Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pre-facelift OEM Headlight Retrofit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2018 | 11:52 AM

2009 C63 AMG, 2010 C250 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by jptaylor
ok, you REALLY need to consider running dual lo/dual hi setup on your retrofit. ideally all 4 lo beams will be on ALL THE TIME. If you don't set it up like this you will be MISERABLE as soon as you start driving it as whenever you go to hi beam(or flash to pass) the "other" projector HID bulb/ballasts will have to light off and warm up before they are any good. If you run a true dual beam setup then your "other bulbs/ballasts" will already be 100% when you need hi beam for whatever as all that will occur will be the solenoids will activate to go hi beam. Also, the constant on/off/on/off/on/off the "other bulbs/ballasts" would be subjected to is NOT really that good on the ballasts and could very easily cause them to fail pretty quickly. The mid 2000s S-Class ran the quad setup with 4 lo beams on all the time from the factory so it is NOT like it would be a unicorn. The only change youd have to make would be splitting each side headlights lo/hi (+) feed so that it could trigger each ballast and solenoid. The easiest thing to do would be to run a dual output relay harness(1 output for each ballast) to each headlight and then use the factory lo beam wire in the OEM harness to trigger the relay to power up each ballast. Splitting the hi beam you dont need a relay as ALL it would be doing was triggering the hi beam solenoids on each projector......Just my $0.02, but i have been there, done that, and then REDONE it afterwards because it was horrible to live with in the real world........
Agreed completely and I actually had a set of morimoto ballasts running them, which of course took way too long to fire up. I found a set of ballasts specifically designed to fire up nice and quickly (acme speedystart), and they do. They're bright within a few seconds. As for the wear on the ballasts, I've found a way to program a delay for igniting the (originally halogen) spotlights, so flashing high beams will only activate the solenoids in the original projector instead of ruining the secondary projector ballasts with intermittent use.

You're definitely not wrong though, I do want to run quad low/hi constantly. I'll be doing that whenever I decide to fully upgrade to the evoxr projectors, I just don't have enough time this spring to do it all. I still need to install an LSD and replace my engine mounts, and a bunch of other stuff
Old 03-06-2018 | 11:54 AM

2009 C63 P30, 2008 Grand Cherokee SRT8(RIP)
Originally Posted by Funkwagen
Agreed completely and I actually had a set of morimoto ballasts running them, which of course took way too long to fire up. I found a set of ballasts specifically designed to fire up nice and quickly (acme speedystart), and they do. They're bright within a few seconds. As for the wear on the ballasts, I've found a way to program a delay for igniting the (originally halogen) spotlights, so flashing high beams will only activate the solenoids in the original projector instead of ruining the secondary projector ballasts with intermittent use.

You're definitely not wrong though, I do want to run quad low/hi constantly. I'll be doing that whenever I decide to fully upgrade to the evoxr projectors, I just don't have enough time this spring to do it all. I still need to install an LSD and replace my engine mounts, and a bunch of other stuff

Understood, when you get ready let me know and i can shoot you a schematic of how to build the dual outfeed relay harness along with what wires need to be tapped either inside the housing or in the OEM harness(being as the relays would be external tapping the harness makes most sense)
Old 04-09-2018 | 10:10 AM

2009 C63 AMG, 2010 C250 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by jptaylor
Understood, when you get ready let me know and i can shoot you a schematic of how to build the dual outfeed relay harness along with what wires need to be tapped either inside the housing or in the OEM harness(being as the relays would be external tapping the harness makes most sense)
Definitely interested in that, I'm looking forward to next season and making it a true quad setup. Just wish I had the time this time around. They're finished now, I'm trying to get some output shots but my phone is totally useless at it. The cutoffs are much sharper and the light output has definitely improved, although I suspect that's mostly due to having new bulbs. The high beams work very well - they are very bright and the pattern is very wide. Warmup time is still slightly noticeable, but that just comes with the territory of HID. I've saved the cutoff shields/actuator for next year.

The headlights sealed up nicely when I was finished, using a heat gun, some clamps, and a roll of morimoto butyl sealant. I put some silica packets in each headlight to take care of any remaining moisture so they don't fog up. No signs of fogging yet, even on rainy and humid days.

edit: and yes I went ahead and etched the AMG logo onto the drivers side clear lense. I've removed the badging on the trunk of my car, and it'd be a shame to not relocate that AMG logo

Old 05-10-2020 | 04:52 PM

2009 C350
Originally Posted by AMG3.2
Thanks! They're actually an Eagle Eyes set retrofitted with Morimoto EvoX-R 2.0 projectors.
So did you go from xenon to non-xenons?

Do you have a link you can share where you bought the headlights?

Old 10-18-2021 | 02:01 PM

C300 2010 4matic
Still around

@Funkwagen hey man I just went through intensive reading, I understand its old stuff but for me as it's my first Benz, (after having brand new cars twice beforeand many others)
I am in live with it will save for younger one for sure.
Anyways I am currently planning on retrofit my headlights but Im scared to be left behind and having no true help.
Just knowing you are still around will make me order stuff and follow your steps.
So Areyou🤔???
Jonathan
QC, Canada 🇨🇦😊