; claims that these were as good as name brands.

So the skepticism wasn't addressed at all. And there's still no explanation for why the price is so low, or why these pads seem to have become so popular in the last 2 months. I suspect the answer to that is because C63 prices keep going down and new buyers are more price sensitive.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:09 PM

CLS63, S55
All fair points but both sides need to keep a neutral standpoint until they gain experience, too much negativity. If powerstop released the same exact pads and put a 100 dollar price tag no one would even think to question the quality because again the reputation is there so fck them for putting a low price tag. Anyways the price is not too surprising, there are multiple options for front pads at that price point. At the top of my head I know centric and TRW offer front pads in the 50 to 60 dollar range even pagids have come down to 80 bux. We need some actual real life experiences but pads last a while so there will only be a few reviews here and there.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Sakebomb
I have these on my E90 M3 and they work decently.. Are they made in China? What isnt now a days... Am i going to hell? According to Jasonoff i'm already here

Not sure if this is enough of a reputable website for you guys.

https://www.bavauto.com/brakes/pads.html?brand=3707
Which website was the below from? You have a link handy?

Old 06-08-2018, 04:13 AM

2009 C63
Hi everyone,

i just wanted to follow up on my original feedback on these pads. I was at a track day yesterday where we had 4 30-minute sessions ... was a great afternoon with a total of 2 hours of track time! (My buddy has a '17 M2 with some exhaust work, and he and I were running identical lap times, so I was pretty impressed with the 63!)

Anyway, I just wanted to re-endorse these pads. For the price, they are great. This year I stepped up to 255/40/18 Falken Azenis 615+ tires all around ... not quite an R-compound, but very sticky with a 200 tread wear rating. The pads handled the half-hour sessions with no problem. The pedal was getting a little long due to the fluid and the tires were definitely getting greasy after about 5 laps, but the pads held in nicely.

i removed them tonight and they are evenly worn with absolutely no cracking or anything nasty. They started at 15.9mm of thickness and are down to 14.7mm, so they lost 1.2mm of pad thickness in 2 hours of track time. I would expect to be able to get 4 or 5 days out of this set.

Im sure they're not the absolute best pad out there, but if I was worried about setting the ultimate lap time, I wouldn't be out there in a 3,900lb car! But, they are a very good, durable pad that handles the abuse of the track with good bite and minimal-to-no fade.

For the price, a great track pad. They don't even squeak so, outside of being a bit dusty, you could use them as dailies if you wanted.

Ymmv, but wanted to pass along a bit more feedback now that I've had an aggressive track day with them with good tires.