C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Look at what our smog tests are doing

Old 09-27-2017, 02:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 368 Likes on 271 Posts
2005 E55
Look at what our smog tests are doing

Starting in a few days all of ma inspection stations are changing.everywhere I drive around I see gas stations changing out stuff and putting in new rooms etc.

Cameras everywhere and any monitors not on that are crossed in the database that need to be on automatically flags your car for review.

​​​​I'm probably going to take my headers off in 10 months.

Old 09-27-2017, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 679 Likes on 464 Posts
12 C63BS Magno Alanite Grey, 22 X3M Brooklyn Grey, 08 BMW E93, 22 Ducati Desert Sled, John Deere 3R
Motherf*****s - I need to move to NH!
Old 09-27-2017, 03:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
Originally Posted by roadkillrob
Motherf*****s - I need to move to NH!
Who will be the first to try and pass with headers lol
Old 09-27-2017, 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
Some liberal at the rmv will love seeing my setup!

Old 09-27-2017, 03:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

12 C63BS Magno Alanite Grey, 22 X3M Brooklyn Grey, 08 BMW E93, 22 Ducati Desert Sled, John Deere 3R
Well good news is pictures of the front and the back won't show all the missing cats!
Old 09-27-2017, 03:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
Originally Posted by roadkillrob
Well good news is pictures of the front and the back won't show all the missing cats!
Hopefully they don't take pictures of underneath
Old 09-27-2017, 04:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I am going to stand by my car and give them the bird!
Old 09-27-2017, 05:02 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2012 c63
I've been without a sticker since Oct last year. So far so good.
Old 09-27-2017, 05:27 PM

Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts
16 GLC 19 Volvo XC40 06Corvette Z06
Originally Posted by skratch77
Some liberal at the rmv will love seeing my setup!

Looks perfect to me.
Old 09-27-2017, 08:29 PM

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts
2012 C63, 2014 E550
Originally Posted by Cli63
I've been without a sticker since Oct last year. So far so good.

Whats the penalty in your area?
Old 09-27-2017, 08:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by NotABaller
Whats the penalty in your area?
The ticket is pretty cheap, like 50 or 100 bucks, but it is a surcharge-able offence, so your insurance company bones you like you got caught speeding and you end up paying many more hundreds in increased insurance premiums, that is where it hurts the most!
Old 09-27-2017, 10:30 PM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
14 polar white E550
Those cameras are only in place to check on the inspector to see if the whole car is actually being checked , as in all corners all lights, jacking the car up checking all tires etc. They will not determine your cars inspection by those cameras . Other then that this state has turned into the most ***** liberal zoo .
Old 09-27-2017, 11:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
Starting in a few days all of ma inspection stations are changing.everywhere I drive around I see gas stations changing out stuff and putting in new rooms etc.

Cameras everywhere and any monitors not on that are crossed in the database that need to be on automatically flags your car for review.

​​​​I'm probably going to take my headers off in 10 months.

Stop scaring yourself already. The pictures at best show that the the inspection agency is doing their job and documenting it, at worst it shows that your car doesn't have any obvious violations (ie. Tints). Your headers has a 300 cel cat setup, so it will pass smog once it is properly warmed up. As long as your readiness monitor only has 1 not ready, you will pass. Countless number of threads showing MA drivers have been posted before.

Enjoy your new headers and stop worrying about selling them.
Old 09-28-2017, 12:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
Originally Posted by I am Jeff
Stop scaring yourself already. The pictures at best show that the the inspection agency is doing their job and documenting it, at worst it shows that your car doesn't have any obvious violations (ie. Tints). Your headers has a 300 cel cat setup, so it will pass smog once it is properly warmed up. As long as your readiness monitor only has 1 not ready, you will pass. Countless number of threads showing MA drivers have been posted before.

Enjoy your new headers and stop worrying about selling them.
This is new for ma and if any monitors are turned off in the tune the car gets flagged
Old 09-28-2017, 12:16 PM

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
2017 911, 2012 C63
In may I took my 2012 P31 to get inspected. The car was tuned by OE, had ROW airboxes, 440, and some other bits, but all emissions was intact and nothing had been messed with there. I wasn't too concerned as I went to my dealer and it had passed last year. I'd made no performance changes and it was running great. The only real thing that had me concerned was the tint, that was on the car since I got it from it's prior owner who lived in TX was very dark.

So the care wouldn't pass. It passed all visuals, all tests they do, and all monitors showed as ready. But it wouldn't pass. The AMG Tech spent like 45 mins trying to figure out what was up. Finally they came back with a big R and said I could come in for a diagnostic and they'd try to figure out what was up.

