Sponsored by:

head bolt replacement issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2017 | 04:09 AM

C63 AMG, CLK 63 Black series, CLS63 AMG shooting brake
Thumbs down head bolt replacement issue

Hi guys,
I will try to keep my story as short as possible... I have a C63 AMG since I'm aware about the head bolt issue I would like to replace them so I asked a quote to my MB dealer.Yesterday I received my quote, the costs will be 17k € for a replacement in 'worst case scenario'. On this moment I don't have any problems so it's just a replacement. He told me they need to measure some values and if the values are not okay to AMG terms they need to replace other stuff too. Not necessary in my opinion. I just asked a replacement of the head bolts to the newer design, not a full engine rebuild.
To be honest I hate to spend extra money on a designer faulth of Mercedes but I believe in Mercedes and their M156 engine as they perform like a champ. On the other way I really felt mad and sad when I got the quote. Looking for other solutions now...
Old 11-09-2017 | 04:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'04 E55 (Gone but not forgotten), '13 C63 P31 (RIP), another '13 C63 PP
You should be able to find a good independent shop to replace them with ARP head studs for like less than a third of that..

I'd definitely be calling shops around you.
Old 11-09-2017 | 04:31 AM

Thanks for your answer, sir. I would love to go to independent shops to solve the problem but I live in Belgium and we don't have those in my country. So the best way to go here is to go to the official dealer.
I believe in Germany (only 4 hours away from my home) there are independent shops, if someone knows people, let me know.
Old 11-09-2017 | 05:16 AM

C63
Originally Posted by Mathi
Thanks for your answer, sir. I would love to go to independent shops to solve the problem but I live in Belgium and we don't have those in my country. So the best way to go here is to go to the official dealer.
I believe in Germany (only 4 hours away from my home) there are independent shops, if someone knows people, let me know.
in your case, you would be better off selling the car. 17 k euro is crazy.
Old 11-09-2017 | 05:44 AM

I'm sure there are shops around in Europe that can fix this for way less than 17k€! I just don't know them yet...
I love the car and I love the engine so selling it would be the easiest solution but will not happen
Old 11-09-2017 | 06:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

12 C63BS Magno Alanite Grey, 22 X3M Brooklyn Grey, 08 BMW E93, 22 Ducati Desert Sled, John Deere 3R
Find a good shop in Germany and you should be able to get it done for a lot less money at an independent especially if they have not had any issues, then they can just do one bolt at a time and not pull the heads. It will be worth the drive for the savings for sure.
Old 11-09-2017 | 12:53 PM
SPONSOR

2007 Mercedes E63 AMG
i'd honestly drive or ship my car somewhere that is reputable and have this done. i spent $5,300 USD for this as well as other things. they did not remove the heads, but did the one bolt at a time method.

​​​Follow us on instagram @eightysixtuned
https://www.eightysixtuned.com
Old 11-09-2017 | 01:56 PM

2009 C63 AMG
OK couple things.

Get the price quote with labor rates and parts on paper. They are most likely quoting you for everything that they are required to replace under warranty for a failure. You only need the headbolts and change other parts upon inspection of the components. Many will do the buckets, adjusters or cams when necessary.

APR studs are not necessary and may cause the dealer/indie shop to not warranty their work with outside parts.

When we say sell the car we meant trade it up for a 2012 that has all the updated parts. You'll get the same motor agian.
Old 11-09-2017 | 04:15 PM
SPONSOR

2007 Mercedes E63 AMG
they're probably quoting removal of both heads including being sent off for cleaning. that whole process is much pricier than bolt by bolt replacement method.

​​​Follow us on instagram @eightysixtuned
https://www.eightysixtuned.com
Old 11-10-2017 | 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Mag1c Carp3t
OK couple things.

Get the price quote with labor rates and parts on paper. They are most likely quoting you for everything that they are required to replace under warranty for a failure. You only need the headbolts and change other parts upon inspection of the components. Many will do the buckets, adjusters or cams when necessary.

APR studs are not necessary and may cause the dealer/indie shop to not warranty their work with outside parts.

When we say sell the car we meant trade it up for a 2012 that has all the updated parts. You'll get the same motor agian.
Exactly, there are even 8 new pistons on the quote... Never asked but on the quote... The idea that they quoted it with the intension they MAYBE need it is frightening. Why can they just quote the work and the bolts... It's all that I was asking.