C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Fail intake manifold swirl flaps M156 2007 ML63

Old 12-11-2017, 05:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 ML63
Fail intake manifold swirl flaps M156 2007 ML63

Hey guys anyone experience this before? The swirl flaps inside the intake manifold that create turbulence and ultimately keep the engine operating smoothly and efficiently have failed on my07 ML63.

when i rev the car there is a really loud knock from within the intake manifold so we took it out to make sure nothing had broken loose and found the actuating mechanism that opens and closes the swirl flaps and the swirl flaps themselves have quote a bit of play and wear.

are these replaceable or do i need a whole new manifold? we were also really surprised to find quite a bit of oil not only inside the manifold but resting on the block where the manifold usually sits.

any help would be great guys. Thanks
Old 12-12-2017, 12:20 AM

Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts
2014 C63 Coupe
Oil in the intake can be fixed with a catch can or “air and oil separator.” As far as the flaps go, no idea.
Old 12-12-2017, 07:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts
W212 - E63 AMG
Replacement intake manifold FTW, It's not a serviceable part.

Just get a replacement from a car being parted out on eBay.
Old 12-12-2017, 07:15 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 ML63
Thanks guys. Good point with regard to the oil building up but im baffled how so much of it found its way under the intake manifold. I wish it was easy to source second hand parts for these motora here in Australia. Unfortunately they are scarce and most sellers only want to sell them complete somewhere around the 10k mark for an m156 down under.

my issues got worse today. we put the bad manifold back on after a good clean and after running the car its throwing codes related to rhs exhaust cam hall sensor which i think is also the position sensor, fault for the fuel pressure sensor that sits on the fuel rail and missfiring on cyl 1, 2 and 3. **** just got real.

so the guys are pulling it back apart tomorrow to recheck their work after doing the cam adjuster fix (which works a treat btw) they are suspected a possible break in the wiring loom because cam sensors were swapped from left to right and the error is still on the right.

i personally think they've put something in incorrectly and suspect the 3 metal rings that on the gear between the cam adjusters and the solenoid has slipped and come out of the grooves.

the joys of owning an m156.
Old 12-15-2017, 03:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stage 3 C63 Coupe
Originally Posted by izzyz
Thanks guys. Good point with regard to the oil building up but im baffled how so much of it found its way under the intake manifold. I wish it was easy to source second hand parts for these motora here in Australia. Unfortunately they are scarce and most sellers only want to sell them complete somewhere around the 10k mark for an m156 down under.

my issues got worse today. we put the bad manifold back on after a good clean and after running the car its throwing codes related to rhs exhaust cam hall sensor which i think is also the position sensor, fault for the fuel pressure sensor that sits on the fuel rail and missfiring on cyl 1, 2 and 3. **** just got real.

so the guys are pulling it back apart tomorrow to recheck their work after doing the cam adjuster fix (which works a treat btw) they are suspected a possible break in the wiring loom because cam sensors were swapped from left to right and the error is still on the right.

i personally think they've put something in incorrectly and suspect the 3 metal rings that on the gear between the cam adjusters and the solenoid has slipped and come out of the grooves.

the joys of owning an m156.
i have a P31 (dark gray) intake manifold off my m156 if you are interested. Located in the U.S., shipping may not be cheap but let me know. Only 29k miles on it, went with a supercharger. Pm me if so. You will just need to swap your throttle bodies and accessories over.
Old 05-24-2021, 10:07 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CL 63 AMG
Intake still available?

Originally Posted by saitesd1

i have a P31 (dark gray) intake manifold off my m156 if you are interested. Located in the U.S., shipping may not be cheap but let me know. Only 29k miles on it, went with a supercharger. Pm me if so. You will just need to swap your throttle bodies and accessories over.
Hi, would you happen to still have this intake manifold? I am willing to pay the shipping, I am tearing down IM after a PCV Valve change, long story short ended up damaging the IM vaccum hose.
Old 05-16-2023, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 C63 AMG
The intake flaps on my 2008 C63 AMG are clicking pretty loud and now the intake is off the car, they seem to be bent. Looking for replacement ones or a whole intake if someone has one they took off to install a supercharger. Email me and let me know what you have. Thanks! Phil