C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Ultimate gas saving Kevlar aero spoiler!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 06:32 PM

Received 83 Likes on 49 Posts
2012 Mercedes C63 AMG S
Ultimate gas saving Kevlar aero spoiler!

For those whose mpg is just too low, I have apparently stumbled onto a solution! See my photos at:

https://mbworld.org/g/user/381936/photos

I thought this "high performance" roof rack mounted spoiler would "spoil" my fuel mileage, but I was apparently wrong! Today, I did a 2-way trip of 74 km each way, with this "aero spoiler", and the mpg for the 2 directions averaged to 10.4 L/100km = 22.7 mpg!!

I'm sure speed (or rather lack thereof) had something to do with it, as the route was the I-19 coastal highway on the east coast of Vancouver Island. This highway never exceeds a 90 kph (55 mph) speed limit, and drops down to as low as 50 kph (30 mph) as it passes through towns or simply built-up areas, and there are a TON of those within this 74 km strip of coastline.

But, the fuel mileage blew me away. It is not THAT far off the best (25.3 mpg) I have been able to reproducibly do at 55 to 60 mph on the "Inland Highway" (the limited access highway that parallels this older coastal highway) when really TRYING, and this is despite the 16.5 foot long, 34 inch wide, and 19" high canoe you see in the photos, supported by the roof rack which is itself pretty non-aero.

Any of you wanting a piece of this aero fuel saving action need to contact Wenonah Canoes in Wisconsin FAST, before the C63 performance geeks get there after reading this posting! Be sure to specify "Kevlar", or if your pockets are deeper, the available carbon fiber version!

Be the MPG and aesthetic envy of other C63 owners, who will undoubtedly gasp when they see your MPG when sporting this handsome rig on the roof!

Disclaimer: I make no promises about what this awesome spoiler would do on the drag strip, but you'd sure get the looks, and would probably psych the heck out of your competitors!

Seriously though, I have no idea how this bizarre setup generated that kind of fuel mileage.

Jim G

Last edited by JimGnitecki; 09-14-2017 at 06:34 PM.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 540 Likes on 477 Posts
2010 C300 4MATIC........ 2011 C63 AMG.............. 2015 CLS400 4MATIC.....
i did this to my w205 and now people think its his car

my spoiler lost me mpg tho but i snap necks like crazy

yes I duct taped it to the roof