Advice Please...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 08:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 Audi s4
Advice Please...

Hi All,

Long time lurker and potentially first time MB buyer looking for advice. I have my eye on a '15 C63 507 that was sold by MB Finance this past summer at auction to a dealer. My understanding (unless I am reading this Carfax wrong) that the car seems to have been a corporate vehicle. And there are some questions I have that I hope long time MB car guys can maybe answer?

1. Does MB Finance perform an inspection when taking the vehicle back from a lease? And if they do, do they fix any issues?
2. The car is in VA and has gone through a VA State Safety inspection. And on VA's DMV site they say they look at brakes and rotors. My concern is that both of these have more wear and tear and that I will have to replace them two weeks later or some such nonsense...would this type of inspection make this a little to non issue?
3. I read on another thread that MB will not sell you an extended warranty if you buy an auction car from a non-MB site? Even if you still have time on the original factory warranty? True?

Also is there anything you would keep an eye out for when considering buying a a used off lease vehicle from a non-MB seller?

Thanks again!
Old 02-07-2018, 09:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 123 Posts
'04 E55 (Gone but not forgotten), '13 C63 P31 (RIP), another '13 C63 PP
Yes, they inspect fleet vehicles when they get them back. Chances are there was some issue with it, so they sent it straight to auction. If it was good to go, they'd have sold it on one of their lots or even certified it for a CPO. Especially a 2015. They aren't going to lose face to sell a used car with problems to someone to make a few grand.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:04 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
B5S4, 2013 P31 C63
I am in central VA if it's here and you need someone to lay eyes on it.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:29 AM

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
991 GT3, W212 E63-S 4Matic, W205 C300 Sport 4Matic
See if dealer will work with you to have a pre purchase inspection done (should run about $250-300] on the car by a Indy repair shop or AMG center.
I purchased my 2014 C63 under similar circumstances. The car still had about 9 months of warranty on it when I bought it. I checked everything out and had them fix a oil leak, the sunroof and even prematurely worn leather seat bolster. Any sqeak or rattle have them fix it. Have them fix any blown speakers.

Unfortunately the brakes may need to be replaced and that’s not covered under warranty. Don’t buy Mercedes brakes go with Racing Brake hardware I think they are still a sponsor of this forum, I did a 2 piece lightweight replacement job on both axles of my car for the price of just doing front if I would’ve bought oem parts.

My my car wasn’t in near perfect cosmetic shape, I think that why MB Financial sent my car to auction. (Lots of rock chips a couple of moderate scratches). I had the hood and bumper repainted and then had the car paint corrected and fully wrapped in paint protection film.

Once the car is out of warranty open a small savings account and automatically withdraw $50 a week from your money flow accounts for miscellaneous repairs down the road. I don’t like how most third party warranty companies do business. The 2015 C63 507 should be fairly reliable. I’ve had zero issues with mine (owned it for over a year ) except for the steering wheel adjustment motor just had a sensor go bad while sitting in storage.

Old 02-07-2018, 10:44 AM

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts
2014 C63 Edition 507
Originally Posted by G_Money
Yes, they inspect fleet vehicles when they get them back. Chances are there was some issue with it, so they sent it straight to auction. If it was good to go, they'd have sold it on one of their lots or even certified it for a CPO. Especially a 2015. They aren't going to lose face to sell a used car with problems to someone to make a few grand.
Just because MB Finance sends it through auction doesn't mean there is an issue with the car, or there is a higher risk of issue with the car. It just means, it's run it's corporate course of intended use and it's time to let the dealers have a crack at it. These auctions are a prime source of inventory for dealers. My car went through the exact same process as a retired ADA car. Now, in my case, the car went through it's reconditioning before auction: rotors, pads, tires, fluid change etc through the ADA, from there, the purchasing dealer did the CPO inspection, again, in my case they discovered a speaker that needed replacing, so they give it the final CPO sign of approval.

OP - if your happy with the car, I say go for it. Could be the car was not CPO eligible because of the mileage, or the purchase by a non MB dealer. With regards to the warranty, someone correct me if I'm wrong her, but if it's still under MB warranty, you should be able to extend that. If not, then there are other aftermarket vendors you can look at, like Fidelity.

And you can always get a PPI from a MB dealer to get their take on it. That would always be a smart thing to do, no matter who you buy from
Old 02-07-2018, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 Audi s4
Thanks for the reply's and the offer to take a look at it.
I have been doing some digging and have confirmed what most people have said about MB auctions through my local MB dealership.
And the car has 28K+ miles on it and the Carfax says that it had some minor damage to the front. The report also lists TrueFrame.com finding for prior cosmetic damage. Also I looked at the wheels and they seem to be summer tires, so I would need to replace them as well.

The MB dealer is looking around to see if they can find any CPO's that they can sell me based on my price range. And he told me about a special MB is running right now on CPO's. Strangely enough (a positive I think) is that when he was telling me about the finance options he said (Yeah we have 72 month but I dont advise ever doing that). So thats a small plus for him. lol
And he also recommended getting it inspected as well. But we will see if the first dealer will do it, since VA seems to be an 'as is' state.