C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Video: ARH LTH + Meisterschaft GT2 (with two sets of high flow cats)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 07:20 PM

Received 66 Likes on 29 Posts
996 Turbo, E86 Z4M, GLE 63 AMGs
Video: ARH LTH + Meisterschaft GT2 (with two sets of high flow cats)

Hi All,

Wanted to share a clip of my current setup. Apart from the usual FI, AP, Armytrix, Remus and stock mufflers.

I could only find one other video with Meisterchaft’s GT stainless axelback.

I started my exhaust “adventure” with the following setups:

1. Stock headers, mike’s secondary cat delete (H-Pipe) with resonator delete.

Tone: PERFECT AMG sound.
Volume: maybe 10-15% louder than stock.

2. ARH headers with ARH high flow cats + mike’s resonator delete + stock mufflers.

Tone: High Pitched, Raspy and somewhat uncontrolled when WOT.
Volume: 45% louder than stock.

3. ARH headers with ARH high flow cats + Remus cat back.

Tone: Bassier, a little higher pitched than scenario
Volume: 10-15% louder than stock. Similar to stock headers + cat and resonator delete + stock mufflers.

Great sound. But was too muffled for me.

4. ARH headers with ARH high flow cats + resonator delete + Meisterchaft GT2 mufflers.

Tone: Bassier + AMG rumble back
Volume: 100% louder than stock. NASCAR loud. Got pulled over for just starting the car. Cop thought I was revving it in a parking lot.

5. Same as Scenario 4 with added set of Soul Performance 200CEL metallic cats very similar to HJS, but a little smaller diameter to fit them on the res delete pipes.
Tone: Bassier + AMG rumble + exoticness?
Volume: 50% louder than stock.

wanted to share this because it was quite the hassle chasing my “perfect sound”. The current setup allows you to hear the exhaust even at low rpms. But at the same time, go crazy at wot. In my opinion. It was everything I was looking for in an aftermarket exhaust. Took a lot of trial and error, but I found what I was looking for. Hoping this will help other members from playing around with different setups.

The video doesnt perfectly demonstrate the volume this system makes. To note: acceleration was about 50% throttle up to about 4/5K rpms. (Didn’t have enough room to open her up further). Temps was in the low 30s, so traction was going to be tough. Most people ask if the extra set of cats meant a loss in power. Possibly 2-5hp. But I can’t feel it on my butt dyno.

Will try and get a better video up soon!
Old 03-18-2018, 07:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,576 Likes on 929 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
Doesn't 2 sets of cats kind of defeat the purpose of headers?
The following users liked this post:
BLKROKT (03-18-2018)
Old 03-18-2018, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Jasonoff
Doesn't 2 sets of cats kind of defeat the purpose of headers?
they are high flow cats. So no where near the stock 4 cats restriction from the stock system.

With good high flow cats. You are not really loosing any flow. - that’s what I have learnt with my experiences anyway.

Some porsche builds have tested HJS high flow cats vs catless. And the gains are negligible. Have yet to dyno to really know. But the exhaust smell with 2 high flows vs 4 high flows didn’t make much of a difference. You still smell the combustion vs the stock with secondary cat delete.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,576 Likes on 929 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
Those headers would probably sound the same as factory logs with primary delete mated with the rest of your current setup.

You could probably save some money selling the headers if it's just the sound you're after.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Jasonoff
Those headers would probably sound the same as factory logs with primary delete mated with the rest of your current setup.

You could probably save some money selling the headers if it's just the sound you're after.
High flow cats don’t loose all the power that headers make. There have been many tests showing that high quality metallic cats show anywhere from 0hp loss to 5hp loss.
In in terms of flow, these HJS cats show very little restriction. Lots of dyno out there to support the difference between catless + HJS High flows to be negligible.
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1473073
https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204/497297-anyone-running-cats-their-headers.html

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...hem-quick.html (Another member with 4 cats on his LTH)
I think this is the best compromise for sound + power.

The consensus on this forum is that headers see about 25-50hp gains (wheel). If you account for super restrictive ceramic cats as the worst loss in power thats about 5whp per set of cats. Multiply that by two, and my worst case power loss is 10hp. Thats a fraction that i am totally willing to live with for the smell + sound volume. That said, i really need to take the car to they dyno, because the mid range pull felt alot stronger with the second set of cats.

Last edited by hadam3; 03-19-2018 at 08:58 AM.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:15 AM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
'13 C63 & AP2 S2000
Sounds delightful. I would remove those cats and add a resonator. Gain some HP back!

But then again, I wouldnt mess with it, Sounds awesome.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 368 Likes on 271 Posts
2005 E55
Video is not even close to how good this car sounds in person.

I bought his remus exh ott the OP and I didn't even want them after hearing his car with his current setup.

I'm also dealing with what he is going through as my car full catless and fi headers would trip 10 car alarms in a garage by just starting the car lol.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C63 Edition 1 Coupe
Hey, I am planning on picking up a new exhaust when I take my car out of storage next month (midwest) so maybe you can give some guidance. My car currently has MBH LTH with the midpipe and xpipe and factory resonator leading into factory mufflers. The sound is very clean but not as loud and aggressive as I'd like it to be. Right now I am planning on getting the meisterschaft axlebacks and hoping that it makes the car deeper and hopefully the factory resonator will keep it below nascar levels!

Video my exhaust sound
Old 03-19-2018, 02:12 PM

'13 C63 & AP2 S2000
^^^ Looks like your LSD (if you have) isnt doing a great job...
Old 03-19-2018, 02:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C63 Edition 1 Coupe
Originally Posted by gtracer
^^^ Looks like your LSD (if you have) isnt doing a great job...
Edition 1 didn't come with LSD
Old 03-19-2018, 08:59 PM

'13 C63 & AP2 S2000
Originally Posted by Nezzywezzy
Edition 1 didn't come with LSD
Then that should be on the top of your list! lol
Old 03-20-2018, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by gtracer
Sounds delightful. I would remove those cats and add a resonator. Gain some HP back!

But then again, I wouldnt mess with it, Sounds awesome.
Thanks! did the resonator route first, barely lowered the volume at all.

Originally Posted by skratch77

I bought his remus exh ott the OP and I didn't even want them after hearing his car with his current setup.

I'm also dealing with what he is going through as my car full catless and fi headers would trip 10 car alarms in a garage by just starting the car lol.
Thanks dude, hope all is well. I honestly think the remus with the resonator delete would have been perfect for me. Or full catless. Let me know how it goes!
Old 03-20-2018, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Nezzywezzy
Hey, I am planning on picking up a new exhaust when I take my car out of storage next month (midwest) so maybe you can give some guidance. My car currently has MBH LTH with the midpipe and xpipe and factory resonator leading into factory mufflers. The sound is very clean but not as loud and aggressive as I'd like it to be. Right now I am planning on getting the meisterschaft axlebacks and hoping that it makes the car deeper and hopefully the factory resonator will keep it below nascar levels!

Video my exhaust sound
Are you catless? I'd def check out meisterschaft then. Its the only other muffler that projects sound, and not muffle. Similar to the stock mufflers, but does not distort the sound. Its a lot clearer and crisp.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:55 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2013 P31 C63 Coupe
Originally Posted by skratch77

I just went full catless with an armytrix catback. Sound so nice but how do you deal with the smell?
Old 03-20-2018, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 368 Likes on 271 Posts
2005 E55
Originally Posted by myn8m3is8ndy
I just went full catless with an armytrix catback. Sound so nice but how do you deal with the smell?
add high flow cats in there.