V7 Power Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 08:50 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts
93' 500E, 95' Corolla
Originally Posted by Jasonoff
If I could supply a skid to drop it down on and have my DT yanked for $200. I'd just drop my car off and pick it up with a trailer for that steal of a deal!
Unfortunately, flat rate billing does not work that way. Just because I can do it in a short amount of time, for sure does not mean everyone can... Costs are based on the book, as is industry standard.

That being said, I charge a fair price for the job most often less than the book. Not only do you get a deal, you get peace of mind.

Thanks

Dave
Old 09-14-2017, 07:20 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 225 Likes on 134 Posts
2013 Mercedes C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Cozy
Hurrah, a V7 thread with a difference.

I loaded my new V7 (non-beta) to my car today via MyGenius. Easy as always, write completes and off you drive. I was never a real fan of V6 for the same reasons people have documented in here and it's unrefined characteristics at times, so V7 looked good. The car is run on 94OCT which is the grade the tune was written to use.

Instantly I notice that below 4000rpm the car feels more eager in 'C', so all good and I drive about for 15min to let everything heat up. I flick it into S, S+ and M and it all feels really good under 4000rpm whilst I have a little play, downshifts seem sharper and crackling from the exhaust seems to have increased.

Then I nail it on a safe piece of road after selecting Sport Handling mode, as anything less is too intrusive. Great until 4000rpm and THEN...
...so so so flat. The car accelerates but it feels held back and like I say, just flat. It's not the usual relentless shove in the back until you reach redline.

I gave it an hours worth of driving but it didn't improve, so I reflashed back to V6. Hey presto, back to its good old sledge-hammer self.

Car is a 2013 coupe with IPE Headers.

Any educated ideas? It would seem obvious to me it's a mapping problem so I have emailed EC, although it's always good to get some theories from others.
A bit late to this, but this flatness of power is what I experience with the v6 tune, but only in first gear. I experience it here and there, not all the time. It's so annoying when it does happen. Like first gear would be so flat, then when it shifts into second it's like a rocket going off.

I did notice that I experience this when i'm pulling out of uneven parking lots. I'm thinking that it has something to do with the lack of LSD.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:09 PM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
14 polar white E550
Ok guys so Jerry sent me another file to try out and it definitely was an approvement over the first file sent to me. The power had seem to be restored in a way it felt weird to me but it was there , the throttle was very touchy kinda felt like it was either on or off , the downshifts were not as snappy/aggressive . Overall power wise it improved but did not feel correct to me throughout the Rpms. I'm stumped and also I'm sure Jerry is as the car is not directly infront of him.

I did change my valve seals so it can't be that !
Old 09-15-2017, 04:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts
W212 - E63 AMG
Originally Posted by Amr_c63
The throttle was very touchy kinda felt like it was either on or off
Some of us would pay good money money to have our throttle as sharp as that
Old 09-15-2017, 06:20 AM

14 polar white E550
Originally Posted by Celicasaur
Some of us would pay good money money to have our throttle as sharp as that
No this is not something you would like , it made driving in the lower gears annoying as your neck would move back an forth every two seconds on and off gas lol
Old 09-15-2017, 06:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W212 - E63 AMG
No this is not something you would like , it made driving in the lower gears annoying as your neck would move back an forth every two seconds on and off gas lol
I love that....a tuned M5/M3 (E39/E60/E46) can be like that and yeah... lol

Is it not progressive at all? Surely it must just be super sensitive and just be a case of really getting used to it? Our throttles are very progressive and even then they're limited by the ECM in stock form. I'm guessing this tune accelerates the opening rate. I really want to try this tune on my car.
Old 09-15-2017, 06:47 AM

14 polar white E550
I love that....a tuned M5/M3 (E39/E60/E46) can be like that and yeah... lol

Is it not progressive at all? Surely it must just be super sensitive and just be a case of really getting used to it? Our throttles are very progressive and even then they're limited by the ECM in stock form. I'm guessing this tune accelerates the opening rate. I really want to try this tune on my car.

the throttle percentage applied was more amplified then it should be , having it be progressive is what you want that keeps the refinement a bit in this car.
Old 09-15-2017, 06:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W212 - E63 AMG
the throttle percentage applied was more amplified then it should be , having it be progressive is what you want that keeps the refinement a bit in this car.
True....I hear you...but once headers are fitted, the refinement goes south instantly anyway

Regardless, I'm glad that it's running better for you now. Fingers crossed the rest of the tune gets sorted too. Seems like maybe a V7 dyno tune to iron out kinks is the best way forward.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:40 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
C63 AMG PPP Saloon
True....I hear you...but once headers are fitted, the refinement goes south instantly anyway

