Calling All Carbon Fiber Hood Owners

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 08:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,827 Likes on 1,670 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
Originally Posted by agp423
Of course it's for cosmetic purpose... if I wanted one for actual use I wouldn't care if it had a German flag on it...
And just an FYI, the one you linked to on eBay is not only the wrong length but also the wrong diameter and thread pitch. Our tow hook is a weird M22x3.0 with a long throw. Most other manufacturers are M15. Just something to be aware of.
Old 08-09-2018, 02:24 PM

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
2013 C63, 2018 GLC63
Originally Posted by BLKROKT

And just an FYI, the one you linked to on eBay is not only the wrong length but also the wrong diameter and thread pitch. Our tow hook is a weird M22x3.0 with a long throw. Most other manufacturers are M15. Just something to be aware of.
Got it, thanks. One day I'll find the right tow hook and the right hood emblem.
Old 08-09-2018, 04:02 PM

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts
2013 c63
Sorry for the hijack.. Back to original topic, has anyone painted their CF hood to match car and how did it come out?
Old 08-09-2018, 05:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 398 Likes on 276 Posts
'13 C63 AMG P31
Originally Posted by kavik
Sorry for the hijack.. Back to original topic, has anyone painted their CF hood to match car and how did it come out?
Here are some examples:
I know Mode Carbon has posted some pics before as well.
Old 08-11-2018, 07:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63
Hey guys, I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a CF hood for by 2009 C63. I really like Dad's with the vents. Thinking of painting it black but leaving the vents in CF. I also like Seibon's hoods. Does anyone have concerns about Dad's ? Amazon has them for $1895, seems like a good deal. Thoughts? Thanks Guys.
Old 10-07-2018, 02:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 E550
Back from the dead... I time for Halloween. I'm actually a w212 guy. But I was wanting to know how many of you guys are using Hood pins with your carbon fiber hoods?
Old 10-31-2018, 12:15 AM

Received 167 Likes on 112 Posts
2009 C63 P30
Originally Posted by rhampleman
Hey guys, I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a CF hood for by 2009 C63. I really like Dad's with the vents. Thinking of painting it black but leaving the vents in CF. I also like Seibon's hoods. Does anyone have concerns about Dad's ? Amazon has them for $1895, seems like a good deal. Thoughts? Thanks Guys.
Did you buy this off Amazon after all? Strange as most info suggests these hoods are long discontinued.
Old 10-31-2018, 11:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Crya
Did you buy this off Amazon after all? Strange as most info suggests these hoods are long discontinued.
I was ready to pull the trigger on this hood a while back also (I eventually ended up with the carbon creations vented hood). The reason I didn't go with with the MHP (Dads) is because I tried contacting MHP through Amazon and Facebook and I never got a response from anyone. I didn't want to risk rolling the dice on a $1,900 purchase even though I knew Amazon would probably refund me if anything went sour.

Last edited by BMWho; 10-31-2018 at 11:49 AM.
Old 10-31-2018, 12:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 408 Likes on 290 Posts
'10 C63
Originally Posted by BMWho
I was ready to pull the trigger on this hood a while back also (I eventually ended up with the carbon creations vented hood). The reason I didn't go with with the MHP (Dads) is because I tried contacting MHP through Amazon and Facebook and I never got a response from anyone. I didn't want to risk rolling the dice on a $1,900 purchase even though I knew Amazon would probably refund me if anything went sour.
MHP. Oh man. yeah, good call. They are sketch AF and there are many stories of people losing their money with them. Any pics of your CF hood?
Old 10-31-2018, 12:23 PM

2009 C63 P30
OK that's what I assumed as well. Not sure what all is involved in becoming an Amazon vendor but when I saw the retailer, that they show only 1 available, and that shipping was $4.95, I figured it was too good to be true. Link to the carbon creations version?
Old 10-31-2018, 01:58 PM

2011 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by chrisridebike8
MHP. Oh man. yeah, good call. They are sketch AF and there are many stories of people losing their money with them. Any pics of your CF hood?
Here are a couple pics. I will say that I ran into a lot of quality issues with the hood... Long story short I sorted it out with Car ID, Carbon Creations also owned up to it so I give them credit for their customer service.

Old 10-31-2018, 02:02 PM

2011 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Nicolas Farinas
Back from the dead... I time for Halloween. I'm actually a w212 guy. But I was wanting to know how many of you guys are using Hood pins with your carbon fiber hoods?
Personally I did not. The installers were able to install my hood using the OEM hardware (minus the hold open springs) and the CF hood I have is CF with a metal panel under so it has decent anchorage.
Old 10-31-2018, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 408 Likes on 290 Posts
'10 C63
Thanks for the pics. that is a nice looking hood. any issues with water getting in the engine bay or do you have the little baffles that a stock 507 hood would have?
Old 10-31-2018, 04:34 PM

2011 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by chrisridebike8
Thanks for the pics. that is a nice looking hood. any issues with water getting in the engine bay or do you have the little baffles that a stock 507 hood would have?
No baffles as of now. The only time water is even a thought is when I wash it, but then I just stuff a couple of towels in the vents and hand wash the hood It's garaged 99% of the time, its not my daily and it hardly rains here so I can't say I've had any issues with water. Who knows maybe one day I'll add some baffles.
The following users liked this post:
chrisridebike8 (10-31-2018)
Old 10-31-2018, 04:40 PM

