Sponsored by:

Question of replacing the engine oil

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 04:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63
Question Question of replacing the engine oil

Guys, I'm going to change the oil in the engine. I will merge both from the engine and from the radiator. How many liters of oil should I then pour in engine?

And one more question, if the oil in the engine is small level - will the error on the dashboard light up?
Thank you in advance!
Old 04-04-2018, 07:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 432 Likes on 355 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
I drain the sump and the oil cooler and I add ~ 9 liters. So put in 8 liters and then top it up as required to get it to the bottom of the top red marker on the dipstick. I usually let it sit overnight and top it up the next day. I always have 10 liters just in case it takes more than 9 and it has on occasion.

If the oil level is low the sensor should turn on the warning in the dashboard but sensors can fail so there is no guarantee.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:44 AM

C63
I filled a 9 liters - level showed half. I drive. I drove 40 kilometers of the road. The next day I checked the level. He was downstairs.

The indicator on the dashboard did not light up.
I poured another 1.5 liters. The level was the maximum on a cold engine.
I started the engine. There was a knock of the lifters. He disappeared only after the temperature had risen to 50 degrees

PS - Tell me, something that could break in the engine if I was driving with this level of oil. as in the picture? The indicator on the dashboard did not light up. Why was knocking of the lifters?
Old 04-04-2018, 11:17 AM

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts
2008 E63 wagon (1 of 62)
The procedure for checking your oil level after an oil change and fill.. After you have added the 8-9 liters of oil and replaced the filter, you are supposed to close everything up (filler cap/filter) and then start the engine to let it warm up,take it for a short 5-10 minute drive or just let it sit there and idle on a flat surface. After the engine has reached normal operating temps, you are supposed to shut off the engine for at least 5 minutes and then check the oil on the dipstick. If you are checking the oil level when the engine is cold, it will always show the level as low.
The following 2 users liked this post by Racin_fool:
CyanideRide (04-04-2018), larrypmyers (04-06-2018)
Old 04-04-2018, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 432 Likes on 355 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
Is the level in the picture to the top of the middle marker? If so that is the bottom of the recommended level. I think the level will have to be a little lower for the warning to come on. Say at the bottom of the middle marker and you may have to drive it at that level for a while to activate the sensor warning.

You should not hurt anything driving with that level of oil in the engine
Old 04-06-2018, 03:48 AM

C63
Originally Posted by Mort
Is the level in the picture to the top of the middle marker? If so that is the bottom of the recommended level. I think the level will have to be a little lower for the warning to come on. Say at the bottom of the middle marker and you may have to drive it at that level for a while to activate the sensor warning.

You should not hurt anything driving with that level of oil in the engine
Yes it's to the top of the middle marker.
Why could ticking lifters on the next day after oil change? I do not understand.
Oil fresh. Before that, the car stay a month in garage , but I started engine and warmed it up several times.

Yesterday and today started the engine - no knocking.

Last edited by Emkovich; 04-06-2018 at 06:18 AM.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts
W212 - E63 AMG
Originally Posted by Emkovich
Yes it's to the top of the middle marker.
Why could ticking lifters on the next day after oil change? I do not understand.
Oil fresh. Before that, the car stay a month in garage , but I started engine and warmed it up several times.

Yesterday and today started the engine - no knocking.
If it makes you feel better, I had my oil change done at MB a couple of years ago, then a week later drove 100 miles away for a trip. When I came back to the car to go back home...the engine had the loud tick. I checked the oil and it was low like yours. I topped it up and the tick went away right away.

Don't worry unless it remains there. These engines seem to do these things at times,
Old 04-09-2018, 04:59 AM

C63

I poured 1 liter of oil,now the level is full.
Today start my engine - the lifters do not knock.
Guys, I'm worried, I could not spoil the engine if I driving with that level of oil?
Why were knocking my lifters

Last edited by Emkovich; 04-09-2018 at 05:11 AM.
Old 04-09-2018, 05:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts
W212 - E63 AMG
I poured 1 liter of oil,now the level is full.
Today start my engine - the lifters do not knock.
Guys, I could not spoil the engine if I driving with that level of oil?

Originally Posted by Celicasaur
If it makes you feel better, I had my oil change done at MB a couple of years ago, then a week later drove 100 miles away for a trip. When I came back to the car to go back home...the engine had the loud tick. I checked the oil and it was low like yours. I topped it up and the tick went away right away.
^ it's not ideal, but ultimately you will be fine.