Regardless, I'm glad that it's running better for you now. Fingers crossed the rest of the tune gets sorted too. Seems like maybe a V7 dyno tune to iron out kinks is the best way forward.
Does it ?
At wot and blasting I agree but I can drive mine civilised and get no more looks than any other c class
Starting the car from cold is a different story but once that's out the way no dramas
Going through tunnels at wot with the windows down creates 108 dbs and with them up it's still only 87.6inside
Old 09-16-2017, 05:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W212 - E63 AMG
Yeah no, I meant refinement to the rest of the world. I agree, in the car, it's so lovely and you just hear the rumble, especially on the motorway. I quite like the whole 'old school american muscle car' thing (members over here just say that it sounds like a Camaro), but although i like it, there's no denying that the car loses it's signature note and pitch. Each to their own I guess
Old 09-17-2017, 05:48 AM

Received 99 Likes on 46 Posts
C63
Hey guys,

I also have a new tune file to try and hope today. Jerry was kind enough to send this to me last week but I was called to a meeting 300miles away the next day so didn't get a chance to try.

I can confirm that going back to stock file, then V7 didn't cure it.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:01 AM

14 polar white E550
Hey guys,

I also have a new tune file to try and hope today. Jerry was kind enough to send this to me last week but I was called to a meeting 300miles away the next day so didn't get a chance to try.

I can confirm that going back to stock file, then V7 didn't cure it.

Any News on this
Old 09-21-2017, 09:03 AM

C63
Any News on this
Hey.

I uploaded the new tune file and it is massively different to the first file.

C Mode is really keen and gets through the gears quickly and cleanly; a huge improvement over V6 and even the first V7 file.

S, S+ and M modes are really sensitive and get going quickly. Overall I feel like there is less throttle lag, if you like, between this V7 and V6. Shifts appear faster (maybe that's a placebo) but they're definitely cleaner.

Over 4000rpm where the problem was with the V7 file is now much improved. It doesn't hit a wall and allows the engine to progress in a way that feels almost natural but there's a slight feel that the car holding back and a flatness to it. I'm going to run the tune a few more miles to see if anything adapts but I have fed back this to Jerry.

I appreciate the he's working hard on this and that this new V7 file might be as good as it gets, but hopefully over 4000rpm can be further improved to deliver a level of performance that V6 has or perhaps better yet.

At the moment I am happier with it, but not to the point where I feel it's a massive deal over V6 or V5.

Last edited by Cozy; 09-21-2017 at 10:13 AM.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:16 AM

14 polar white E550
Hey.

I uploaded the new tune file and it is massively different to the first file.

C Mode is really keen and gets through the gears quickly and cleanly; a huge improvement over V6 and even the first V7 file.

S, S+ and M modes are really sensitive and get going quickly. Overall I feel like there is less throttle lag, if you like, between this V7 and V7. Shifts appear faster (maybe that's a placebo) but they're definitely cleaner.

Over 4000rpm where the problem was with the V7 file is now virtually eliminated. It doesn't hit a wall and allows the engine to progress in a way that feels natural but there is an ever so slight feel is the car holding back and a flatness to it. I'm going to run the tune a few more miles to see if anything adapts but I have fed back this to Jerry.

I appreciate the he's working hard on this and that this new V7 file might be as good as it gets, but hopefully over 4000rpm can be further improved to deliver a level of performance that V6 has or perhaps better yet.

At the moment I am happier with it, but not to the point where I feel it's a massive deal over V6 or V5.
I wish i could say the same , but my v6 feels better then the v7 . When my updated 2nd v7 file was loaded it did eliminate majority of the earlier issues but it was not an improvement at all over the v6 for me . I don't know what else Jerry can do remotely to get this resolved but it sucks .
Old 09-21-2017, 10:12 AM

C63
I wish i could say the same , but my v6 feels better then the v7 . When my updated 2nd v7 file was loaded it did eliminate majority of the earlier issues but it was not an improvement at all over the v6 for me . I don't know what else Jerry can do remotely to get this resolved but it sucks .
For me, the daily driving aspect feels a lot better in C but I do agree that S/S+ and M is a bit on/off and might not suit everyone. I can get on with that but perhaps a little toned down might be better.

Over 4000rpm it's still not how it should be, still not as brutal as before on V5 or V6 and seems held back, if the rapidity of the speedo is anything to go by.

Last edited by Cozy; 09-21-2017 at 10:18 AM.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:20 AM

C63
A little more seat time and I think it might finally be there for me. I'm going to head to a dyno soon to see what's what, feed that back to Jerry and see what he makes of it.

