C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

2009 C63 P0410 Engine code Secondary air injection

Old 12-13-2017, 08:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 ML320 2009 C63 AMG 1978 JEEP CJ7 2007 Suzuki GSXR 600
Exclamation 2009 C63 P0410 Engine code Secondary air injection

Can anybody tell me if they have had any issues with this code going off? Here is the story.

I bought the car Halloween this year that day the engine light came on. The TPS light was on from the second tests drive I took and they said they would fix whatever that issue was no problem. I thought when the engine light came on it had something to do with the tire pressure system. I found out that it in fact didn't and that it was the P0410 code "Secondary Air Injection". So after a nightmare of time passing with it at the dealer I got it from, and who is supposed to fix it now, due to some scheduling and communication breakdown between the service center the car sat there for 2 weeks with nothing done to it before I finally called and went there and got them working on the car. Now its been three weeks and I got the answer.

There is a port within the Cylinder head on the right bank that is clogged with carbon. The pump works the sensors and relays are all fine. So what I want to know is if any of you have had this issue or known anything about it? Im finding that it is a very expensive and time consuming fix as they have to dig into the engine quite a bit. The left bank of cylinders is flowing air at appropriate volumes so the dealer agreed to pay for one side the problem side. The quote to fix one side is $3500 and another $3500 for the other side if I want it. So I am now in the predicament of do I keep the car, see if I can "return" the car or what my options are here. If one sides clogged is the other doomed to clog as well? If I keep the car (which I would like to do) will I run into this problem on the left side down the line and have to pay to get it fixed. The other kind of funny thing is is it doesn't effect the operation of the engine. She runs perfect and strong. I have asked a little and it makes sense because it is just an emissions thing that it won't ever effect the motor even long term. So hypothetically I don't have to fix it it I would just prefer it fixed obviously. I have been told by two different mechanics that one way this can happen is if the car is just putted around in and not driven very hard to allow the carbon to burn out. These engines like to be fed some speed and RPMs thats how they are built. So I do like the fact that it seems like the previous owners were easy on the car and that if I do keep it it'll be newly fixed (one side at least).

I hope all of that made some sense and hopefully maybe somebody else has experienced this and can help me out with some comments answers advice any of the above would be much appreciated. This was my first time buying a car from a dealer like this and its honestly turned into a night mare. Of the 6 weeks I have owned the car its spent 3 weeks back at the dealer and set for another 2 weeks for the fix time as of next Tuesday. That'll mean they will have essentially had it the first month I owned the car which I am not too happy about either. I will be meeting with the GM of the dealership tomorrow and discuss my keeping the car or not options. He is who I finally had to get to to get the car worked on when I brought it in and it sat there for two weeks untouched, that was another employees mess up and he was fired I guess because he did this to several people. Anyways it has been a terrible first car buying experience I really hope they do the right thing and make this better for me than worse for me. I am happy they have agreed to at least fix the issue at hand. Anyways now I am just mumbling on in frustrations so thank you again for anything anyone has to say.
Thanks all!!

Also the C63 what a machine am I right!! Oh I want to keep her so bad. I have plans and dreams for her and have had dreams of one and didn't think I was going to be able to make it happen but I did so I wanna keep it!!

Last edited by Downhilskier9; 12-13-2017 at 08:23 AM.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,810 Likes on 1,664 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
Return the car. There are plenty of good problem-free examples on the market. And get one with the headbolts already fixed, or a 2012+ car.