I wasn't in too much of a hurry (had 60 days), but then my wife got pulled over by a State Trooper and he said "get rid of that tint, I'm not even going to take out my Tint Meter, that's very illegal". He then kept her pulled over while he checked what was up with the sticker. During that time, she called me, not too psyched and I told her we had 60 days. She left the phone on speaker and I heard him come back and tell her to get it fixed and that he wasn't ticketing her. Which was nice, as having a perfect record makes these toys a lot cheaper.

Anyway, so I start digging around with the RMV to figure out what's up and get forwarded to a Motorist Assistance Center. I finally get a very helpful guy who tells me over the phone that they know I have a tune and it's messing with the EGR. I need to flash it back to stock. I don't have the original flasher as the guy I got the car from kept it (not awesome, as it's just a paperweight for him). Anyway, I talk to the guys at OE, who were very helpful and they're all "we don't touch any of that stuff. This file is just fuel trims and what not.

So I get another Dim Sport thing overnighted to me, we send files back and forth, and then I reflash it back to stock (so quiet!) and drive it around for a day tryng to get a good duty cycle on it based on all I'd read and the fact that the guy at the MAC told me to make SURE I had it ready when I came in.

I had to go into the Motorist Assistance Center and he pulled into the garage and while he read some data from the ECU. He then sent me on my way and told me he'd give me a ring once he'd been able to dig into it. He was kind enough to rush it for me as by that time I was running up against the end of that 60 day window. He called later that day and said I was good to go, he released the hold on my car in the RMV's sytem and I was able to go back to the dealer and get it inspected.

I'll be interested to see if any other folks have problems. This was a pretty giant pain the butt for me that I'm not looking forward to experiencing again. This made me very glad I haven't put headers on the car. Definitely wondering though what would be the story with a CARB approved blower, as that's next for this toy ...
Old 09-28-2017, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by computertom
In may I took my 2012 P31 to get inspected. The car was tuned by OE, had ROW airboxes, 440, and some other bits, but all emissions was intact and nothing had been messed with there. I wasn't too concerned as I went to my dealer and it had passed last year. I'd made no performance changes and it was running great. The only real thing that had me concerned was the tint, that was on the car since I got it from it's prior owner who lived in TX was very dark.

So the care wouldn't pass. It passed all visuals, all tests they do, and all monitors showed as ready. But it wouldn't pass. The AMG Tech spent like 45 mins trying to figure out what was up. Finally they came back with a big R and said I could come in for a diagnostic and they'd try to figure out what was up.

I wasn't in too much of a hurry (had 60 days), but then my wife got pulled over by a State Trooper and he said "get rid of that tint, I'm not even going to take out my Tint Meter, that's very illegal". He then kept her pulled over while he checked what was up with the sticker. During that time, she called me, not too psyched and I told her we had 60 days. She left the phone on speaker and I heard him come back and tell her to get it fixed and that he wasn't ticketing her. Which was nice, as having a perfect record makes these toys a lot cheaper.

Anyway, so I start digging around with the RMV to figure out what's up and get forwarded to a Motorist Assistance Center. I finally get a very helpful guy who tells me over the phone that they know I have a tune and it's messing with the EGR. I need to flash it back to stock. I don't have the original flasher as the guy I got the car from kept it (not awesome, as it's just a paperweight for him). Anyway, I talk to the guys at OE, who were very helpful and they're all "we don't touch any of that stuff. This file is just fuel trims and what not.

So I get another Dim Sport thing overnighted to me, we send files back and forth, and then I reflash it back to stock (so quiet!) and drive it around for a day tryng to get a good duty cycle on it based on all I'd read and the fact that the guy at the MAC told me to make SURE I had it ready when I came in.

I had to go into the Motorist Assistance Center and he pulled into the garage and while he read some data from the ECU. He then sent me on my way and told me he'd give me a ring once he'd been able to dig into it. He was kind enough to rush it for me as by that time I was running up against the end of that 60 day window. He called later that day and said I was good to go, he released the hold on my car in the RMV's sytem and I was able to go back to the dealer and get it inspected.

I'll be interested to see if any other folks have problems. This was a pretty giant pain the butt for me that I'm not looking forward to experiencing again. This made me very glad I haven't put headers on the car. Definitely wondering though what would be the story with a CARB approved blower, as that's next for this toy ...
Wow, a tune and tints set all this off? MA sounds draconian with their car laws.
Old 09-28-2017, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I just had my c63 inspected about a month ago, secondary cat delete and eurocharged tune no issues. My 335i has the cat monitors turned off so catalyst is always not ready, but everything else is ready and it goes through no issue (last went in June).
Old 09-28-2017, 02:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
You guys want to hit up New England dragway on Wednesday?
Old 09-28-2017, 03:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You guys want to hit up New England dragway on Wednesday?
I unfortunately have virtually no free time in life and not at all on wednesdays, have fun if you all go!
Old 09-28-2017, 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 371 Likes on 279 Posts
05 c55 silver, 98 Imperial Red C43
So if you go do smog, you might potentially get a ticket for tints and no licence plate?