I will also buy one of those OBD BT dongles to do some logs.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:45 AM

14 polar white E550
A little more seat time and I think it might finally be there for me. I'm going to head to a dyno soon to see what's what, feed that back to Jerry and see what he makes of it.

I will also buy one of those OBD BT dongles to do some logs.

At least your all sorted out and happy with your file! but I don't know if im the only one experiencing this problem since a lot of people don't like to report any sort of issue on this forum for some reason .
Old 09-23-2017, 10:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
w204 c63, real soon
Originally Posted by Wiggis
I went from stock to V7 and the thing does fly. Just one problem in that on cold start, the revs hold at about 1500 and don't drop until I touch the throttle. No issues at 4000 rpm or beyond.
mine did that on V6, haven’t cold started it on V7 yet, just flashed V7 today, but that’s one thing I’m hoping isn’t still present.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:16 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 Sedan (SOLD), 2011 SLS Gullwing (SOLD), 2009 SLK55 (SOLD), 2015 C7 Z06 7MT, 2016 C450amg
I feel bad for the guys having issues with V7. I felt a nice raw difference going from V6 to V7. A definite improvement. Not sure what you guys with issues specs are but maybe that could be a start.

2014 C63 sedan non P car
28k miles
All services done through MB
Only Exxon or BP 93octane fuel
V7 93 tune
Carbon delete and secondary car delete

Are you using non top tier fuels?
Tuned for 91 or 93?
Old 09-24-2017, 12:56 PM

C63
Hey guys,

So I'm all done. I ran the car down to the beach today, so I guess like 2hr total driving, which I figured would allow it to adapt if it needed to or could.

It's a frickin' brute and all the flatness over 4000rpm is gone, in fact vs V6 it feels a lot faster all over the rev range. I'm going to have to get used to the power delivery as the little bugger gets out on me quickly in S/S+/M modes but it's a lot of fun, if I'm awake. Gear changes seem sharper, perhaps faster and less confused over V6.

C mode is a huge improvement. There's less throttle lag when pulling away and it nips up through the gears cleanly and quickly. I nailed it in C earlier and thought I was in S, couldn't work out why it wasn't snapping on upshifts and was pleasantly surprised when I looked at the centre of the speedo display.

A quick blast on one piece of road I know well seemed to show more mph at the same point compared to V6 so it's definitely dealing with acceleration a lot better than V6.

The way it feels is much like the Beta guys described it. I've fed-back to Jerry who now may be able to begin to figure what may work out for you other chaps.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:34 PM

14 polar white E550
Hey guys,

So I'm all done. I ran the car down to the beach today, so I guess like 2hr total driving, which I figured would allow it to adapt if it needed to or could.

It's a frickin' brute and all the flatness over 4000rpm is gone, in fact vs V6 it feels a lot faster all over the rev range. I'm going to have to get used to the power delivery as the little bugger gets out on me quickly in S/S+/M modes but it's a lot of fun, if I'm awake. Gear changes seem sharper, perhaps faster and less confused over V6.

C mode is a huge improvement. There's less throttle lag when pulling away and it nips up through the gears cleanly and quickly. I nailed it in C earlier and thought I was in S, couldn't work out why it wasn't snapping on upshifts and was pleasantly surprised when I looked at the centre of the speedo display.

A quick blast on one piece of road I know well seemed to show more mph at the same point compared to V6 so it's definitely dealing with acceleration a lot better than V6.

The way it feels is much like the Beta guys described it. I've fed-back to Jerry who now may be able to begin to figure what may work out for you other chaps.
Glad it turned out for the better for you Cozy , how many files did you try before the current one working for you ? I'm thinking of loading it back up tonight and like you did give it a few days before justifying anything.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Sedan
View this post on Instagram
no problem with my v7 tune
Old 09-24-2017, 03:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W212 - E63 AMG
Originally Posted by Amg_mike254
https://instagram.com/p/BZbH2y_jwbI/ no problem with my v7 tune
That's got to be the greatest passenger reaction to a street race, bar none
Old 09-24-2017, 03:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Sedan
Ha ha yeah my cousin was excited af lol
Old 09-24-2017, 05:32 PM

C63
Glad it turned out for the better for you Cozy , how many files did you try before the current one working for you ? I'm thinking of loading it back up tonight and like you did give it a few days before justifying anything.
This was my second file, the first being the one with the major problem.

When I first loaded the second file on, it was an improvement but I still felt like it wasn't all there after a few miles, just rolling around locally to the gym or whatever but I guess that's not a real test. Today it's just settled itself down and become comfortable after a decent amount of country road and highway miles, and a pull on an M4 and some random R33 GTR.

My girlfriend talks a lot, but 2nd through 5th sorted that out . Even she mentioned how much faster it felt from the passenger seat.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: V7 Power Problem