2009 C63 P30
So what were the issues with Carbon Creations? Did you receive a flawed hood which they swapped or? Would you recommend them otherwise? Since we are PFL I undersrtand we had heavier hoods than FL. Was the weight savings pretty obvious or did you go mainly for aesthetics?
Old 10-31-2018, 07:59 PM

2011 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Crya
So what were the issues with Carbon Creations? Did you receive a flawed hood which they swapped or? Would you recommend them otherwise? Since we are PFL I undersrtand we had heavier hoods than FL. Was the weight savings pretty obvious or did you go mainly for aesthetics?
The CF mesh in one small area was moved out of place exposing the substrate beneath. The clear coat also had pin sized bubbles on the surface in a few isolated places. A handful of minor flaws like that which added up to enough to make me unhappy with the hood. I'm a little surprised the hood made it through their QC.

For me it was all of the above. I get some weight savings (it all adds up right?) and it looks killer. Plus I have future plans of a stage 3 SC so helping to reduce engine bay temperatures was another bonus!
Old 11-06-2018, 12:16 PM

2009 C63 P30
Originally Posted by BMWho
The CF mesh in one small area was moved out of place exposing the substrate beneath. The clear coat also had pin sized bubbles on the surface in a few isolated places. A handful of minor flaws like that which added up to enough to make me unhappy with the hood. I'm a little surprised the hood made it through their QC.

For me it was all of the above. I get some weight savings (it all adds up right?) and it looks killer. Plus I have future plans of a stage 3 SC so helping to reduce engine bay temperatures was another bonus!
Can you post some pics of the underside of the hood, with it open? My hood is the '09 all steel version and super heavy...looking for something I don't need to use hood pins with and still save a bunch of weight.
Old 11-18-2022, 04:23 AM

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
C63 AMG
Ok, I'm going to revive this thread.

I have a 2014 Sedan that I've looking for a 507 CF hood.
Mode Carbon seems to have the proper design, but their history, even recently brought up by @Lizard makes me want to look around a bit more.
I've tried reaching out to a couple of these vendors, but don't seem to get any traction.

Can anyone confirm functionality of the vents on any of these CF hoods? Does anyone know anything better?

From the OP:
Brand (style) / price / weight:

VIS Racing (DTM) / $2490 / Link - Website with 1 pic seems a bit of a gamble.
Darwin Pro Aero (Black Series) / $1400 / Link - Don't seem to be able to return an email
Carbon Creations (Black Series) / $1,059.00 / Link - Fiberglass is the only one i can find, their website is just trash.
Mode Carbon FL (Black Series) / $3000 / 27lbs - confirmed functionality on vents, good shape. Supposedly they still sell it, but MC...

Others:
Seibon (DTM) / $1530 / Doesn't have a 507 style, just their custom DTM
Dad's (Suncoast ) is out of business? suncoastcreations.com is no longer a thing anyway

Would appreciate some advice!
Cheers,
Old 11-18-2022, 05:22 AM

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts
2010 c63
Bought a Seibon carbon hood last year, excellent quality, perfect fitment, vents actually work and make a difference
Old 11-18-2022, 10:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63S AMG
Originally Posted by BHimself
Ok, I'm going to revive this thread.

I have a 2014 Sedan that I've looking for a 507 CF hood.
Mode Carbon seems to have the proper design, but their history, even recently brought up by @Lizard makes me want to look around a bit more.
I've tried reaching out to a couple of these vendors, but don't seem to get any traction.

Can anyone confirm functionality of the vents on any of these CF hoods? Does anyone know anything better?

From the OP:
Brand (style) / price / weight:

VIS Racing (DTM) / $2490 / Link - Website with 1 pic seems a bit of a gamble.
Darwin Pro Aero (Black Series) / $1400 / Link - Don't seem to be able to return an email
Carbon Creations (Black Series) / $1,059.00 / Link - Fiberglass is the only one i can find, their website is just trash.
Mode Carbon FL (Black Series) / $3000 / 27lbs - confirmed functionality on vents, good shape. Supposedly they still sell it, but MC...

Others:
Seibon (DTM) / $1530 / Doesn't have a 507 style, just their custom DTM
Dad's (Suncoast ) is out of business? suncoastcreations.com is no longer a thing anyway

Would appreciate some advice!
Cheers,
While Mode Carbon had a little bit of wonky history I think I would still trust them enough to give them a try. They've been around for a minute and appear to make quality parts, although I don't have any experience with that brand personally.

Seibon stuff has been a hit or a miss in my experience. It typically fits well but the gaps sometimes leave some room to be desired. They come in at a great price point but you 100% HAVE to inspect the package for damages immediately. I purchased some items for a customer and ended up going through hell trying to get them to issue a return/replacement. They required they we take a video of cutting the item in half just to prove we weren't trying to pull a fast one on them.

Darwin Pro, while being a lesser known knock off brand compared to Seibon, does have some nice parts. I've purchased a front bumper and diffuser for another customer that both impressed me more than I expected.

All in all I just wouldn't expect the fitment of any aftermarket carbon to be 100% perfect unless it's truly some high quality, low production, dry carbon piece.