Vibration issue on 2011 C63 mostly when engine is hot

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 03:35 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
c63 amg PP (w204)
Vibration issue on 2011 C63 mostly when engine is hot

Hi everyone,

I'm hopelessly trying to solve a vibration issue with my 2011 facelift C63 (40000 miles on the odometer )for the last few months. Maybe we can do some brainstorming here regarding your ideas on where to dig.

Problem:
A slight vibration/drone can be felt on the steering wheel and pedal cluster when revving the engine between 1000-1300 rpms. It is impossible to make a video of the problem as it generates nearly zero noise and can be compared to a mobile phone vibration. The problem is always there regardless whether standing still in "P" mode or rolling. The hotter the engine gets (especially after spending time in traffic jams) the more noticeable the problem gets. When the traffic jam ends and I cruise for a bit, the vibration becomes less noticeable.

What has been done:
- all mounts (both engine a tranny) have been replaced. Moreover I had them refitted twice so they are definitely mounted correctly.
- no CELs are present and the engine runs and pulls fine
- the serpentine belt was dropped 2 times and the issue was still present, so it's not the auxiliary equipment
- the mechanic disconnected the flywheel from the wet clutch assembly (torque converter). The problem was still there, so it's not the gearbox or anything after it (driveshaft, differential)
- the exhaust was refitted several times and we ran the car without the exhaust (LOUD!) but the problem seemed to still be present
- we visually checked the harmonic balancer (crankshaft pulley) and it seems to spin without any vibration. Tomorrow I'm going to have this pulley removed to run the car without it and to see if it helps.
- the mechanic used a stethoscope to search for the source of the vibration - the most vibration is coming from the oil filter housing, steel pipes to the engine oil cooler and the engine oil pump seems to be excessively noisy.

I've already purchased a replacement engine oil pump, but I'm still hesitating to have it replaced as everyone is telling me that a bad engine oil pump can cause sounds but not vibrations on the steering wheel and pedals.

Like I said there are no active fault codes present through STAR, but I'm starting to thing whether it could be happening due to a faulty coil pack or faulty fuel injector which isn't triggering any codes.

I'd appreciate any input on this.